Congratulations to Sydney Chawatama on his appointment to the Sport Resolutions Pro Bono Panel in...
Sports Law, or rather the law as it relates to sport, is a dynamic and fast growing area as sport, recreation, business and insurance become ever more intertwined.
We have extensive experience not only in this area of the law, but also in a wide variety of sports both as participants and administrators. We are therefore acutely aware of the particular problems which can befall sportsmen and women and sports administrators alike when sport and the law collide.
Areas covered include:
- Clinical Negligence – Claims against both club and independent doctors and physiotherapists.
- Employment & Equality – Issues relating to gender, sexuality and disability as they interact with sport, in particular access to sport and unlawful conduct by coaches.
- Environmental Law – Issues affecting water cleanliness / pollution as it impacts on sports from surfing to angling, together with the impact of development of sporting sites and nuisance.
- Inquests & Public Inquiries – Inquests and inquiries into deaths at sporting events, plus inquiries into adverse occurrences in particular sports.
- Personal Injury – Claims (including brain injury / concussion claims) against opponents, referees and event organisers.
- Professional Discipline – Acting for sports persons in disciplinary hearings before their regulator, in addition to advising sporting regulatory bodies about the fairness and human rights compliance of their procedures and, on occasion, presenting cases for regulators. The familiarity of many members with medical issues gives them an advantage in doping cases.
- Public Law – Challenges to selection and funding decisions, whether on behalf of individuals or governing bodies.
- Sexual Abuse – Claims involving sports coaches and administrators at a range of levels.
- Tax – Disputes arising out of player transfers, bonuses, benefits, and classification of sports.
Our members have acted in numerous high value injury claims (both clinical negligence and straight personal injury) involving professional rugby union players and professional footballers, together with those playing semi-professionally or at amateur level.
Our clients range from solicitors who act for individual sports persons to solicitors instructed by large insurers, medical defence organisations, governing bodies, sports clubs, health club companies as well as, on occasion, government lawyers. Members of our team, Sydney Chawatama, Pritesh Rathod and Jo Moore, are also on the Sport Resolutions Pro Bono Panel.
1 Crown Office Row was appointed to the Pro Bono Legal Panel for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Sydney Chawatama joins Sport Resolutions Pro Bono Panel - Feb 2019
Goal! Philippa Whipple QC acted in VAT dispute over football pitch hire - Nov 2012
Jo Moore joins Sport Resolutions pro bono panel - Aug 2017
Blanket doping bans and human rights. Does a blanket ban on Russian athletes competing at Rio 2016 contravene human rights law? - Jan 2017
John Whitting QC successfully defends orthopaedic surgeon in claim by professional goalkeeper - Oct 2013
One Crown Office Row wins role in Pro Bono legal support service for Olympic and Paralympic Games - Jul 2011
Kieran Coonan QC is representing a vet in the Queen’s racehorse drug case hearing - Feb 2011