Sydney Chawatama secures result in three recent Sports Law cases - Oct 2020
Sydney has extensive experience in costs. He acted for the Defendant in Samonini, which first established a material breach of the CFA Regulations could occur despite the client in fact having no BTE. His costs work includes CFA challenges to enforceability, cost budgeting, solicitor- client costs, points of principle in detailed assessments, full detailed assessments and oral reviews of provisional assessments. Previously a contributor to Westlaw’s Costs Update on detailed assessment.
- Re C (2015): portal exit challenge by D at an oral review of a provisional assessment upholding C’s decision to exit. Costs Officer Pigott.
- Re B (2015): Cardiff CC. HHJ Keyser QC. Appeal by D2 against DJ costs order following discontinuance of claim against D1. Successfully overturned.
- Fiona Hatfield v Lewisham Hospitals NHS Trust, SCCO, (2012).
- Lucy Branston (Deceased) v Dr Francis Perez- Carral, Leeds County Court, (2011).
- Jeanette De Bono v Wellcare Nursing Home, SCCO, (2012).
- Re AH and Others (Costs),  EWHC 3524 (COP) Peter Jackson J.
- Gandy v King, SCCO, Master Howarth, (2010).
- Hanley v Smith & Anor  EWHC 90144 (Costs) Deputy Master Williams.
- Poole v Parker , Birmingham CC, HHJ Cardinal.
- Sockett v DTI Sheffield CC, DJ Hill (2007).
- Carter-Ruck v Finn, High Court, Irwin J. (2007).
- Samoni v London General Transport PIQR P20 (2005).
Sydney Chawatama re-elected to the Bar Council - Oct 2019
Sydney Chawatama FCIArb discusses International Arbitration at the 21st Commonwealth Law Conference 2019 - Apr 2019
Sydney Chawatama joins Sport Resolutions Pro Bono Panel - Feb 2019
Sydney Chawatama to participate in ‘It’s ok to talk about race! Experiences to help unlock BAME legal talent’ panel discussion - May 2018
Martin Forde QC and Sydney Chawatama instructed in the inquest into death of a woman after termination of pregnancy - Apr 2018
Sydney Chawatama is appointed to Co-Vice Chair of the Law Reform Committee - Dec 2017
Delighted to announce Sydney Chawatama is now a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Dec 2017
Sydney Chawatama elected to the Bar Council for 2017 - Oct 2016
Sydney Chawatama in a Court of Protection case on the capacity of a woman with mental health problems to have an abortion - May 2013
Philip Havers QC and Sydney Chawatama win in Court of Appeal on a matter of fact in breast cancer claim - Mar 2012
Neil Garnham QC and Sydney Chawatama win appeal on mental health patients unlawful detention - Jan 2011
Sydney Chawatama defends claim by mental patient released under Habeas Corpus - Jun 2010