Law Pod UK : Family Law Series : First Podcast Episode Released - May 2021
Clare Ciborowska is a specialist family practitioner and has a strong local practice.
Clare accepts instructions in care proceedings, Family Law Act applications, private family law and international family law and acts for parents, Local Authorities, Children and interveners appearing in the High Court and Court of Appeal as well as in the local Sussex Courts.
Clare has a strong work ethic and is adept at representing clients from all backgrounds including clients with diagnosed mental health problems, learning difficulties, substance misuse / addiction problems and parents who are often under intense emotional pressure in cases concerning their children.
Clare is regularly instructed in urgent / without notice applications and in fully contested matters and has recently completed the specialist advocacy training at Keble College, Oxford.
Clare takes time out of her court diary each year to teach students undertaking the BA/MA in social work court skills training at the University of Sussex.Children (Public Law)
In public law Clare has dealt with a number of complex cases including:
- Complex Fact-Finding hearings
- Contested Final hearings
- Applications for ICO/EPO/Secure Accommodation
- Suspected Non-Accidental Injury;
- Physical and sexual abuse;
- Cases of Chronic Neglect;
- Cases of suspected FII
- Serious domestic abuse/violence;
- Cases with international/cultural/jurisdictional elements
- Cases with suspected honor-based violence
- Cases involving wider immigration issues
- Cases where the Official Solicitor has been appointed
- Representing Grandparents and SGO holders in care/private law proceedings
- Representation of parents with learning difficulties/complex needs/vulnerabilities
- Appeals from first instance decisions
- A Local Authority v B & I (2017): Representing Local Authority in case concerning suspected FII.
- A Local Authority v C & C (2017): Representing father in case concerning allegations of sexual abuse.
- A Local Authority v J (2017): Representing a father in second set of care proceedings with LA seeking removal of child from Father's care.
- A Local Authority v J (2017): Representation of the child via the children's Guardian in care proceedings concerning possible international placement.
- S v S (2017): Argued for a cross non-molestation order to be made in favour of a father in a private law contact case where both parents were alleging domestic abuse.
- W v W (2017): Acting for a father in a case where all contact had broken down and where the mother sought to frustrate contact at each hearing. Argued successfully for a 16.4 Guardian to be appointed.
- P v P (2017): Acting for a mother in a contact case where there have been allegations of Honour-based violence.
- L v H (2016): Acting for Mother in residence dispute with ISW report. Argued for child to live with the mother and secured favourable order against hostile father.
- S v A (2016): Acting for a mother against a father seeking contact from prison.
- L v C (2016): Acting for Special Guardians in an application by birth parent for contact.
- Local Authority v P & G (2016): Fact-finding hearing into suspected NAI with child sustaining ALTE injury, bruising and suspected strangulation marks.
- Local Authority v G (2015): Application during care proceedings for permission not to give father notice of the proceedings due to risk of violence towards mother and child.
- Local Authority v D (2014): Fact-Finding hearing into suspected NAI. Child sustaining injuries to the face. Issue as to causation.
- L v L (2013): Successfully defended a father against allegations of sexual abuse. Findings made that the allegations had been fabricated by the Mother in order to frustrate contact.
- Re W (A Child)  EWCA Civ 106;  2 F.L.R. 240: Acting for the father before the President of the Family Division in a case concerning separation under an Interim Care Order.
In Private Law Clare has dealt with, inter alia, the following
- Cases of Implacable hostility and parental alienation
- Intractable contact / residence disputes and cases where all contact has broken down following the breakdown of a relationship
- Specific issue orders / Prohibited Steps orders (including for education / holidays abroad / holidays to non-Hague convention countries)
- Cases where a Rule 16.4 Guardian has been appointed
- Interim transfer of residence cases
- Private law cases involving S.37 investigations
- Internal and external relocation cases
Clare represents clients in injunctive proceedings including where allegations of serious domestic violence or abuse have been made. She has gained much experience of such applications, particularly where those applications are linked to concurrent Children Act 1989 proceedings.
Listen to Clare discuss coercive and controlling behaviour as applied in the family courts in episode 43 of our podcast Law Pod UK here.
Clare Ciborowska comments on the Domestic Violence Bill in the Independent - Feb 2021
Richard Ager and Clare Ciborowska discuss Coercive Control and Abuse - Jan 2021
Coercive Control in the Family Courts: F v M  EWFC 4 - Jan 2021
Clare Ciborowska discusses Coercive Control at Cambridgeshire & West Suffolk Resolution Workshop - Nov 2020
The BBC asks ‘Is This Coercive Control?’ with Clare Ciborowska - Oct 2020
Clare Ciborowska & Natasha Isaac provide an update on Domestic Abuse for Lexis Nexis - Feb 2020
Clare Ciborowska writes about Dignity, Fairness, Equality, Respect and Independence in the Family Law Journal - Aug 2019
Join 1COR and East Sussex YRes with GoodLaw Solicitors for a Seminar on ‘Finance and Children’ - Jun 2019
Clare Ciborowska gives insight into coercive control in private law proceedings in the Family Law Journal - May 2019
International Women’s Day: Clare Ciborowska & Pegah Sharghy reflect on life at the Bar - Mar 2019
Clare Ciborowska on Domestic Abuse: Coercive Control - Oct 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 43: Coercive and controlling behaviour as applied in the family courts - Oct 2018
Clare Ciborowska succeeds in Appeal of findings made at a private law (children) final hearing - Sep 2018
Clare Ciborowska and Kirsten Japp talk with Worthing Law Society about domestic abuse cases - Sep 2018
Clare Ciborowska succeeds in complex fact-finding hearing in a private law case concerning allegations of coercive control - Aug 2018
Martin Downs and Clare Ciborowska in case concerning placement of a child in The Gambia - Feb 2018
Clare Ciborowska and Christopher Rice successfully challenge a care plan for adoption - Jun 2017
Richard Ager and Clare Ciborowska appointed as Associates of the University of Sussex - Mar 2015
Clare Ciborowska’s Commentary on an Alternative Dispute Resolution Conference in Singapore - Dec 2012
Clare Ciborowska and Catriona Murdoch secure funding to attend International Legal Conferences - Sep 2012
Re J (A Child: Disclosure)  EWCA Civ 120: Sexual Abuse Allegations and Disclosure - Sep 2012
The role of Litigants in Person in the courts and the wider implications for family lawyers - Jul 2012
Family Law without the Lawyers? McKenzie Friends, Litigants in person and funding expert reports Seminar - Jun 2012
Luisa Morelli and Clare Ciborowska appear before the Court of Appeal - Dec 2011