Sydney Chawatama judges at the 2022 Monroe E Price Media Law Moot Court Competition - May 2022
Professional Discipline & Regulation
Sydney has represented practitioners before the MPTS (including the Interim Orders Panel), General Optical Council and Nursing and Midwifery Council. He has been instructed by the General Chiropractic Council and appeared on its behalf before the PCC.
- Re H (2021/22): NMC proceedings following a conviction arising from out of work incidents. At final hearing panel found fitness to practice was not currently impaired.
- Re L (2022): Proceedings concerning aesthetic specialist performing cosmetic surgery. No finding of impairment.
- Re M (2022): GDC proceedings related to clinical performance.
- Re Dr O. (2018): GDC initial PCC hearing representing a dentist. GDC sought a suspension order but accepted submissions on behalf of the dentist that a reprimand was the proportionate sanction.
- Re S. (2017): represented a nurse at the NMC in a hearing that lasted four weeks. Her case was joined with four others arising out of the same facts. The panel found that her fitness to practice was not impaired. January 2018.
- Instructed by the GCC to represent it on a preliminary application. 
- Various hearings representing different Registrants at the GOC. 2010 – 2013
- Re Dr N, IOP (2010).
- Re Dr S, Registration Appeals Panel (2011).
- Dr G v Neath Port Talbot Health Board. FHSAA, (2009): two hearings.
- Re Mr P. PMETB Appeal Board, (2008 and 2009).
Sydney Chawatama secures result in three recent Sports Law cases - Oct 2020
Sydney Chawatama re-elected to the Bar Council - Oct 2019
Sydney Chawatama FCIArb discusses International Arbitration at the 21st Commonwealth Law Conference 2019 - Apr 2019
Sydney Chawatama joins Sport Resolutions Pro Bono Panel - Feb 2019
Sydney Chawatama to participate in ‘It’s ok to talk about race! Experiences to help unlock BAME legal talent’ panel discussion - May 2018
Martin Forde QC and Sydney Chawatama instructed in the inquest into death of a woman after termination of pregnancy - Apr 2018
Sydney Chawatama is appointed to Co-Vice Chair of the Law Reform Committee - Dec 2017
Delighted to announce Sydney Chawatama is now a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Dec 2017
Sydney Chawatama elected to the Bar Council for 2017 - Oct 2016
Sydney Chawatama in a Court of Protection case on the capacity of a woman with mental health problems to have an abortion - May 2013
Philip Havers QC and Sydney Chawatama win in Court of Appeal on a matter of fact in breast cancer claim - Mar 2012
Neil Garnham QC and Sydney Chawatama win appeal on mental health patients unlawful detention - Jan 2011
Sydney Chawatama defends claim by mental patient released under Habeas Corpus - Jun 2010