On Thursday 7 June the Court of Appeal handed down judgment in Duce v Worcestershire Acute Hospitals...
No other set of chambers has greater breadth or depth of experience in health law.
The range of work covers not only Clinical Negligence and Inquests & Coroners, but also:
- Pharmaceutical and other medical product liability
- Mental health law, both before the MHRT and on judicial reviews of its decisions
- Medical tribunal work
- Cases involving ethical questions such as consent to treatment
- Cases involving questions of confidentiality
- Hospital reconfiguration challenges
- Access to specific treatments or drugs under the NHS, and challenges to their refusal
- Challenges to contractual terms imposed on GPs and dentists
In support of this practice area, we have a 24-hour emergency service to address such urgent matters as consent for treatment and injunctions concerning access to hospitals e.g. to protect hospital or healthcare staff.
Notable cases include:
- ABC v St George’s NHS Trust  EWCA Civ 336: Duty of doctors to inform a family member against patient’s wishes after diagnosis of Huntingdon’s disease.
- Darnley v Croydon Health Services NHS Trust  EWCA Civ 215: Liability of NHS hospital receptionists.
- Keep Wythenshaw Special v NHS Central Manchester CCG  EWHC: Reconfiguration of hospital services in the Greater Manchester Area.
- R (AM) v GMC  EWHC 2096]: Right to choose manner of death/assisted suicide.
- Winspear v City Hospitals Sunderland NHS FT  QB 691: Advance decision regarding resuscitation in respect of person lacking capacity.
- Stevens v University of Birmingham  ICR 96  4 All ER 258: Doctor’s disciplinary proceedings and contractual obligations.
- Whitston (Asbestos Victims Support Groups Forum UK) v Secretary of State for Justice  1 Costs LR 35: LASPO changes to mesothelioma claims.
- Tracey v Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust  QB 543: Do not resuscitate orders.
- R (BDA) v General Dental Council  EWHC 4311: Annual retention fee for dentists.
- R (JF) v NHS Sheffield Clinical Commissioning Group  EWHC 1345 (Admin): Ccommunity care and provision in hospital.
Philip Havers QC and Richard Mumford successfully resist appeal in consent case - Jun 2018
Philip Havers QC appears today in the Supreme Court in Darnley v Croydon Health Services - Jun 2018
1COR members featured in the latest AvMA Newsletter - Apr 2018
1COR sponsors BISWG ‘Risky Business: The Challenges of Acquired Brain Injury through the Stages of Life’ - Mar 2018
Jeremy Hyam QC successful in obtaining healthcare employment/disciplinary injunction - Mar 2018
The Liability of Private Hospitals and Clinics - Feb 2018
Jim Duffy in Subject Access Request win for GP - Feb 2018
Supreme Court will hear case involving the liability of the NHS for Hospital Receptionists - Oct 2017
John Whitting QC for the Medical Protection Society in a leading case in the Court of Appeal on the application of res ipsa loquitur in Clinical Negligence - Feb 2013
Philip Havers QC and Sydney Chawatama win in Court of Appeal on a matter of fact in breast cancer claim - Mar 2012
David Balcombe QC and Sarah Lambert in High Court clinical negligence claim for a breast cancer sufferer - Mar 2012
Martin Forde QC secures not proven decision from GMC Fitness to Practise for Consultant Anaesthetist - Sep 2011
Neil Garnham QC and Sydney Chawatama win appeal on mental health patients unlawful detention - Jan 2011
Must the family be told? Genetic information and liability for non-disclosure to relatives - Jan 2018
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Robert Kellar succeed in establishing vicarious liability of bank for sexual assaults - Aug 2017
Verdict of Neglect From Coroner in City Banker’s Death In Private Hospital - Oct 2016
Philip Havers QC and Shaheen Rahman to appear in the Supreme Court in prisoner smoking case - Oct 2016
Clodagh Bradley QC appears in landmark Appeal on Expert Evidence - Oct 2016
”Healthier Together” judicial review challenge dismissed - Jan 2016
1COR in Healthier Together judicial review - Dec 2015
Jeremy Hyam and Kate Beattie succeed for AvMA in duty of candour challenge - Jul 2015
John Whitting QC successfully defends Trust in wrongful birth claim and first case to test the scope of Montgomery - Apr 2015
Shaheen Rahman wins ruling on smoking in jail and the status of Crown premises - Mar 2015
John Whitting QC instructed as lead counsel in a pioneering product liability action against Novartis Plc - Jan 2015
Philip Havers QC, Jeremy Hyam and Kate Beattie in landmark Court of Appeal victory for patient rights in DNACPR decisions - Jun 2014
Neil Garnham QC and Jeremy Hyam in a case on the scope of a Clinical Commissioning Group’s s.3 duty under the NHS Act 2006 - May 2014
John Whitting QC in landmark decision by Court of Appeal about doctors’ responsibility for product literature - May 2014
Philip Havers QC, Jeremy Hyam and Kate Beattie appear in the Court of Appeal for the family of Janet Tracey - May 2014
Jeremy Hyam represents Crohn’s sufferer Elizabeth Rose in challenge to NHS refusal to fund freezing of her eggs before chemotherapy - Apr 2014
Neil Garnham, Marina Wheeler and Karwan Eskerie secure victory for the NHS in North West London reorganisation - Oct 2013
Christopher Mellor’s podcast on the proposed Duty of Candour for the NHS - Jun 2013
Members of 1COR acted in the Mid-Staffordshire NHS Trust Public Inquiry - Feb 2013
Marina Wheeler in Royal Brompton Hospital cardiac services lawful consultation case - Apr 2012
Sydney Chawatama defends claim by mental patient released under Habeas Corpus - Jun 2010