Sydney Chawatama re-elected to the Bar Council - Oct 2019
Sydney has appeared regularly at inquests mainly on behalf of families and also on behalf of NHS Trusts and defence organisations representing GPs and practice managers. Has experience of enhanced and jury inquests.
- Re C: a high profile inquest into death of woman following a termination of pregnancy.
- Re S: Six day inquest into death of an elderly woman admitted to hospital from a care home with bronchopneumonia. The care home and GP were interested parties. The Assistant Coroner rejected a conclusion of unlawful killing and did not find neglect. The police had been requested to investigate but found no evidence of any offence. January 2019.
- Re AC: Nine-day inquest into the death of a woman after a late stage (22 weeks) termination of pregnancy at a private day clinic, having travelled from Ireland. Within 30 minutes of her discharge from the clinic, she collapsed and died in a taxi from massive internal bleeding leading to a cardiac arrest. Read more here. April 2018. Acted for family.
- Re B (2017): represented family in inquest concerning the death of a 41 year old woman who died in hospital from (at the time undiagnosed) infective myocarditis, having been admitted just 3 days earlier with suspected pneumonia.
- Re SG (2016): alleged delay in diagnosis and management of sepsis.
- Re X (2015): acted for GP at 3 day inquest. Deceased had learning disabilities. In-quest verdict quashed by consent by High Court.
- Re F Khan (2015): death following a third trimester miscarriage and attempt medical evacuation. Finding of gross failure made by Coroner.
- Re RC (2015): three day inquest.
- Re Alastair Hosie (2010): out of hours missed diagnosis of leg infection resulting in severe sepsis and death.
- Re Baby Abbie (2010): wrongful prescription of diuretic in infant. South Yorkshire Coroner’s Court, Sheffield. 17 day inquest.
- Andrew Smith (2007): five day inquest before a jury at Leicester Coroners Court.
Sydney Chawatama FCIArb discusses International Arbitration at the 21st Commonwealth Law Conference 2019 - Apr 2019
Sydney Chawatama joins Sport Resolutions Pro Bono Panel - Feb 2019
Sydney Chawatama to participate in ‘It’s ok to talk about race! Experiences to help unlock BAME legal talent’ panel discussion - May 2018
Martin Forde QC and Sydney Chawatama instructed in the inquest into death of a woman after termination of pregnancy - Apr 2018
Sydney Chawatama is appointed to Co-Vice Chair of the Law Reform Committee - Dec 2017
Delighted to announce Sydney Chawatama is now a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Dec 2017
Sydney Chawatama elected to the Bar Council for 2017 - Oct 2016
Sydney Chawatama in a Court of Protection case on the capacity of a woman with mental health problems to have an abortion - May 2013
Philip Havers QC and Sydney Chawatama win in Court of Appeal on a matter of fact in breast cancer claim - Mar 2012
Neil Garnham QC and Sydney Chawatama win appeal on mental health patients unlawful detention - Jan 2011
Sydney Chawatama defends claim by mental patient released under Habeas Corpus - Jun 2010