Sydney Chawatama joins Sport Resolutions Pro Bono Panel - Feb 2019
Court of Protection
In the mental health field, Sydney has represented patients and Trusts before the Mental Health Review Tribunal (FTT). He has appeared in County Court and High Court mental health cases, including judicial review in the landmark case of TTM in the Court of Appeal.
He has developed his Court of Protection practice with regular appearances in the High Court in health and welfare cases, including several reported cases. Has received instructions from Trusts, local authorities, families and the Official solicitor on behalf of P. Issues on which he is instructed include capacity, residence, contact with relatives, deprivation of liberty and consent to treatment.
- Re X (2015 -2016): living arrangements and spousal contact. P had a deterioration cerebral palsy. Various hearings at COP at Oxford.
- Re WK (2014): FTT, section 37/41 MHA.
- Re PP (2014): FTT. Section 37 MHA. Successful challenge to diagnosis of mental disorder by patient.
- Re BS (2013): FTT. Section 47/49 MHA.
- Re SB (2013): decision by a patient detained under the MHA to terminate pregnancy.
- PH v CC & Ors, COP, Baker J (2012): (Various hearings.
- B v Tees, Esk & Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust (2012): FTT.
- D v Tees, Esk & Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust (2012): FTT.
- Re TTM (2010): Collins J. Judicial Review hearing (3 days) following on from Habeas Corpus application below.
- Re TTM (2009): Admin Court, Burton J, 10 February. Application for writ of Habeas Corpus. Challenge based on alleged lack of consultation of nearest relative in sectioning process by social worker.
- Re JN (2009): sectioned patient declining to consent to urgent surgery for abdominal cancer. Various hearings in the High Court (COP).
- Re DU.  EWHC 3504 (Fam).
- Re M. Sterilisation. COP, Mrs Justice Eleanor King (2008).
- The NHS Trust v A (a child) & Ors  EWHC 1696 (Fam).
Sydney Chawatama to participate in ‘It’s ok to talk about race! Experiences to help unlock BAME legal talent’ panel discussion - May 2018
Martin Forde QC and Sydney Chawatama instructed in the inquest into death of a woman after termination of pregnancy - Apr 2018
Sydney Chawatama is appointed to Co-Vice Chair of the Law Reform Committee - Dec 2017
Delighted to announce Sydney Chawatama is now a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Dec 2017
Sydney Chawatama elected to the Bar Council for 2017 - Oct 2016
Sydney Chawatama in a Court of Protection case on the capacity of a woman with mental health problems to have an abortion - May 2013
Philip Havers QC and Sydney Chawatama win in Court of Appeal on a matter of fact in breast cancer claim - Mar 2012
Neil Garnham QC and Sydney Chawatama win appeal on mental health patients unlawful detention - Jan 2011
Sydney Chawatama defends claim by mental patient released under Habeas Corpus - Jun 2010