On Thursday 21st March 2019, Martin Forde QC has been asked to be one of the keynote speakers at...
We undertake a broad range of immigration work with our members regularly appearing in the Court of Appeal, the Supreme Court and the Special Immigration Appeals Commission (SIAC).
The immigration team also advises and appears on behalf of Claimants and the Secretary of State in appeals before the First Tier and Upper Tribunal, and in judicial reviews of immigration decisions. Chambers is a member of Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association.
The immigration team accepts instructions across the full spectrum of immigration law, including:
- European migration, including permits and residence cards
- Family migration
- Asylum and humanitarian protection
- Human rights claims
- Business and employment migration
Notable cases include:
- Help Refugees Limited v SSHD  EWHC 2727 (Admin) High Court dismissed a challenge brought by the charity Help Refugees to the Home Office’s consultation process resulting in setting of the number of how many children could be admitted and rehoused in the UK.
- R (Kiarie & Byndloss) v SSHD  UKSC 56 Challenge to the SSHD’s controversial ‘deport first, appeal later’ policy under which foreign criminals are required to bring their deportation appeals from abroad heard in the Supreme Court.
- RSM v SSHD  UKUT 124 (IAC) Acted for the SSHD in a judicial review of the SSHD’s use of the Article 17 discretion to circumvent Dublin Regulation.
- R (AI) v SSHD (2017) Acted for the appellant as a Special Advocate in a challenge by way of judicial review to the SSHD’s decision to cancel the Appellant’s passport under the Royal Prerogative.
- R (Agyarko) v SSHD  UKSC 11 Supreme Court case which established the principles to be applied in Article 8 challenges to removal brought by those who establish relationships with British citizens whilst unlawfully in the UK.
- R (MR) v SSHD (2017) Acted as Special Advocate in a challenge to the SSHD’s decision to cancel the passport of a man who had been linked to terrorist activity in Syria.
- R (MM Lebanon) v SSHD  UKSC 10 A challenge heard in the Supreme Court to the minimum income requirement, which requires that UK–based sponsors earn at least £18,600 per annum before entry clearance will be granted to their foreign partners.
- Hesham Ali v SSHD  UKSC 60 A case which set out the principles to be applied in cases concerning the deportation of foreign criminals decided in the Supreme Court.
- IT (Jamaica) v SSHD  EWCA Civ 932 Court of Appeal case which considered the weight to be attached to the public interest when considering an appeal by a person who has already been deported against a refusal to revoke a deportation order.
- SSHD v B2 (2013) Appeared as Special Advocates before the Special Immigration Appeals Commission and Court of Appeal in an important case concerning the question of whether an order depriving a British citizen originating from Vietnam of his British citizenship on the basis of his alleged involvement in terrorism-related activities had rendered him stateless within the meaning of the British Nationality Act 1981 s.40(4).
- Kanwal v SSHD Represented a Christian Pakistani brother and sister before the Upper Tribunal who were seeking asylum in the UK after being falsely accused of blasphemy against Islam.
- Farooq & Sharif v. SSHD  SN/7/2014 An exclusion decision by the SSHD which was successfully appealed, with Angus McCullough QC acting as Special Advocate.
- SSHD v M2 (2015) Acted as a Special Advocate on behalf of the Appellant, a dual national who challenged a decision to deprive him of British Citizenship on the grounds that his presence in the country was not conducive to the public good.
- SSHD v B2 (2013) Instructed as Special Advocates before the Special Immigration Appeals Commission and Court of Appeal in an important case concerning the question of whether an order depriving a British citizen originating from Vietnam of his British citizenship on the basis of his alleged involvement in terrorism-related activities had rendered him stateless within the meaning of the British Nationality Act 1981 s.40(4).
Martin Forde QC gives keynote address on the Windrush Compensation Scheme - Mar 2019
Sarabjit Singh QC in significant Court of Appeal case on internal relocation - Mar 2019
Natasha Barnes appears in Court of Appeal ruling that 10,000 fast track asylum appeals were not necessarily unfair - Dec 2018
Martin Forde QC provides an update on the Windrush Compensation Scheme - Dec 2018
Neil Sheldon and Matthew Hill in Supreme Court over the correct approach to the assessment of medical evidence in asylum claims - Dec 2018
1 Crown Office Row remains a ‘Band 1 Set’ according to Chambers & Partners - Nov 2018
1 Crown Office Row remains a ‘top tier set’ in the Legal 500 2018 Guide - Oct 2018
Sarabjit Singh QC appears in Court of Appeal in significant deportation case - Oct 2018
Natasha Barnes wins in Court of Appeal regarding the Secretary of State’s powers to deprive individuals of British citizenship - Sep 2018
Amelia Walker successful in the Court of Appeal in a case on powers to stop and search baggage at airports, as reported by The Times - Sep 2018
Jonathan Metzer succeeds in Sri Lanka asylum appeal - Jun 2018
Martin Forde QC featured in The Guardian as Independent Person to the Windrush compensation scheme - Jun 2018
Neil Sheldon successful in Court of Appeal in cases concerning leave to remain under Article 8 - May 2018
Natasha Barnes successful for the Secretary of State in national security case - Apr 2018
Neil Sheldon defends the 2012 Immigration Rules in the Court of Appeal - Mar 2018
Neil Sheldon appears in the Court of Appeal in a case concerning the admission to the UK of adult dependent relatives - May 2017
Film Screening & Panel Discussion about Radicalisation - Nov 2016
David Manknell in Calais Children Asylum Case - Jan 2016
David Manknell in Court of Appeal win on French burqa ban law - Jul 2014
Amy Mannion successfully defended the Home Office against two joined applications for judicial review - May 2014
Philippa Whipple QC lead Counsel to the Detainee Inquiry assisted by Matthew Hill - Dec 2013
Sarabjit Singh wins in Court of Appeal in EU Law case - May 2013
Oliver Sanders and Andrea Lindsay Strugo act for the Government in Jimmy Mubenga inquest - May 2013
Adam Wagner interviewed on BBC News on Abu Qatada - May 2013
One Crown Office Row wins role in Pro Bono legal support service for Olympic and Paralympic Games - Jul 2011
Jonathan Metzer succeeds in sham marriage appeal - Feb 2018
Neil Sheldon Acts For The Home Office In Trio of Article 8 Supreme Court Cases - Mar 2017
Oliver Sanders in successful FOIA appeal for Home Office on immigration country lists - Apr 2013
Angus McCullough QC acted as Special Advocate in Abu Qatada’s deportation proceedings - Nov 2012
Angus McCullough QC is acting as Special Advocate in Abu Qatada’s deportation proceedings - May 2012
Angus McCullough QC special advocate for Russian cleared of spying in deportation case - Nov 2011
Angus McCullough QC special advocate for MP’s Russian assistant in deportation case - Oct 2011
Angus McCullough QC appeared as Special Advocate for appellant in controversial appeal against deportation of terror suspects - May 2010