We are delighted to remain ranked as a Band 1 set for Clinical Negligence, Inquests & Inquiries...
We have extensive experience and expertise in navigating the law governing information rights, data protection and the use and abuse of cyberspace.
We have been involved in a number of leading cases in this complicated and fast-evolving area and are used to providing clear advice on what is permitted and what is forbidden and robust representation in related disputes.
In relation to advisory work and compliance with statutory obligations, we have in-depth knowledge of the relevant statutory and non-statutory provisions and principles including in relation to:
- Breach of confidence and misuse of private information
- Data Protection Act 1998
- Data Protection Act 2018
- Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC
- Data Protection Law Enforcement Directive (EU) 2016/680
- Environmental Information Regulations 2004
- Freedom of Information Act 2000
- General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679
- Human Rights Act 1998 and article 8 of the ECHR
- Investigatory Powers Act 2016
- Protection from Harassment Act 1997
- Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000
In relation to contentious work, we have been involved in numerous cases relating to:
- Freedom of Information requests and appeals to the First-Tier and Upper Tribunals and the Court of Appeal
- Subject access requests, claims and complaints by data subjects
- Rectification, blocking, deletion and the right to be forgotten
- Damages and injunctions following online data breaches and online harassment
- Internet surveillance
- The misuse of social media
- Cyber risks and the availability of harmful material online
- Employee misuse of work equipment and accounts
We act for:
- Private individuals and bodies
- NGOs and campaign groups
- Healthcare providers
- Central and local government
- The police
- The security and intelligence services
- Disciplinary, regulatory and oversight bodies
Notable cases include:
Personal data: misuse of private information, data protection & article 8
- Home Sec v TLU  EWCA Civ 2217: Online data breach.
- R (Butt) v Home Sec  EWHC 1930 (Admin): Extremism Analysis Unit.
- TLT v Home Sec  EWHC 2217 (QB): Online data breach.
- MXA v Harrow LBC  EWHC 3756 (QB): Child protection reports.
- General Dental Council v Savery  EWHC 3011 (Admin): Disciplinary proceedings.
- Stone v South East Coast SHA  EWHC 1668 (Admin): Public interest in report.
State surveillance of online activities & communications
- R (Butt) v Home Sec  EWHC 1930 (Admin): Extremism Analysis Unit.
- Belhadj v Security Service  UKIPT 13132H: Interception and LPP.
- Liberty v GCHQ  UKIPT 1377H,  3 All ER 142: Edward Snowden claims.
Contempt of court, the internet & social media
- Dallas v United Kingdom (2016) 63 EHRR 13: Juror conducting online research.
- Attorney General v Fraill  EWHC 1629 (Admin): Juror misuse of Facebook.
- Attorney General v Associated Newspapers Ltd  EWHC 418 (Admin): Publication of prejudicial photos online.
Misuse of cyberspace & harmful material online
- ABC v WH  EWHC 2687 (QB): Tort claim arising out of indecent text messages.
- Re Tallulah Wilson (deceased): Inquest raising issues about self-harm and the internet.
- McIntrye v Information Commissioner  UKFTT EA/2013/0093 (GRC): FOIA appeal relating to extremist content online and filtering software.
Freedom of Information Act 2000
- GW v (1) The Information Commissioner, (2) The Cabinet Office  UKUT 312 (AAC): Right to privacy for former Prime Ministers and their employees.
- Willow v Info Commr  EWCA Civ 1876: Restraint of juveniles.
- DWP v Info Commr and Gale  UKUT 599 (AAC): EU infraction proceedings.
- Home Office v Info Commr and Cobain  UKUT 0027 (AAC): Deprivation of citizenship.
- Stevenson v Info Commr  UKUT 181 (AAC): Hospitals.
- BERR v O’Brien  EWHC 164 (QB): Legal professional privilege.
Chambers UK Bar Guide 2022 continues to recommend 1COR as a Band 1 Set - Oct 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 150: Can an AI become a patent inventor? - Oct 2021
Join us at the Bar Council Pupillage Fair on 16th October - Oct 2021
Proud to have Amelia Walker shortlisted for the ‘Junior Pro Bono Barrister of the Year’ at the Bar Pro Bono Awards - Oct 2021
Strolling through the parks for the London Legal Walk - Oct 2021
Delighted to remain a top tier set in the Legal 500 2022 Guide - Sep 2021
1 Crown Office Row proudly supports Youth Leaders Programme 2021-2022 - Sep 2021
Welcoming our new pupils Lucy McCann and Thomas Hayes today - Sep 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 149: Closed Material Procedures with Angus McCullough QC - Sep 2021
Suzanne Lambert walks 100km for the annual Oxfam Trailwalker Challenge - Sep 2021
Jeremy Hyam QC appointed as a Deputy High Court Judge - Sep 2021
Emma-Louise Fenelon appointed to BSB Independent Decision Making Body - Sep 2021
Rosalind English discusses Henry VIII powers, Parliamentary scrutiny and Podcasts in Counsel Magazine - Sep 2021
Matthew Donmall and Dominic Ruck Keene promoted by the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Sep 2021
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Spring 2021 – Issue 9 - Jul 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 147: Vicarious trauma in the legal profession - Jul 2021
Get your copy of the 1COR Bundle 2021-22 now - Jun 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 142: Vaccine hesitancy and the Court of Protection – who decides? - Apr 2021
Amy Mannion successful for claimant in judicial review against Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames - Apr 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 141: 100 days since UK’s withdrawal from the EU - Apr 2021
How can I search for an individual QMLR article? Using our new Archive website! - Apr 2021
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Winter 2020/21 – Issue 8 - Apr 2021
Sutton Trust Pathways to Law Insight Week: Imposter Syndrome - Apr 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 139: Harriet Wistrich on Criminal Justice for Women - Apr 2021
Women’s History Month : Reflections from 1COR - Mar 2021
Shaheen Rahman QC, Gideon Barth and Jo Moore take part in Pathways to Law mock trial - Feb 2021
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Autumn 2020 – Issue 7 - Feb 2021
Congratulations to John Whitting QC on being appointed to the Welsh Government Panel of Queen’s Counsel - Feb 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 134: the significant cases of 2020 - Jan 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 133: Is our Brexit trade deal with the EU a “Canada minus”? - Jan 2021
LawPod UK Ep. 132: Best of Law Pod UK 2020 - Dec 2020
Jo Moore discusses access to the Bar at the Diversity Network Inclusion Festival 2020 - Dec 2020
Martin Forde QC features on the Power List 2021 - Nov 2020
Iain O’Donnell joins roundtable on the Enforcement of Animal Welfare Legislation - Nov 2020
Annual Bar and Young Bar Conference 2020 “Forward Thinking: The Bar of the Future” featuring Martin Forde QC - Nov 2020
University of Bristol Medical Law Society and Bar Society: Clinical Negligence at the Bar Panel with Shaheen Rahman QC - Nov 2020
The Times Lawyer of the Week: Alasdair Henderson - Nov 2020
Law Pod UK Ep. 130: AI in Healthcare with Robert Kellar QC - Nov 2020
Inner Temple’s Discovery Day for Schools with Jo Moore and Michael Spencer - Oct 2020
When the Courts closed their doors: remote hearings, should they stay with us? - Sep 2020
1COR recommended as a Band 1 set with top client service in the Chambers Guide 2021 - Oct 2020
Martin Forde QC recognised in Oxford BHM 100 list - Oct 2020
Delighted by the Legal 500 Set Overviews and Testimonials - Oct 2020
‘See’ you at the Bar Council Pupillage Fair 2020 - Oct 2020
1COR barristers highly recommended in latest Legal 500 Bar Guide 2021 - Sep 2020
Welcoming new tenants Henry Tufnell and Alice Kuzmenko - Sep 2020
Law Pod UK Ep. 125: Latest on the Brexit transition with Prof. Barnard - Sep 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Summer 2020 – Issue 6 - Sep 2020
Jo Moore named as finalist for Rising Star – Barrister/Advocate of the Year by Women In Law Awards - Sep 2020
Law Pod UK Ep. 123: We’re back! With Joshua Rozenberg - Sep 2020
Congratulations on our Six Members appointed to the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Aug 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – 2020 – Special Issue – Part 3 - Jul 2020
Sutton Trust Pathways to Law Annual Virtual Conference with 1COR barristers - Jul 2020
Edite Ligere named as winner of International Advisory Experts Award 2020 for Banking & Finance in the UK - Jul 2020
Sarabjit Singh QC discusses age verification online with UK Feminista - Jul 2020
Oliver Sanders QC talks emerging tech with Law Commissioner Sarah Green in Counsel Magazine - May 2020
LawPod UK Ep.113: Tracking Coronavirus Symptoms - May 2020
Duncan Fairgrieve remotely appears before the Supreme Court in landmark tort law case - May 2020
Dominic Ruck Keene examines whether the lockdown is compliant with the European Charter of Human Rights? - May 2020
LawPod UK Ep. 108: Renewed lockdown, new guidance - Apr 2020
(Remote) Life at the Bar with the Sutton Trust - Apr 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review -2020 – Special Issue - Mar 2020
Lizanne Gumbel QC and her son Mark Wainwright aim to run their 11th consecutive Marathon - Mar 2020
COVID-19 Outbreak – Information for Clients - Mar 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Winter 2019/20 – Issue 4 - Mar 2020
In Conversation With…Robert Kellar QC and Edite Ligere on “Artificial Intelligence, Real Headache?” - Mar 2020
Michael Spencer contributes to 3rd edition of the legal handbook for disabled children - Mar 2020
Widening Participation with the Inner Temple and Warwick University - Feb 2020
Shaheen Rahman QC joins panellists at HRLA’s Review of the Year 2019 - Dec 2019
Coroner orders Social Media Companies to provide Data in Molly Russell Inquest - Nov 2019
Join us at the Bar Council Pupillage Fair 2019 - Oct 2019
1 Crown Office Row remains a Tier 1 Set in the Legal 500 2020 - Sep 2019
Edite Ligere offers insight into machine learning and AI at the Eurofi Financial Forum - Sep 2019
Read through some of the highlights of 2019 in the 1COR Bundle - Sep 2019
Hill Dickinson’s Healthcare Hub – Medical Lecture Series: AI in healthcare; using data to improve clinical outcomes with Oliver Sanders QC - Sep 2019
The 1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Spring 2019 – Issue 1 - May 2019
David Manknell acts for AAIB in High Court refusal of BBC application for Shoreham cockpit footage - Jan 2019
Matthew Hill succeeds in former PM costs case - Dec 2018
1 Crown Office Row remains a ‘Band 1 Set’ according to Chambers & Partners - Nov 2018
1 Crown Office Row remains a ‘top tier set’ in the Legal 500 2018 Guide - Oct 2018
Shaheen Rahman QC invited to speak at the JUSTICE Human Rights Law Conference 2018 - Oct 2018
David Manknell acting for the Investigatory Powers Tribunal in GCHQ surveillance claims - Jul 2014
Oliver Sanders in successful FOIA appeal for Home Office on immigration country lists - Apr 2013
Oliver Sanders QC and Michael Deacon in online data breach appeal - Jul 2018
Oliver Sanders and Matthew Flinn defend the SFO over Equitable Life papers - Sep 2012
Angus McCullough QC appeared with the Solicitor General in the widely reported Facebook juror contempt case - Jun 2011
Oliver Sanders and Michael Deacon in case about online data breach - Nov 2016