Guy Mansfield QC obtains summary judgment dismissing claim against care expert added as Part 20...
Members of Chambers have extensive experience and expertise in professional negligence litigation.
Our members are regularly instructed in claims against solicitors, barristers, surveyors, construction, planning and environmental professionals. A particular strength is being able to use the expertise of individual members in different specialist fields which can then carried across into a wide range of professional negligence issues.
Members of the team have substantial experience in the fields concerned; they understand the underlying factual and technical issues which may arise. In legal professional negligence, different members will have hands on experience of clinical negligence, personal injury, matrimonial finance and environmental work as well as a wide range of other civil litigation whose previous management has become a matter of dispute.
Members bring this keen and practical insight into the subject matter and couple it with first class advocacy skills.
Notable cases include:
- Earl Spencer v (1) Mostyn (2) Clarke: Represented Sir Nicholas Mostyn and Elizabeth Clarke in a claim against them which was dismissed.
- Warner v Penningtons & Ors, Acted for costs consultant.
- (CA) Part 20 claim by defendant solicitors against expert witness (a rehabilitation costs consultant) summarily dismissed: no reasonable prospect of success.
- Rybak v Langbar International: Acted for solicitors.
- (Ch D): Solicitors had not failed in their duty to the court either to give full and frank disclosure for a without notice injunction or later in preparing witness statements.
- D Morgan Plc v Mace & Jones (a firm): For the Solicitors. (2010)
- (TCC): £50m solicitors’ negligence claim concerning planning permission for landfill dismissed.
- Symrise AG v Baker McKenzie: junior counsel for the solicitors who, while being found in breach of duty for failing to advise competently on a tax reduction plan, were successful in having the claim dismissed on grounds that the claimant had not taken reasonable steps to mitigate its loss, which could have been entirely extinguished.
1 Crown Office Row is ranked as a leading set for this area; “1 Crown Office Row handles professional negligence cases involving lawyers and construction, planning and environmental professionals. The practice is also closely linked to its market-leading clinical negligence expertise.” (Legal 500 2017)
For information on our team based in Brighton, please click here.
Guy Mansfield QC obtains summary judgment dismissing claim against care expert - Mar 2011
David Hart QC and John Whitting defend Mace & Jones in £50m negligence claim - Dec 2010
Former BMA chair James Johnson cleared of misconduct by GMC - Dec 2010
Must the family be told? Genetic information and liability for non-disclosure to relatives - Jan 2018
Martin Forde QC in significant appeal on dishonesty in professional regulation - Dec 2017
William Edis QC succeeds in the Supreme Court in a significant case concerning regulated professionals - Nov 2017
Owain Thomas succeeds in defending a PCT’s decision not to admit a Doctor who introduced religious content into consultations - Oct 2013
James Badenoch QC wins Supreme Court case on the need for doctors to warn patients of the risks in proposed treatments - Mar 2015