Matthew Withers successfully defends allegations of disability discrimination by association - Jul 2021
Matthew Withers has a busy civil practice and regularly accepts instructions in general civil law matters but he has particular experience in employment and property.Civil
Matthew accepts instructions across the full range of general civil work and as a tenant, Matthew has appeared in court in a variety of interim hearings, fast track trials and small claims matters on behalf of both claimants and defendants. Matthew has experience in dealing with complex applications, and accepts paperwork instructions to advise and draft documents in a range of matters including personal injury, breach of contract, package holiday, and negligence claims.
Matthew also has experience in property litigation, including claims involving the sale of land, residential and commercial landlord and tenant matters including possession claims, and service charge disputes. He also regularly represents Housing Association clients in obtaining possession orders, and injunctions to inspect gas appliances.
Matthew has recently represented clients located in other EU member states, including Greece and Spain and deals deftly with the application of EU Regulations as to jurisdiction, as well as the European Orders for Payment regime.
Listen to Matthew discuss the (potential) reactivation of housing possession claims in our August Civil Law seminar here.
In employment law Matthew has experience of a wide range of cases in the Employment tribunal, county court and High Court covering claims in TUPE, Discrimination, Equal pay, constructive unfair dismissal. Matthew also regularly acts in restraint of trade cases, advising in and responding to applications for interim injunctions.
During pupillage he assisted on numerous matters including acting for the respondent employer defending claims brought by 16 claimants framed in unfair dismissal, redundancy and TUPE, and for a claimant in a maternity/pregnancy discrimination claim against a NHS Trust.
Matthew acts for both Claimants and Defendants.
- Acted for Respondent firm successfully resisting allegations of direct disability discrimination, harassment and victimisation.
- Advised his senior executive client on her redundancy, against a background of potential actions for sexual harassment and direct sex discrimination.
- Appeared in the Queen’s Bench Division resisting an application for an interim injunction in a restraint of trade matter, Matthew successfully resisted the making of an injunction and negotiating an order compromising the entire action on terms that allowed his client to continue his business.
- Assisted in negotiations on behalf of a former female CEO of an international investment corporate entity against the chair of the entity’s group, in her claims which involved sex discrimination.
- Acted for the Respondent accountancy firm in respect of an equal pay claim.
- Advised a firm of solicitors on a restraint of trade matter, concerning their proposed employment of an employee from a competing firm
- Acted for a former police officer who brought claims of negligent misstatement against his former employer in relation to his security clearance.
See you at the virtual ULaw Pupillage Fair - Nov 2020
Catch up on our latest Civil Law Seminar on housing possession claims and civil procedure amendments - Aug 2020
1COR’s annual Ghulam Hussain Volleyball Cup featured in The Argus - Aug 2019
1COR’s annual Ghulam Hussain Volleyball Cup is here! - Jul 2019
Momentous game at the Brighton Metro Bank Pool League! - Jun 2019
Matthew Withers instructed to resist an urgent injunction relating to restraint of trade at the Royal Courts of Justice - May 2019
Cheer on 1COR at the Brighton Metro Bank Pool League - Jan 2019
Congratulations to Matthew Withers and David Reader joining 1COR as tenants - Oct 2018
Matthew Withers prosecutes man charged with public nuisance for incident that closed a major road in the centre of Brighton - Oct 2018
Matthew Withers instructed in appeal against sentence by professional footballer - Jul 2018