Owain Thomas QC gives insight into VAT and Property at the Bloomsbury Professional Property Tax Conference 2019 - Nov 2019
Owain has a broad public law practice which encompasses public inquiries and judicial review challenges in all areas of his practice, including tax. He has experience of regulatory challenges in the healthcare sector e.g challenges to disciplinary decisions by the GMC or the management of performance lists and also more broadly, e.g. challenges to the language requirements for doctors based on EU law. He has particular expertise in criminal injuries compensation cases involving judicial review in the Upper Tribunal and above.
- Hutton and others v Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority  EWCA Civ 1305: succeeded in a judicial review claim for the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority on time limits for historic claims for compensation
- Mid-Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust Public Inquiry (2010-2012): Counsel for the NHSLA.
- Redfern Inquiry (2007-2008): Into Nuclear Industry (representing BNFL
- The Alder Hey Inquiry into the Removal and Retention of Organs: Junior Counsel for the Alder Hey.
- Independent Inquiry into the Conduct and Performance of Richard Neale (2003): Junior Counsel to the Inquiry instructed by the Department of Health. Chairman Susan Matthews QC.
- R (Hutton and others) v FTT and CICA  EWCA Civ 1305: case concerning time limits for applications for compensation for historic crimes.
- R (Tene) v Health Education England (2014): Judicial Review of language requirements for doctors in training.
- R (Gibson) v GMC (2014): Judicial Review of GMC Registrars decision to convene review hearing.
- Dr N v Warrington PCT  UKUT 179 (AAC): Article 9 challenge to removal of doctor from performers list for introducing religious content to consultations.
Owain Thomas QC judges at the 2019 LSE-Featherstone Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Moot - Feb 2019
Owain Thomas QC in perhaps the last reference to the CJEU from a domestic court before Brexit - Feb 2019
The End, the Beginning of the End or the End of the Beginning: Erasure, Remediation and Rights of Appeal in Disciplinary Proceedings - Nov 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 47: Darnley v Croydon Health Services NHS Trust - Oct 2018
Owain Thomas QC and Isabel McArdle successful in Abuse of Law Appeal - Apr 2018
Owain Thomas QC and Matthew Hill applied for a court order allowing the OPCW to analyse blood samples taken from victims of the Salisbury nerve agent attack - Mar 2018
Congratulations to Owain Thomas QC, Jeremy Hyam QC and Amy Mannion on being appointed as Recorders - Mar 2018
Owain Thomas QC is appearing before the Grand Chamber of the CJEU in VAT case involving Volkswagen Financial Services - Feb 2018
Owain Thomas QC and Isabel McArdle appear in Court of Appeal in Abuse Case and Tax Avoidance - Feb 2018
Owain Thomas QC and Isabel McArdle successful in resisting permission in tax judicial review - Feb 2018
Owain Thomas QC acted for the UK government in a recent preliminary ruling in the Court of Justice of the European Union - Oct 2017
Owain Thomas QC wins VAT case for woodland charity - Sep 2017
Supreme Court refers questions to the CJEU in Volkswagen Financial Services Ltd v Commissioners for HMRC - Apr 2017
Stephen Miller QC, Philip Havers QC and Owain Thomas QC in a significant clinical negligence judgment - Apr 2017
Owain Thomas QC wins judicial review claim for Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority - Feb 2017
Owain Thomas QC wins Court of Appeal case on time limits for victims of criminal injuries - Dec 2016
Owain Thomas QC in the Court of Appeal in Criminal Injuries Compensation case - Dec 2016
Owain Thomas QC, leading Amy Mannion, Acted for HMRC against Volkswagen Financial Services - Nov 2016
Owain Thomas QC representing the United Kingdom Government in the CJEU - Jun 2016
Owain Thomas QC wins VAT case on diagnostic services for the NHS against HMRC - May 2016
Owain Thomas QC and Matthew Donmall win Supreme Court VAT case on third party consideration - May 2016
Owain Thomas QC and Matthew Donmall in the Supreme Court - Mar 2016
‘Six of the Best!’ 6 members appointed Queen’s Counsel - Jan 2016
Owain Thomas wins Court of Appeal customs law case - Dec 2015
Owain Thomas and Matthew Donmall obtain a reference by the Court of Appeal to the CJEU in VAT case - Nov 2015
Owain Thomas in the Court of Appeal in customs law case on military clothing - Nov 2015
Owain Thomas successful in HMRC tax avoidance case - Jun 2015
Owain Thomas wins for HMRC in Court of Appeal VAT dispute with Sub-One represented by Philippa Whipple QC and Isabel McArdle - Jun 2014
Owain Thomas succeeds in defending a PCT’s decision not to admit a Doctor who introduced religious content into consultations - Oct 2013
Owain Thomas and Matthew Donmall win for HMRC in test case on VAT liability for medical supplies - May 2013
Owain Thomas wins for HMRC against BAA Ltd in the Court of Appeal in a leading case on input tax - Feb 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2013 - Feb 2013
Ten 1COR members and our Chambers Academic have contributed to the 3rd Edition of “Burnett-Hall on Environmental Law” - Feb 2013
Owain Thomas wins for HMRC in VAT dispute with Sub-One represented by Philippa Whipple QC and Isabel McArdle - Oct 2012
Owain Thomas represents the family of boy killed by falling lamppost - May 2012
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2012 - Feb 2012
GMC’s findings of fact re Dr Wakefield announced - Feb 2010