Chambers was founded in 1935 and takes its name from its current address, 1 Crown Office Row, Temple, which is situated opposite the Inner Temple Gardens in the heart of the Inns of Court. Chambers has occupied its commanding position in the Temple since it relocated after the Second World War from 3 Temple Gardens.
The founding Heads of Chambers, Hildreth Glyn Jones (Glyn) and Stanley Rees, established a culture and atmosphere which has been central to Chambers’ ethos since its foundation and which still continues today.
The hallmarks of the 1COR ethos are standards of excellence and integrity interwoven with a strong sense of responsibility for delivering legal work and advocacy of excellent quality with outstanding client care.
Glyn Jones set these values in motion and they have been the principles at the heart of Chambers growth to its current standing as one of the leading sets in the UK.
The early Heads of Chambers and Members inevitably were moulded by their experience of the Second World War, and after these events they were united as much by friendship as by their roles in Chambers. From this grew a social togetherness and warmth, which continues to be a distinct feature of relationships in Chambers today.
Our previous heads of chambers, Robert Seabrook KC, Philip Havers KC and now Richard Booth KC as Head of Chambers continue to exemplify these core values. Despite very significant growth in Chambers over recent years we maintain a strong identity and a commitment to the ongoing success of chambers as a whole.
The Clerks and staff at 1 Crown Office Row have always been seen as integral to this Chambers family, and they have a longstanding reputation of providing a distinguished quality of work alongside the work of the barristers.
The membership of 1COR has a distinguished record of judicial service and service to the legal profession.
No fewer than 16 former members have been appointed as judges of the High Court and above, with Lord Woolf being appointed a Law Lord, Lord Chief Justice and Master of the Rolls and both Lord Justice Watkins and Lord Justice Latham being appointed Deputy Lord Chief Justice. Numerous members have been appointed to positions on the circuit bench and in the County Court.
High Court & Above
- Sir Hildreth Glyn-Jones (High Court Judge 1953-1968 and former Head of Chambers)
- Sir Stanley Rees (High Court Judge 1962-1977 and former Head of Chambers)
- Sir Tasker Watkins, VC (High Court Judge 1971-1980, Lord Justice of Appeal 1980-1993 and Deputy Chief Justice)
- Sir Kenneth Jones (High Court Judge 1973-1989)
- Sir John Wood, MC (High Court Judge 1977-1993, President of the Employment Appeal Tribunal 1988-1993 and former Head of Chambers)
- Lord Woolf (High Court Judge 1979-1986, Lord Justice of Appeal 1986-1992, Lord of Appeal in Ordinary 1992-1996, Master of the Rolls 1996-2000, Lord Chief Justice of England & Wales 2000-2005)
- Sir Anthony McCowan (High Court Judge 1981-1989, Lord Justice of Appeal 1989-1997, Senior Presiding Judge of England & Wales 1991-1995 and former Head of Chambers)
- Sir John Alliott (High Court Judge 1986-2001 and former Head of Chambers 1981-1986)
- Sir Scott Baker (High Court Judge 1988-2002, Lord Justice of Appeal 2002-2012, Justice of the Court of Appeal of Bermuda 2011-2021 and former Head of Chambers 1986-1988)
- Sir David Latham (High Court Judge 1992-2000, Lord Justice of Appeal 2000-2009, Chairman of the Parole Board 2009-2012)
- Sir Rodger Bell (High Court Judge 1993-2006 and former Head of Chambers 1988-1993)
- Sir Robert Owen (High Court Judge 2001-2014)
- Sir David Foskett (High Court Judge 2007-2021)
- Dame Philippa Whipple (High Court Judge 2015-2021, Lady Justice of Appeal 2021-present)
- Sir Neil Garnham (High Court Judge 2015-present)
- Dame Christina Lambert (High Court Judge 2018-present)
Circuit & District Judges
- His Hon Michael Kennedy KC
- His Hon Duncan Matheson KC
- Her Hon Judge Christine Henson KC
- His Hon Anthony Niblett
- His Hon Simon Coltart
- His Hon Brian Grant
- His Hon Christopher Oddie
- District Judge Keeley Bishop
Three members have served as the elected Chairman of the Bar: Robert Seabrook KC in 1994, Robert Owen KC in 1998 and Guy Mansfield KC in 2005.
We have a distinguished list of associate members, which includes not only former members who remain in legal practice but also those whose practice is predominantly in other diverse jurisdictions.