Natasha Barnes appears as sole counsel in Court of Appeal - Jan 2022
Natasha specialises in immigration matters and appears, both alone and as junior counsel, in the Supreme Court, Court of Appeal, High Court and Upper Tribunal in applications for Judicial Review and substantive appeals. She has experience in a wide range of areas including trafficking, asylum, human rights, unlawful detention, deportation, fresh claims, cases under the Points Based System and other immigration appeals. She is recommended as a leading junior by Legal 500.
Natasha also has developed vetting security clearance and is instructed in a number of national security appeals before the Court of Appeal, High Court and the Special Immigration Appeals Commission.
- GA v SSHD: Sole counsel in a case before the Court of Appeal concerning whether the Special Immigrations Appeals Commission can refuse a remedy having concluded the SSHD’s decision to refuse GA naturalisation was procedurally unfair on review.
- Shahi v SSHD: Sole counsel in this case concerning the circumstances in which a grant of interim relief should be treated as success for the purposes of granting a Claimant his costs in a judicial review claim where the claim settles before substantive determination by the Court.
- TN (Vietnam) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  UKSC 41: Junior Counsel in joined lead cases concerning the lawfulness of the Detained Fast Track Rules 2005. 10,000 appeals were heard under the Rules. Appeal dismissed by the Supreme Court.
- PN (UGANDA) v SSHD  EWCA Civ 1213: Court of Appeal decision concerning asylum cases. Awaiting permission to appeal to the Supreme Court.
- MIR v SSHD  UKAITUR JR/818/2016: Judicial review of decision to revoke indefinite leave to remain due to deception when obtaining leave.
- S2 v SSHD (2020): S2 appealed decision to exclude him on the basis that he posed a threat to national security. Appeal dismissed by SIAC.
- QA v SSHD (2020): Appeal to refused naturalisation as a British citizen due to association with Islamist extremists.
- Pham v SSHD  EWCA Civ 2064: Junior Counsel in high profile appeal, which has been heard in the Supreme Court (Pham v SSHD  UKSC 19), concerning deprivation and citizenship.
- S2 v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWHC 993 (Admin): Junior Counsel in judicial review raising novel issues about when the Secretary of State could revoke an individual’s indefinite leave to remain on the basis of national security, and the court’s discretion to grant interim relief in such cases.
- R (TN & US) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWHC 59 (Admin): Junior Counsel in joined lead cases concerning the lawfulness of the Detained Fast Track Rules 2005. 10,000 appeals were heard under the Rules. The Court of Appeal has granted permission to appeal.
- R (NM) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWHC 2798 (Admin): Sole counsel in a complex trafficking claim involving a 3-day hearing before the High Court.
- R (Nawaz) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  UKUT 288 (IAC): Sole counsel in a Judicial Review challenge arising out of the ETS language testing fraud.
- R (Siddique) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWCA Civ 570: Sole counsel in proceedings before the Court of Appeal. Natasha successfully argued that the Secretary of State acted lawfully in refusing to issue an appealable removal decision to the Appellant. The Court of Appeal praised parties’ ‘helpful and realistic’ submissions.
- R (Adesanya) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWHC 1165 (Admin): Sole counsel in Judicial Review proceedings involving issues of people trafficking, unlawful detention, deportation and certification of human rights claims.
- Secretary of State for the Home Department v AG: Sole counsel for AG in a substantive appeal arising out of deportation proceedings. The Upper Tribunal subsequently refused the SSHD’s appeal and praised Natasha’s ‘able and concise submissions’ in their written determination.
Natasha Barnes successful in Court of Appeal - Nov 2021
Today the Supreme Court has dismissed an appeal concerning the status of 10,000 asylum appeals in TN v SSHD  - Sep 2021
Natasha Barnes appears as lead counsel in Court of Appeal - Jun 2021
Today the Supreme Court hears case relating to the status of 10,000 asylum appeals - Nov 2020
Supreme Court grants permission in TN concerning the status of 10,000 asylum appeals - May 2020
Natasha Barnes successful for HMRC in Upper Tribunal in joined appeals concerning the scope of the welfare exemption - May 2020
Natasha Barnes successful in Court of Appeal - Mar 2020
Natasha Barnes successful in challenge to MI5 agents engaging in criminal activity - Jan 2020
Natasha Barnes instructed in challenge to MI5 Agents engaging in criminal activity - Nov 2019
Natasha Barnes successful in Court of Appeal - Aug 2019
Congratulations to David Manknell, Suzanne Lambert, Alasdair Henderson, Natasha Barnes and Paul Reynolds on their appointments to Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Jul 2019
Natasha Barnes appears in “child spies” case - Jul 2019
Natasha Barnes appears in Court of Appeal regarding due diligence requirements imposed on alcohol wholesale traders - May 2019
Natasha Barnes in complex partial exemption dispute in N Brown v HMRC - Mar 2019
Natasha Barnes succeeds for HMRC in significant tax case addressing whether supplies can be treated differently for VAT purposes across the devolved nations - Jan 2019
Natasha Barnes succeeds for HMRC in multi-million pound test case - Dec 2018
Natasha Barnes appears in Court of Appeal ruling that 10,000 fast track asylum appeals were not necessarily unfair - Dec 2018
Natasha Barnes wins in Court of Appeal regarding the Secretary of State’s powers to deprive individuals of British citizenship - Sep 2018
Natasha Barnes successful for the Secretary of State in national security case - Apr 2018
Natasha Barnes successful in this appeal against HMRC’s decision to revoke the approval of Rurkhee Trading under WOWGR - Apr 2018
Celebrate and support Lizanne Gumbel QC, her son Mark Wainwright and Natasha Barnes running the London Marathon for LOOK this year - Apr 2018
1COR welcomes Natasha Barnes as a new tenant - Mar 2018