Oliver Sanders QC and Amelia Walker in Court of Appeal extremism case - Mar 2019
Oliver Sanders QC has a wide experience and expertise in public law and human rights, including judicial reviews, damages claims and statutory appeals; information rights, including data protection, freedom of information, breach of confidence and misuse of private information; national security and extremism; inquests and inquiries; contempt of court; and the Equality Act 2010.
He is a member of the Bar Pro Bono Scheme and the Inner Temple Advocacy Training Programme and has given lectures to various government and non-government clients, the Justice / Sweet and Maxwell FOI Conference and the ALBA Summer Conference.
Before joining chambers in 2004, Oliver spent seven years in the Government Legal Department working on the Northern Ireland peace process, prisons matters, public law litigation and the Hutton Inquiry.Public Law
Oliver acts for claimants and defendants in a wide variety of contexts. In addition to the contentious work referred to below, he has undertaken specialist advisory work for government on articles 2-3 and 5 of the ECHR, Crown immunity and Crown proceedings, the Equality Act 2010, new schools and academies (including free and grammar schools) and the forfeiture of pensions.
In the national security context, he has acted for the intelligence services, government, the police and oversight bodies in relation to: breach of confidence and injunction claims; closed material procedures and public interest immunity; contempt of court; extremism, including in education; investigatory powers and data protection; mediations; and reporting restrictions. Furthermore, he has also worked on more than 10 different claims for MOD under special forces confidentiality contracts.
- R (Butt) v Home Sec  EWCA Civ 256: Prevent duty & universities.
- R (Da Silva) v Chairman of UCPI  EWHC 426 (Admin): anonymity.
- R (Coll) v Justice Sec  UKSC 40: Approved premises for women.
- LL v Lord Chancellor  EWCA Civ 237: Flawed committal and article 5.
- Ministry of Defence v Maclachlan  EWHC 3733 (QB): Special forces confidentiality contracts.
- R (O'Connor) v Aldershot Magistrates  EWHC 2792 (Admin): Access to justice.
- NHS BSA v Williams  EWHC 1952 (Ch): Nursery nurse pensions.
- R (ILPA) v Tribunal Procedure Committee  EWHC 218 (Admin): Immigration appeals and closed materials.
- Lord Chancellor v Detention Action  EWCA Civ 840: Detained fast track appeal procedures.
- Webster v Lord Chancellor  EWCA Civ 742: Flawed summing up and articles 5-6.
- Wright v Lord Chancellor  EWHC 1477 (QB): Flawed sentencing and article 5.
- R (Al-Fawwaz) v Home Sec  EWHC 468 - 469 (Admin): Closed material procedures.
- R (Al-Fawwaz) v Home Sec  EWHC 166 (Admin): NCND and mutual legal assistance.
- R (Bentham) v Justice Sec  EWHC 2469 (Admin): Probation exclusion zones.
- R (Green) v Justice Sec  EWHC 3491 (Admin): Transsexual prisoners.
- R (T (Sri Lanka)) v Home Sec  EWHC 1093 (Admin): Immigration.
- Re a complaint of surveillance  UKIPT A1: Meaning of “surveillance” under RIPA.
- R (Simpson) v Home Sec  EWHC 808 (Admin): Police pensions.
- Malcolm v Justice Sec  EWCA Civ 1538: Prison exercise regimes.
- Ahmad v Brent LBC  EWHC 80 (QB): Lifer recalls.
- Morgan v Ministry of Justice  EWHC 2248 (QB): Prison healthcare and "victim" status under article 2.
- R (AB) v Justice Sec  EWHC 2220 (Admin): Transsexual prisoners.
- JS (Colombia) v Home Sec  EWCA Civ 1238: Deportation.
- Moore v SST  EWCA Civ 750: Francovich damages and limitation.
- Home Sec v Lord Alton of Liverpool  EWCA Civ 443: Proscribed organisations.
- Ministry of Defence v Griffin  EHWC 1542 (QB): Special forces confidentiality contracts.
- E v Home Sec  EWHC 2232 (Admin): Control orders.
Acting for interested persons (including families, healthcare professionals and private and public sector bodies) and coroners in connection with inquests into healthcare and hospital deaths, deaths in custody (prison, police, immigration and mental health), workplace and road traffic accidents, service deaths and related claims in tort and under article 2 of the ECHR.
- Re Paul Craig & Others: Guildford Pub Bombings 1974.
- Re Stuart Fuller: HIV and HCV contaminated blood products.
- Re LCpl Brynin: Friendly fire.
- Re Eystna Blunnie: Domestic homicide.
- Re Private Lomas: White water rafting.
- Re Jimmy Mubenga: Deportation restraint.
- Re Rhiya Malin: Nursery playground accident.
- Re Michael Harland: RAF Tornado ejection seat malfunction.
- Re Cpl Bryant & Others: Snatch Landrover IED.
- Re Able Seaman Johnstone: Navy diving accident.
- Re Godfrey Moyo: Prison restraint.
- Re Flt Lt Sale & Others: RAF helicopter crash.
- Re Lt Cole & Others: Navy helicopter crash.
- Re Capt Wright: SAS parachute accident.
Oliver acted for Number 10 witnesses in the Hutton Inquiry, he was counsel to the Intelligence Services Commissioner on his inquiry into Michael Adebolajo’s torture claims and counter-terrorism work overseas and he is currently acting for more than 100 former Metropolitan Police Service members of the Special Demonstration Squad and the National Public Order Intelligence Unit in the Undercover Policing Inquiry.
He acts for claimants and defendants in connection with information and personal data related cases for misuse of private information and under article 8 of the ECHR, the GDPR, the Data Protection Acts 1998 and 2018 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000
- R (Butt) v Home Sec  EWCA Civ 256: Prevent duty & universities.
- Home Sec v TLU  EWCA Civ 2217: Online data breach.
- Willow v Info Commr  EWCA Civ 1876: Restraint of juveniles.
- TLT v Home Sec  EWHC 2217 (QB): Online data breach.
- Youssef v Info Commr  UKFTT EA/2016/0185 (GRC): First Lady of Syria.
- Crook v Info Commr  UKFTT EA/2015/0224 (GRC): WW2 intelligence.
- DWP v Info Commr and Gale  UKUT 599 (AAC): EU infraction proceedings.
- Home Office v Info Commr and Cobain  UKUT 0027 (AAC): Deprivation of citizenship.
- MXA v Harrow LBC  EWHC 3756 (QB): Data protection.
- McIntrye v Info Commr  UKFTT EA/2013/0093 (GRC): Extremist material online.
- Stevenson v Info Commr  UKUT 181 (AAC): Hospitals.
- Home Office v Info Commr and John O  UKFTT EA/2011/0265 (GRC): Immigration lists.
- Platts v Info Commr  UKFTT EA/2012/0190 (GRC): Whether information “held”.
- Wynn v Info Commr  UKFTT EA/2011/0084 (GRC): Equitable Life.
- Pragnell v Info Commr  UKFTT EA/2011/0279 (GRC): Royal papers FOIA amendments.
- Veer v Info Commr  UKFTT EA/2011/0255 (GRC): Cabinet minutes.
- Weiss (AIRE Centre) v Info Commr  UKFTT EA/2011/0191 (GRC): Removal of EEA nationals.
- McGonagle v Info Commr  UKFTT EA/2011/0104 (GRC): UFOs.
- Gradwick v Info Commr  UKFTT EA/2010/0151 (GRC): Chemical weapons.
Oliver Sanders QC and Dominic Ruck Keene analyse Big Brother Watch & Others v UK in the latest issue of Counsel Magazine - Nov 2018
Oliver Sanders QC and Michael Deacon in online data breach appeal - Jul 2018
The Sutton Trust’s ‘Pathways to Law: Introduction to Law’ at the London School of Economics - Jan 2018
New QC Appointments Announced Oliver Sanders and Shaheen Rahman - Jan 2017
Oliver Sanders and Amelia Walker in counter-extremism judicial review - Dec 2016
Oliver Sanders QC successful in Court of Appeal case about FOIA and restraint of children - Nov 2017
The Times reports on Chambers extremism cases - Jun 2017
Oliver Sanders QC in Supreme Court equality case about probation hostels for women - May 2017
Oliver Sanders QC in Court of Appeal case about damages for judicial mistakes - Apr 2017
Oliver Sanders QC and Shaheen Rahman QC take Silk - Feb 2017
Oliver Sanders obtains injunction in SAS media case - Nov 2016
Oliver Sanders and Michael Deacon in case about online data breach - Nov 2016
Oliver Sanders in white water rafting inquest - Oct 2015
Oliver Sanders successful in Court of Appeal challenge over probation hostels for women - Apr 2015
Oliver Sanders successful in ground-breaking judicial review arising out of US terror trial - Mar 2015
Oliver Sanders acts for the Ministry of Justice in judicial review about items for transsexual prisoner - Jan 2014
Oliver Sanders acts for Ministry of Justice in judicial review about probation hostels for women - Jan 2014
Oliver Sanders and Andrea Lindsay Strugo act for the Government in Jimmy Mubenga inquest - May 2013
Oliver Sanders in successful FOIA appeal for Home Office on immigration country lists - Apr 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2013 - Feb 2013
Oliver Sanders and Matthew Flinn defend the SFO over Equitable Life papers - Sep 2012
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2012 - Feb 2012
Oliver Sanders acts for MOD in Snatch Land Rover inquest - Mar 2010