Darragh Coffey recently represented a 28 year old Mauritian man before the First Tier Tribunal in an...
We undertake a broad range of immigration work with our members regularly appearing in the Court of Appeal, the Supreme Court and the Special Immigration Appeals Commission (SIAC).
The immigration team also advises and appears on behalf of Claimants and the Secretary of State in appeals before the First Tier and Upper Tribunal, and in judicial reviews of immigration decisions. Chambers is a member of Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association. In 2018, Martin Forde QC was appointed as the Independent Advisor to the Windrush Compensation Scheme.
The immigration team accepts instructions across the full spectrum of immigration law, including:
- European migration, including permits and residence cards
- Family migration
- Asylum and humanitarian protection
- Human rights claims
- Business and employment migration
Notable cases include:
- KV (Sri Lanka) v SSHD  UKSC 10: Supreme Court case concerning the proper role of a medical expert in asylum proceedings.
- Help Refugees Limited v SSHD  EWHC 2727 (Admin) High Court dismissed a challenge brought by the charity Help Refugees to the Home Office’s consultation process resulting in setting of the number of how many children could be admitted and rehoused in the UK.
- R (Kiarie & Byndloss) v SSHD  UKSC 56 Challenge to the SSHD’s controversial ‘deport first, appeal later’ policy under which foreign criminals are required to bring their deportation appeals from abroad heard in the Supreme Court.
- RSM v SSHD  UKUT 124 (IAC) Acted for the SSHD in a judicial review of the SSHD’s use of the Article 17 discretion to circumvent Dublin Regulation.
- R (AI) v SSHD (2017) Acted for the appellant as a Special Advocate in a challenge by way of judicial review to the SSHD’s decision to cancel the Appellant’s passport under the Royal Prerogative.
- R (Agyarko) v SSHD  UKSC 11 Supreme Court case which established the principles to be applied in Article 8 challenges to removal brought by those who establish relationships with British citizens whilst unlawfully in the UK.
- R (MR) v SSHD (2017) Acted as Special Advocate in a challenge to the SSHD’s decision to cancel the passport of a man who had been linked to terrorist activity in Syria.
- R (MM Lebanon) v SSHD  UKSC 10 A challenge heard in the Supreme Court to the minimum income requirement, which requires that UK–based sponsors earn at least £18,600 per annum before entry clearance will be granted to their foreign partners.
- Hesham Ali v SSHD  UKSC 60 A case which set out the principles to be applied in cases concerning the deportation of foreign criminals decided in the Supreme Court.
- IT (Jamaica) v SSHD  EWCA Civ 932 Court of Appeal case which considered the weight to be attached to the public interest when considering an appeal by a person who has already been deported against a refusal to revoke a deportation order.
- SSHD v B2 (2013) Appeared as Special Advocates before the Special Immigration Appeals Commission and Court of Appeal in an important case concerning the question of whether an order depriving a British citizen originating from Vietnam of his British citizenship on the basis of his alleged involvement in terrorism-related activities had rendered him stateless within the meaning of the British Nationality Act 1981 s.40(4).
- Kanwal v SSHD Represented a Christian Pakistani brother and sister before the Upper Tribunal who were seeking asylum in the UK after being falsely accused of blasphemy against Islam.
- Farooq & Sharif v. SSHD  SN/7/2014 An exclusion decision by the SSHD which was successfully appealed, with Angus McCullough QC acting as Special Advocate.
- SSHD v M2 (2015) Acted as a Special Advocate on behalf of the Appellant, a dual national who challenged a decision to deprive him of British Citizenship on the grounds that his presence in the country was not conducive to the public good.
- SSHD v B2 (2013) Instructed as Special Advocates before the Special Immigration Appeals Commission and Court of Appeal in an important case concerning the question of whether an order depriving a British citizen originating from Vietnam of his British citizenship on the basis of his alleged involvement in terrorism-related activities had rendered him stateless within the meaning of the British Nationality Act 1981 s.40(4).
Darragh Coffey Secures leave to remain for Mauritian National - May 2021
Sarabjit Singh QC and Jim Duffy appear in key Supreme Court immigration case - May 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 142: Vaccine hesitancy and the Court of Protection – who decides? - Apr 2021
Martin Forde QC hands over to Prof. Martin Levermore, the new Windrush independent adviser - Apr 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 141: 100 days since UK’s withdrawal from the EU - Apr 2021
How can I search for an individual QMLR article? Using our new Archive website! - Apr 2021
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Winter 2020/21 – Issue 8 - Apr 2021
Sutton Trust Pathways to Law Insight Week: Imposter Syndrome - Apr 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 139: Harriet Wistrich on Criminal Justice for Women - Apr 2021
Women’s History Month : Reflections from 1COR - Mar 2021
Jonathan Metzer succeeds on behalf of Ghanaian with HIV - Mar 2021
Supreme Court rules Shamima Begum will not be allowed to return to the UK - Feb 2021
Shaheen Rahman QC, Gideon Barth and Jo Moore take part in Pathways to Law mock trial - Feb 2021
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Autumn 2020 – Issue 7 - Feb 2021
Congratulations to John Whitting QC on being appointed to the Welsh Government Panel of Queen’s Counsel - Feb 2021
Jo Moore successful in Court of Appeal - Jan 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 134: the significant cases of 2020 - Jan 2021
Is this unlawful? Judicial Review under scrutiny Webinar - Dec 2020
LawPod UK Ep. 132: Best of Law Pod UK 2020 - Dec 2020
Jo Moore discusses access to the Bar at the Diversity Network Inclusion Festival 2020 - Dec 2020
Today the Supreme Court hears case relating to the status of 10,000 asylum appeals - Nov 2020
Martin Forde QC features on the Power List 2021 - Nov 2020
Iain O’Donnell joins roundtable on the Enforcement of Animal Welfare Legislation - Nov 2020
Supreme Court hears Shamima Begum’s case with Angus McCullough QC acting as Special Advocate - Nov 2020
Annual Bar and Young Bar Conference 2020 “Forward Thinking: The Bar of the Future” featuring Martin Forde QC - Nov 2020
University of Bristol Medical Law Society and Bar Society: Clinical Negligence at the Bar Panel with Shaheen Rahman QC - Nov 2020
The Times Lawyer of the Week: Alasdair Henderson - Nov 2020
David Manknell successful in Court of Appeal over challenge to deportation policy - Nov 2020
Inner Temple’s Discovery Day for Schools with Jo Moore and Michael Spencer - Oct 2020
1COR recommended as a Band 1 set with top client service in the Chambers Guide 2021 - Oct 2020
Martin Forde QC recognised in Oxford BHM 100 list - Oct 2020
Delighted by the Legal 500 Set Overviews and Testimonials - Oct 2020
‘See’ you at the Bar Council Pupillage Fair 2020 - Oct 2020
1COR barristers highly recommended in latest Legal 500 Bar Guide 2021 - Sep 2020
Welcoming new tenants Henry Tufnell and Alice Kuzmenko - Sep 2020
When the Courts closed their doors: remote hearings, should they stay with us? - Sep 2020
Law Pod UK Ep. 125: Latest on the Brexit transition with Prof. Barnard - Sep 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Summer 2020 – Issue 6 - Sep 2020
Jo Moore named as finalist for Rising Star – Barrister/Advocate of the Year by Women In Law Awards - Sep 2020
Law Pod UK Ep. 123: We’re back! With Joshua Rozenberg - Sep 2020
Congratulations on our Six Members appointed to the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Aug 2020
Jonathan Metzer succeeds in asylum deportation appeal - Jul 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – 2020 – Special Issue – Part 3 - Jul 2020
Sutton Trust Pathways to Law Annual Virtual Conference with 1COR barristers - Jul 2020
Shamima Begum allowed to return to the UK for her SIAC appeal against withdrawal of citizenship - Jul 2020
LawPod UK Ep. 117: Systemic Racial Inequality, Windrush and the Bar with Martin Forde QC - Jun 2020
Court of Appeal hears Shamima Begum’s appeal against withdrawal of British Citizenship - Jun 2020
Michael Spencer secures Sure Start Maternity Grant for refugees and kinship carers - Jun 2020
Martin Forde QC featured in June Issue of Counsel Magazine - May 2020
Oliver Sanders QC talks emerging tech with Law Commissioner Sarah Green in Counsel Magazine - May 2020
Supreme Court grants permission in TN concerning the status of 10,000 asylum appeals - May 2020
Duncan Fairgrieve remotely appears before the Supreme Court in landmark tort law case - May 2020
Dominic Ruck Keene examines whether the lockdown is compliant with the European Charter of Human Rights? - May 2020
Jo Moore instructed as junior counsel to the Brook House Inquiry - Apr 2020
LawPod UK Ep. 108: Renewed lockdown, new guidance - Apr 2020
(Remote) Life at the Bar with the Sutton Trust - Apr 2020
Jonathan Metzer succeeds in Iraq asylum claim - Apr 2020
Robert Kellar QC successful in Article 8 ECHR case before Court of Appeal - Apr 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review -2020 – Special Issue - Mar 2020
COVID-19 Outbreak – Information for Clients - Mar 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Winter 2019/20 – Issue 4 - Mar 2020
Michael Spencer contributes to 3rd edition of the legal handbook for disabled children - Mar 2020
Jonathan Metzer successfully appeals “unduly harsh” deportation - Feb 2020
Widening Participation with the Inner Temple and Warwick University - Feb 2020
Sarabjit Singh QC acts for Home Office in Jamaica deportation flight cases - Feb 2020
SIAC hands down judgment in the first stage of Shamima Begum’s appeal over citizenship - Feb 2020
Christopher Mellor and Emma-Louise Fenelon represent different GPs in Prince Fosu Inquest into death at Harmondsworth IRC - Feb 2020
David Manknell and Jo Moore successful in JR challenging Home Office decision-making - Jan 2020
Shaheen Rahman QC joins panellists at HRLA’s Review of the Year 2019 - Dec 2019
Angus McCullough QC and Shaheen Rahman QC have tackled the question: ‘Disclosure in Closed Material Proceedings: What Has to Be Revealed?’ - Nov 2019
Angus McCullough QC acts as a Special Advocate for Shamima Begum - Oct 2019
Join us at the Bar Council Pupillage Fair 2019 - Oct 2019
‘Judicial review trends and forecasts 2019: Public law and technology’ with the Public Law Project - Oct 2019
Sarabjit Singh QC speaks at the JUSTICE Human Rights Conference 2019 - Oct 2019
1 Crown Office Row remains a Tier 1 Set in the Legal 500 2020 - Sep 2019
Martin Forde QC speaks on HRLA panel ‘Windrush and the Hostile Environment’ - Sep 2019
Read through some of the highlights of 2019 in the 1COR Bundle - Sep 2019
The 1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Summer 2019 – Issue 2 - Aug 2019
Congratulations to David Manknell, Suzanne Lambert, Alasdair Henderson, Natasha Barnes and Paul Reynolds on their appointments to Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Jul 2019
Sarabjit Singh QC and Jo Moore successfully defend British Nationality judicial review claims - May 2019
The 1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Spring 2019 – Issue 1 - May 2019
Martin Forde QC gives keynote address on the Windrush Compensation Scheme - Mar 2019
Sarabjit Singh QC in significant Court of Appeal case on internal relocation - Mar 2019
Natasha Barnes appears in Court of Appeal ruling that 10,000 fast track asylum appeals were not necessarily unfair - Dec 2018
Martin Forde QC provides an update on the Windrush Compensation Scheme - Dec 2018
Neil Sheldon and Matthew Hill in Supreme Court over the correct approach to the assessment of medical evidence in asylum claims - Dec 2018
1 Crown Office Row remains a ‘Band 1 Set’ according to Chambers & Partners - Nov 2018
1 Crown Office Row remains a ‘top tier set’ in the Legal 500 2018 Guide - Oct 2018
Sarabjit Singh QC appears in Court of Appeal in significant deportation case - Oct 2018
Natasha Barnes wins in Court of Appeal regarding the Secretary of State’s powers to deprive individuals of British citizenship - Sep 2018
Amelia Walker successful in the Court of Appeal in a case on powers to stop and search baggage at airports, as reported by The Times - Sep 2018
Jonathan Metzer succeeds in Sri Lanka asylum appeal - Jun 2018
Martin Forde QC featured in The Guardian as Independent Person to the Windrush compensation scheme - Jun 2018
Neil Sheldon successful in Court of Appeal in cases concerning leave to remain under Article 8 - May 2018
Natasha Barnes successful for the Secretary of State in national security case - Apr 2018
Neil Sheldon defends the 2012 Immigration Rules in the Court of Appeal - Mar 2018
Neil Sheldon appears in the Court of Appeal in a case concerning the admission to the UK of adult dependent relatives - May 2017
David Manknell in Calais Children Asylum Case - Jan 2016
David Manknell in Court of Appeal win on French burqa ban law - Jul 2014
Amy Mannion successfully defended the Home Office against two joined applications for judicial review - May 2014
Philippa Whipple QC lead Counsel to the Detainee Inquiry assisted by Matthew Hill - Dec 2013
Sarabjit Singh wins in Court of Appeal in EU Law case - May 2013
Oliver Sanders and Andrea Lindsay Strugo act for the Government in Jimmy Mubenga inquest - May 2013
Adam Wagner interviewed on BBC News on Abu Qatada - May 2013
One Crown Office Row wins role in Pro Bono legal support service for Olympic and Paralympic Games - Jul 2011
Jonathan Metzer succeeds in sham marriage appeal - Feb 2018
Neil Sheldon Acts For The Home Office In Trio of Article 8 Supreme Court Cases - Mar 2017
Oliver Sanders in successful FOIA appeal for Home Office on immigration country lists - Apr 2013
Angus McCullough QC acted as Special Advocate in Abu Qatada’s deportation proceedings - Nov 2012
Angus McCullough QC is acting as Special Advocate in Abu Qatada’s deportation proceedings - May 2012
Angus McCullough QC special advocate for Russian cleared of spying in deportation case - Nov 2011
Angus McCullough QC special advocate for MP’s Russian assistant in deportation case - Oct 2011
Angus McCullough QC appeared as Special Advocate for appellant in controversial appeal against deportation of terror suspects - May 2010