Sydney Chawatama joins Sport Resolutions Pro Bono Panel - Feb 2019
Sydney has acted in several birth injury and catastrophic personal injury claims arising out of road traffic accidents in the High Court and Court of Appeal.
He mainly acts on behalf of claimants, accepting instructions in claims arising from RTAs (including MIB claims), workplace accidents, highways, occupiers’ liability and accidents abroad. Special interest in accidents involving cyclists and pedestrians.
- ReB (2017): brain injury sustained by elderly man when a passenger on a bus. Liability admitted and case settled for £200,000. Acted for claimant.
- Re A (2016): traumatic amputation of fingers caught in calendar machine. Settlement £325,000.
- Re X. January (2016): non-recent sexual abuse of a child. Settlement £275,000.
- Re R (2016): RTA trial Exeter CC. Child cyclist run down. Moderate brain injury.
- Re N (2016): car / motorcycle RTA. Multiple fractures. Settlement £95,000.
- Re A (2015): child pedestrian RTA. Severe leg degloving injury. Settlement £230,000.
- Re EJ (2015): severe brain injury from RTA. Child pedestrian. Settlement £2 million.
- Re. Oxford District Registry, HHJ Harris. (2014.)
- RE v GE. alleged sexual abuse by father. Limitation defence succeeded and upheld on appeal.
- Re R (2010): RTA trial where a pedestrian was struck by bus near a controlled crossing. Brighton County Court, HHJ Hollis.
- Re B. Settlement (2010.)
- Re S. Exeter County Court. Settlement (2009.)
- Wallsgrave v Snowflake Cat Litter (2003): workplace accident resulting in severe upper limb injury. Settlement £700,000.
- T Van Oudenhoven v Griffin Inns  1 WLR 1413: junior in High Court and Court of Appeal.
Sydney Chawatama to participate in ‘It’s ok to talk about race! Experiences to help unlock BAME legal talent’ panel discussion - May 2018
Martin Forde QC and Sydney Chawatama instructed in the inquest into death of a woman after termination of pregnancy - Apr 2018
Sydney Chawatama is appointed to Co-Vice Chair of the Law Reform Committee - Dec 2017
Delighted to announce Sydney Chawatama is now a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Dec 2017
Sydney Chawatama elected to the Bar Council for 2017 - Oct 2016
Sydney Chawatama in a Court of Protection case on the capacity of a woman with mental health problems to have an abortion - May 2013
Philip Havers QC and Sydney Chawatama win in Court of Appeal on a matter of fact in breast cancer claim - Mar 2012
Neil Garnham QC and Sydney Chawatama win appeal on mental health patients unlawful detention - Jan 2011
Sydney Chawatama defends claim by mental patient released under Habeas Corpus - Jun 2010