Chambers & Partners has ranked 1COR as a Band 1 Set in Clinical Negligence, Inquests &...
We are recognised as the leading set nationwide acting for claimants in this important and growing area, which comprises not only claims arising out of sexual assaults against children, but also the neglect and abuse of the vulnerable generally.
Members of 1COR have acted for the claimant in most of the leading cases in this area. Our members regularly write and lecture on the topic.
We also act in inquiries relating to sexual abuse and have barristers involved with the Rochdale Abuse Inquiry and the ongoing Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse. Members are experienced in claims arising from:
- Jimmy Savile
- Rolf Harris
- Stuart Hall
- Max Clifford
- Fred Talbot
- Cyril Smith
- Abuse in football
- Abuse in the Scouts
- Abuse in the cadets
- Abuse in schools
- Abuse in youth clubs
- Abuse in the family
- Abuse at Haut de la Garenne and other Jersey institutions
- Abuse abroad
- Abuse over the internet
- Child sexual exploitation
- Abuse in detention centres and young offenders’ institutions
- Emotional abuse and neglect
Notable cases include:
- (1) CN & (2) GN v Poole Borough Council (2017): Extent of local authority’s duty to protect against abuse – (Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Iain O’Donnell for the Claimants).
- Various Claimants v (1) Ian Patterson (2) Spire Healthcare ltd (3) Heart of England NHS Healthcare Trust (2017): Group action arising out of a surgeon’s sexual assaults and mutilation of patients (Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Robert Kellar for the Claimants).
- Various Claimants v Barclays Bank plc (2017): Group action arising out of indecent assaults by a doctor assessing job applicants (Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Robert Kellar for the Claimants).
- Archbishop of Southwark (2) The Scout Association v JL  EWCA Civ 82: Limitation and consent in child abuse claims (Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Justin Levinson for the Claimant).
- KXL & Ors v (1) Nicholas Murphy (2) The Society of Missionaries of Africa  EWHC QB 3102: Disapplication of foreign limitation period in cases of abuse in Uganda (Justin Levinson for the Claimants).
- ABC v West Heath  EWHC QB 2687: Sexual abuse by a teacher who caused a pupil to send him indecent images (Justin Levinson for the Claimant).
- In the matter of the administration of the estate of Sir James Wilson Savile deceased, sub nom National Westminster Bank plc v Lucas & Ors  EWCA Civ 1632: Litigation arising out of the abuse perpetrated by Jimmy Savile and the distribution of his estate to his victims (Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC, Henry Witcomb QC, Peter Skelton QC, Justin Levinson).
- JGE v Trustees of the Portsmouth Roman Catholic Diocesan Trust  EWCA Civ 938: Vicarious liability for Catholic priests (Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Justin Levinson for the Claimant).
- AXN & Ors v (1) John Worboys (2) Inceptum Insurance Co ltd  EWHC QB 1730: Claims against “the London taxi rapist” and his insurer (Justin Levinson for the Claimants).
- Raggett v Society of Jesus Trust  EWCA Civ 1002: Limitation in claim of historic child abuse (Robert Seabrook QC and Justin Levinson for the Claimant).
- MAGA v Archbishop of Birmingham  EWCA Civ 256: Vicarious liability for Catholic priests (Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Justin Levinson for the Claimant).
- A v Archbishop of Birmingham  EWHC QB 1361: Highest ever award of damages in the UK arising out of child sexual abuse (Robert Seabrook QC and Justin Levinson for the Claimant).
1 Crown Office Row remains a ‘Band 1 Set’ according to Chambers & Partners - Nov 2018
1 Crown Office Row remains a ‘top tier set’ in the Legal 500 2018 Guide - Oct 2018
Justin Levinson represents Filipino child abuse survivors in High Court trial against convicted paedophile - Oct 2018
Justin Levinson succeeds in damages claim for survivors of historic child abuse - Sep 2018
Justin Levinson represents UK child migrants relocated to Australia and Zimbabwe after WWII - Sep 2018
Justin Levinson speaks at the Third Regional Workshop on Justice for Children in East Asia and the Pacific in Bangkok - Sep 2018
Justin Levinson represented the claimant in his damages claim against social services - Aug 2018
Justin Levinson wins significant child abuse compensation case - Sep 2015
Iain O’Donnell obtains compensation on appeal for tetraplegic child at the CICA maximum of £500,000 - May 2014
Justin Levinson is representing 12 victims of Stuart Hall - May 2014
Justin Levinson is representing victims of paedophile Catholic priest Sam Penney - May 2014
Neil Garnham QC assisted by Alasdair Henderson and Lois Williams appointed by Rochdale Council to lead independent review into historic child abuse allegations - Apr 2014
Iain O’Donnell wins in a historic child abuse claim brought against a convicted paedophile - Feb 2014
Robert Kellar in High Court ruling that General Medical Council is too late with child sex abuse complaint - Sep 2013
Iain O’Donnell succeeds in claim by former choir boy against the Church for abuse by a priest - Apr 2013
Joanna Glynn QC prosecutes a case in which a 5 week old baby was shaken to death - Mar 2013
Justin Levinson to represent a number of children and young adults regarding allegations of abuse by missionary priests in Uganda - Feb 2013
Christina Lambert QC and Kate Beattie are Counsel to the Dame Janet Smith BBC Review - Feb 2013
One Crown Office Row instructed on Jimmy Savile claims - Feb 2013
Justin Levinson discusses vicarious liability in the context of child abuse compensation claims in Radio 4’s Unreliable Evidence programme - Dec 2012
Lizanne Gumbel QC, Justin Levinson and Peter Skelton are instructed to act on behalf of sexual abuse victims of Jimmy Savile - Oct 2012
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Justin Levinson win in the Court of Appeal on the liability of the Catholic Church for priest abuse - Jul 2012
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Justin Levinson in the Court of Appeal on the liability of the Catholic Church for priest abuse - May 2012
Book Launch for Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Justin Levinson - Mar 2011
Justin Levinson to act for sisters in personal injury action against social services in ‘British Fritzl’ case - Mar 2010