Head of Outreach Jo Moore discusses social mobility, equality, diversity and inclusion as well as...
Sports Law, or rather the law as it relates to sport, is a dynamic and fast growing area as sport, recreation, business and insurance become ever more intertwined.
We have extensive experience not only in this area of the law, but also in a wide variety of sports both as participants and administrators. We are therefore acutely aware of the particular problems which can befall sportsmen and women and sports administrators alike when sport and the law collide.
Areas covered include:
- Clinical Negligence – Claims against both club and independent doctors and physiotherapists.
- Employment & Equality – Issues relating to gender, sexuality and disability as they interact with sport, in particular access to sport and unlawful conduct by coaches.
- Environmental Law – Issues affecting water cleanliness / pollution as it impacts on sports from surfing to angling, together with the impact of development of sporting sites and nuisance.
- Inquests & Public Inquiries – Inquests and inquiries into deaths at sporting events, plus inquiries into adverse occurrences in particular sports.
- Personal Injury – Claims (including brain injury / concussion claims) against opponents, referees and event organisers.
- Professional Discipline – Acting for sports persons in disciplinary hearings before their regulator, in addition to advising sporting regulatory bodies about the fairness and human rights compliance of their procedures and, on occasion, presenting cases for regulators. The familiarity of many members with medical issues gives them an advantage in doping cases.
- Public Law – Challenges to selection and funding decisions, whether on behalf of individuals or governing bodies.
- Sexual Abuse – Claims involving sports coaches and administrators at a range of levels.
- Tax – Disputes arising out of player transfers, bonuses, benefits, and classification of sports.
Our members have acted in numerous high value injury claims (both clinical negligence and straight personal injury) involving professional rugby union players and professional footballers, together with those playing semi-professionally or at amateur level.
Our clients range from solicitors who act for individual sports persons to solicitors instructed by large insurers, medical defence organisations, governing bodies, sports clubs, health club companies as well as, on occasion, government lawyers. Members of our team, Sydney Chawatama, Pritesh Rathod and Jo Moore, are also on the Sport Resolutions Pro Bono Panel.
1 Crown Office Row was appointed to the Pro Bono Legal Panel for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Jo Moore discusses access to the Bar at the Diversity Network Inclusion Festival 2020 - Dec 2020
Martin Forde QC features on the Power List 2021 - Nov 2020
Iain O’Donnell joins roundtable on the Enforcement of Animal Welfare Legislation - Nov 2020
Annual Bar and Young Bar Conference 2020 “Forward Thinking: The Bar of the Future” featuring Martin Forde QC - Nov 2020
University of Bristol Medical Law Society and Bar Society: Clinical Negligence at the Bar Panel with Shaheen Rahman QC - Nov 2020
The Times Lawyer of the Week: Alasdair Henderson - Nov 2020
Inner Temple’s Discovery Day for Schools with Jo Moore and Michael Spencer - Oct 2020
1COR recommended as a Band 1 set with top client service in the Chambers Guide 2021 - Oct 2020
Martin Forde QC recognised in Oxford BHM 100 list - Oct 2020
Delighted by the Legal 500 Set Overviews and Testimonials - Oct 2020
Sydney Chawatama secures result in three recent Sports Law cases - Oct 2020
‘See’ you at the Bar Council Pupillage Fair 2020 - Oct 2020
1COR barristers highly recommended in latest Legal 500 Bar Guide 2021 - Sep 2020
Welcoming new tenants Henry Tufnell and Alice Kuzmenko - Sep 2020
Law Pod UK Ep. 125: Latest on the Brexit transition with Prof. Barnard - Sep 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Summer 2020 – Issue 6 - Sep 2020
Jo Moore named as finalist for Rising Star – Barrister/Advocate of the Year by Women In Law Awards - Sep 2020
Law Pod UK Ep. 123: We’re back! With Joshua Rozenberg - Sep 2020
Congratulations on our Six Members appointed to the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Aug 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – 2020 – Special Issue – Part 3 - Jul 2020
Sutton Trust Pathways to Law Annual Virtual Conference with 1COR barristers - Jul 2020
Oliver Sanders QC talks emerging tech with Law Commissioner Sarah Green in Counsel Magazine - May 2020
Pritesh Rathod appointed Deputy District Judge - May 2020
Duncan Fairgrieve remotely appears before the Supreme Court in landmark tort law case - May 2020
Dominic Ruck Keene examines whether the lockdown is compliant with the European Charter of Human Rights? - May 2020
LawPod UK Ep. 108: Renewed lockdown, new guidance - Apr 2020
(Remote) Life at the Bar with the Sutton Trust - Apr 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review -2020 – Special Issue - Mar 2020
COVID-19 Outbreak – Information for Clients - Mar 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Winter 2019/20 – Issue 4 - Mar 2020
Michael Spencer contributes to 3rd edition of the legal handbook for disabled children - Mar 2020
Widening Participation with the Inner Temple and Warwick University - Feb 2020
Join us at the Bar Council Pupillage Fair 2019 - Oct 2019
Read through some of the highlights of 2019 in the 1COR Bundle - Sep 2019
The 1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Summer 2019 – Issue 2 - Aug 2019
Use of banned substance ‘not intentional‘: Jo Moore represents rugby player before the National Anti-Doping Panel - Jul 2019
Sydney Chawatama joins Sport Resolutions Pro Bono Panel - Feb 2019
Goal! Philippa Whipple QC acted in VAT dispute over football pitch hire - Nov 2012
Jo Moore joins Sport Resolutions pro bono panel - Aug 2017
Blanket doping bans and human rights. Does a blanket ban on Russian athletes competing at Rio 2016 contravene human rights law? - Jan 2017
John Whitting QC successfully defends orthopaedic surgeon in claim by professional goalkeeper - Oct 2013
One Crown Office Row wins role in Pro Bono legal support service for Olympic and Paralympic Games - Jul 2011
Kieran Coonan QC is representing a vet in the Queen’s racehorse drug case hearing - Feb 2011