William Edis QC secures compensation for brain damaged boy - Jul 2020
Professional Discipline & Regulation
William Edis QC has extensive experience in acting before professional disciplinary tribunals, most commonly those of the General Medical Council, the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and the General Dental Council. He has acted in cases of clinical incompetence, behavioural misconduct, sexual misconduct, fraud (including research fraud), behavioural misconduct and general issues of dishonesty. He has particular experience in performance and competence issues.
Recently, he has successfully helped a doctor be restored following administrative erasure even though complaints had been made during the period of non-registration, assisted veterinary surgeons in various disciplinary inquiries and represented Dr Michalak in her successful trip to the Supreme Court in relation to the jurisdiction of the Employment Tribunal where a registrant wishes to allege discriminatory treatment by a regulator that is unlawful under the Equality Act 2010.
He is the Chair of the Disciplinary Appeals Tribunal of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries.
- Michalak v General Medical Council & others  UKSC 71: forum for complaints of unlawful discrimination within regulatory proceedings.
- Lovett v HCPC  EWHC (Admin) 1024
- Muscat v HCP  EWCA Civ 1090: fresh evidence on appeal where that appeal takes the form of a rehearing.
- Chakrabarty v Ipswich Hospitals NHS Trust and NCAS  EWHC 2735 (QB): parallel proceedings before the MPTS and under MHPS
- R (ota Michalak) v GMC  EWHC 2307 (Admin): Consequences of a GMC panel becoming inquorate mid-hearing.
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Spring 2020 – Issue 5 - May 2020
LawPod UK Ep. 110: Commercial surrogacy arrangements – within or without the law? - May 2020
The End, the Beginning of the End or the End of the Beginning: Erasure, Remediation and Rights of Appeal in Disciplinary Proceedings - Nov 2018
William Edis QC succeeds in the Supreme Court in a significant case concerning regulated professionals - Nov 2017
William Edis QC wins important discrimination appeal against the GMC - Mar 2016