Sydney Chawatama joins Sport Resolutions Pro Bono Panel - Feb 2019
Sydney accepts instructions on behalf of claimants and defendants involving all aspects of advisory work and litigation. He has extensive experience of claims arising from across a wide spectrum of medical practice including brain and spinal injuries, GP, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Orthopaedics, ENT, Oncology, Nursing & Midwifery, Vascular surgery, Cardiology, Neurosurgery, Neurology, Dentistry, Respiratory medicine, Infectious diseases, Ophthalmology and Psychiatry.
- RE S: Cauda equina. Paraplegia. Causation denied. Settlement £1.2m. November 2018. For Claimant.
- Re R: Claim for alleged negligent psychiatric treatment and human rights claim for alleged wrongful seclusion. LAA issued a ‘show cause’ notice and during funding embargo claim automatically struck out for failure to pay trial fee pursuant to CPR 3.7A1 (7). Had been listed for 6 days in the High Court. November 2018. For Defendant.
- Re PXD: Stroke as a result of prostatectomy in which ureter was damaged. Brain injury and hemiparesis. Injury of utmost severity requiring a full package of care. Settlement at equivalent lump sum of £5.2m. June 2018.
- Re JC: Thyroidectomy resulting in dissection of recurrent laryngeal nerve. Permanent tracheostomy. Settled at mediation for £500,000. June 2018.
- Re O: Fertility treatment. Alleged perforation of the bowel during egg retrieval leading to unrecognised and untreated peritonitis and a temporary stoma. Global settlement £235,000. June 2018.
- Re T: Fatal accident claim. Delay in administering prophylactic anti-coagulant following revision knee replacement surgery. Settlement £115,000. May 2018
- Re M: Alleged failure of anterior lumber interbody fusion, failure to perform a decompression and misplacement of pedicle screw. May 2018.
- Re K: Alleged failure to detect in time fractured sternal wires and wound dehiscence following cardiothoracic surgery involving coronary artery bypass. March 2018.
- Re P: Spinal injury claim arising out of an alleged failure to use a non-styletted lumbar puncture needle on a 15 month old infant in 1982. In 2012 the Claimant was diagnosed with an epidermoid cyst at L2/3 level which, he alleged, was causally related to the lumbar puncture he underwent in 1982. Each party instructed four experts on breach and causation. March 2018.
- Re F. Khan: Fatal accident claim arising out of the death of a mother of two young children. She died following a third trimester miscarriage and attempt medical evacuation following a third trimester miscarriage and attempt medical evacuation following a third trimester miscarriage and attempt medical evacuation following a third trimester miscarriage and an attempted medical evacuation resulting in sepsis. Settlement £500,000. February 2018.
- Re R: Severe drop foot arising from damage to peroneal nerve following hip arthroscopy. High Court trial March 2017. Acted for claimant.
- Re Axx: Catastrophic injury – deafness and behavioral changes- arising out of delay in diagnosis of meningitis infection soon after birth. Multi-million pound settlement including periodical payments. One of the first to settle after change in discount rate. Junior on behalf of Defendant Trust. June 2017.
- Re S: Delayed diagnosis of cervical myelopathy. Settlement July 2017. For claimant.
- Re A: Obstetric claim. Unrecognised severe intra-abdominal bleed following caesarean section. Psychological injury. Settled August 2017. Acted for claimant.
- Re FR: Dental claim arising out of removal of a bridge, resulting in alleged soft tissue injuries to neck and face. Settlement October 2017. For claimant.
- Re O: Hearing loss claim arising out of ear surgery. Liability succeeded on preliminary trial of consent after Montgomery. Settled November 2017. For claimant.
- Re B: Bariatric surgery claim alleging negligent stapling resulting in obstruction and consequent further 3 repair operations. Settled November 2017. For claimant.
- Re K (2017): delayed diagnosis of slipped upper femoral epiphysis in child. Settlement £75,000.
- Re B (2016): missed diagnosis of rapidly expanding aneurysm after recent subarachnoid haemorrhage. Optic nerve palsy and psychiatric injury. Settlement £420,000.
- Re P (2016): toe operation resulting in chronic regional pain syndrome. Settlement £300,000.
- Re C (2016): misreported cervical smear. Stage 2b cervical cancer. Loss of fertility. Settlement £150,000.
- Re B (2016): complete transection of ulnar nerve during fixation of elbow fracture. Settlement £95,000.
- Re E (2016): FAA claim. Failure to diagnose lung connective tissue disease leading to death. Settlement £385,000 with Knauer v MoJ uplift.
- Re B (2016): trial at Liverpool CC. Alleged missed diagnosis of gastric ulcer.
- Re E (2015): delayed diagnosis of tongue cancer. Settlement £45,000.
- Re B (2015): delayed diagnosis of vertebral compression fracture requiring ballon kyphoplasty. Settlement £68,000.
- Re M (2015): delayed diagnosis of malaria resulting in severe falciparum malaria, liver and kidney failure and amputation of toes. Settlement £115,000.
- Re KL (2015): undiagnosed femoral hernia. Acted for defendant. Settlement £225,000.
- Re KD (2015): HHJ Coe QC, Sheffield CC. Successful defence after trial of claim arising out of retrieval of detached needle during laparoscopic gastric bypass operation.
- Re LP (2015): pedestrian child victim of RTA. Infected leg not recognised resulting in below knee amputation. Settlement £1.7 million.
- Re LP (2014): stroke claim against GP. Settlement £138,000.
- Re AH (2014): fatal accidents / secondary victim claim against GP. Leg infection resulting in septicaemia and death. Settlement £1 million.
- Re DJ (2014): settlement £375,000.
- Re PD (2013): settlement £521,500.
- Re B (2012): defendant’s appeal from HHJ Gosnell Court of Appeal.
- Re B (2011): missed diagnosis of breast cancer. Trial at Leeds County Court before HHJ Gosnell.
- Re TTM: landmark judicial review in the Court of Appeal related to detention in mental health cases.
Sydney Chawatama to participate in ‘It’s ok to talk about race! Experiences to help unlock BAME legal talent’ panel discussion - May 2018
Martin Forde QC and Sydney Chawatama instructed in the inquest into death of a woman after termination of pregnancy - Apr 2018
Sydney Chawatama is appointed to Co-Vice Chair of the Law Reform Committee - Dec 2017
Delighted to announce Sydney Chawatama is now a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Dec 2017
Sydney Chawatama elected to the Bar Council for 2017 - Oct 2016
Sydney Chawatama in a Court of Protection case on the capacity of a woman with mental health problems to have an abortion - May 2013
Philip Havers QC and Sydney Chawatama win in Court of Appeal on a matter of fact in breast cancer claim - Mar 2012
Neil Garnham QC and Sydney Chawatama win appeal on mental health patients unlawful detention - Jan 2011
Sydney Chawatama defends claim by mental patient released under Habeas Corpus - Jun 2010