The Times reports on Chambers extremism cases - Jun 2017
Angus is described as one of the leading QCs at the Bar in his varied fields of practice by Chambers & Partners.
He was a member of the ‘A’ Panel of civil Treasury Counsel for 8 years, during which time he regularly appeared on matters of public and private law both on behalf of Government departments, other public bodies, and as amicus curiae before the High Court, Court of Appeal and House of Lords, as well as representing the UK Government at the UN in Geneva and in ECtHR proceedings in Strasbourg. He has appeared in 8 cases before the House of Lords / Privy Council / Supreme Court. He won the Chambers and Partners award for personal injury and clinical negligence barrister of the year 2009, and took silk in 2010.
As well as his appearances acting for the Government, Angus has been instructed as the special advocate in some of the most high profile cases of recent years in the field of national security. These include:
- Abu Qatada; Zatuliveter (alleged Russian spy whose appeal against deportation was allowed)
- AF (No.3) (House of Lords case considering requirements of fairness in control order proceedings)
- Al Rawi (civil claim of Guantanamo detainees against the UK Government)
- Pham (statelessness and deprivation of British citizenship)
An esteemed public law silk, he is renowned for his adept handling of SIAC work, which often centres on national security matters. He routinely acts for both claimants and the government in complex, high-profile cases.
- Campaign Against the Arms Trade v. Secretary of State for International Development  EWHC 1754 (Admin): (Challenge to the Government’s licensing of arms sales to Saudi Arabia.)
- Rahmatullah v MoD and others  EWHC 547: (Civil claim alleging mistreatment and unlawful transfer to US custody by UK state; acting as special advocate.)
- R (MR) v. SSHD  EWHC 469 (Admin): (Challenge to cancellation of British passport.)
- McGartland v. SSHD  EWCA Civ 686: (Consideration by CA of principles to be applied in permitting closed material procedure under s.6 of the Justice and Security Act 2013) Secretary of State for the Home Department v AF, AN and AE ("AF No.3")  UKHL 28
- R (Baiai & Others) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  1 AC 287, House of Lords.
- Savage v South Essex Partnership NHS Trust  2 WLR 115, House of Lords.
- OO (Jordan) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  2 WLR 512, House of Lords.
- R (Quila) v SSHD  1 AC 621, Supreme Court.
- Dallas v UK, ECtHR: (Application to Strasbourg Court by juror imprisoned for contempt of court in researching case on the internet.)
He has extensive experience in conducting claims of the highest value and complexity, including obstetrics and fetal medicine, neonatal management, neurosurgery, management of spinal injuries, infectious diseases (including TB and meningitis), and anaesthetics.
- Bolitho v City & Hackney Health Authority (CA).
- Savage v. South Essex Partnership NHS Trust  2 WLR 115, House of Lords.
- Plampin v Havering NHS PCT  EWHC 39, Forbes J.
- Holt v Edge  EWCA Civ 602, CA.
- EW v Johnson  EWHC 276 (QB): (claim against GP alleging fail-ure to refer child with pneumococcal meningitis.)
- EXP v Barker  EWHC 1289: (alleged failure to identify vascular abnormality in MRI brain scan.)
- McGuinn v. Lewisham & Greenwich NHST  EWHC 88 (QB): ('wrongful birth’ claim; failure to refer for further investigation and advice in relation to antenatal abnormalities.)
- Winspear v. City Hospitals Sunderland NHSFT  EWHC 3250 (QB): (human rights claim arising out of ‘do not attempt cardio-pulmonary resuscitation order.')
Angus is experienced at handling high profile inquests and public inquiries, often involving sensitive or confidential information.
Angus frequently advises in professional discipline cases which intersect with health regulations.
- R (Shiekh) v General Dental Council  EWHC 2972 (Admin).
- Dad v General Dental Council  1 WLR 1538, Privy Council.
- Aarhus Convention Compliance Committee: 5 cases - 2009/10: (appeared in the UN in Geneva on behalf of the UK Government.)
- United Utilities Water Plc v Environment Agency  1 WLR 2707, House of Lords.
- R (Greenpeace) v Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs  Env LR 19: (Challenge to the Defra’s measures to tackle the problem of dolphin bycatch in pair trawling.)
- Environment Agency v Inglenorth Ltd  EWHC 670 (Admin) Divisional Court: (concerning the meaning of 'waste'.)
- Redfern Inquiry into human tissue analysis in UK nuclear facilities : (with David Hart QC, represented one of the principal nuclear industry bodies.)
Martin Downs in new Radicalisation Judgment about protecting older children and vulnerable adults - Apr 2017
Marina Wheeler QC in Public Interest Immunity & Radicalisation case - Apr 2017
Angus McCullough QC Acts As Special Advocate in Judicial Review of licensing of UK Arms Exports to Saudi Arabia - Feb 2017
Angus McCullough QC and Matthew Donmall appear in civil claim arising out of attempted murder in Kyrgyz Republic - Sep 2016
Angus McCullough QC qualifies as an arbitrator - Jun 2016
Control order upheld following rehearing - May 2016
Angus McCullough QC in Article 7 European Court of Human Rights case - Feb 2016
3 members listed in Who’s Who Legal 2016 - Feb 2016
Angus McCullough QC in non delegable duty of care case brought against the Home Office - Apr 2015
Human Rights Blog reaches final of the UK Blog Awards 2015 - Dec 2014
Angus McCullough QC is acting as Advocate to the Court (‘Amicus’) in the trial of Rebekah Brooks, Andrew Coulson & Others - Dec 2013
Ten 1COR members and our Chambers Academic have contributed to the 3rd Edition of Burnett-Hall on Environmental Law” - Feb 2013
Angus McCullough QC acted as Special Advocate in Abu Qatada’s deportation proceedings - Nov 2012
Angus McCullough QC appeared as special advocate in the case of Omar - Jul 2012
Angus McCullough QC is acting as Special Advocate in Abu Qatada’s deportation proceedings - May 2012
Angus McCullough QC giving evidence on the Justice and Security Green Paper to the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Human Rights - Jan 2012
Angus McCullough QC is acting as special advocate for Abu Qatada in his applications for habeas corpus and bail - Jan 2012
Angus McCullough QC special advocate for Russian cleared of spying in deportation case - Nov 2011
Supreme Court finds against the Home Office on forced marriages - Oct 2011
Angus McCullough QC special advocate for MP’s Russian assistant in deportation case - Oct 2011
Angus McCullough QC appeared with the Solicitor General in the widely reported Facebook juror contempt case - Jun 2011
Angus McCullough QC and Andrea Lindsay Strugo in first live streamed human rights Supreme Court case - Jun 2011
Angus McCullough QC appeared as Special Advocate for appellant in controversial appeal against deportation of terror suspects - May 2010
Angus McCullough gives evidence to the parliamentary Joint Committee on Human Rights on the special advocate system - Feb 2010