Shaheen Rahman QC joins panellists at HRLA’s Review of the Year 2019 - Dec 2019
Shaheen has appeared in many significant public law challenges with a focus on Prisons, Healthcare, Public Consultations and Religious Discrimination.
‘A special advocate of choice.’ (Legal 500 2017)
“Very thorough and clear about the client’s responsibilities and liabilities. Informative and clear advice.” (Chambers & Partners 2017)
“She is bold, aggressive and intellectual – she gets great results.” (Chambers & Partners 2016)
“Handles a range of public law matters arising from national security and healthcare judicial reviews. She often acts in closed material proceedings and is commended for the results she obtains as a special advocate.” (Legal 500 2014)
- Belhaj & Boudchar v Jack Straw & Others  EWHC 1861: Special Advocate in ongoing claim alleging complicity in extraordinary rendition and torture.
- R (Black) v SSJ ;  3 WLR 28,  1 WLR 2963: For Claimant in case considering whether Crown Immunity applies to the smoking ban introduced by the Health Act 2006.
- SSHD v LG, IM & JM  EWHC 1529: Special Advocate in challenges to TPIMs by three alleged members of the proscribed organisation ALM.
- Bushell v MMHSCT : For the Trust in challenge to a decision to withdraw services after a public consultation exercise with arguments based on the public sector equality duty.
- R (MR) v SSHD  EWHC 1622: Special Advocate in challenge to the removal of the Claimant’s passport under the Royal Prerogative on grounds of suspected terrorist activity.
- M2 v SSHD  SC/124/2014: Special Advocate in deportation case before the Special Immigration Appeals Commission.
- CF v SSHD  1 WLR 4240: Special Advocate in Control Order/TPIM case with allegations of abuse of process. SSHD granted permission to appeal to the Supreme Court.
- R (Serdar Mohammed) v MOD  1 WLR 1071: Special Advocate in proceedings seeking extended moratorium on transfer of UK detainees to Afghan authorities in view of risk of torture.
- R (Hussain) v MOJ  EWHC 4706: For Muslim prisoner in human rights challenge of refusal to provide methadone outside daylight hours during Ramadan.
- B2 v SSHD  EWCA Civ 616: Special Advocate in deportation case concerning statelessness.
- AT v SSHD  EWCA Civ 42: Special Advocate in Control Order case remitted due to insufficient disclosure under Article 6.
- AM v SSHD  EWCA Civ 710: Special Advocate in long running Control Order case involving consideration of standard of disclosure and what constitutes fresh TRA.
- R (Bhutta) v HM Treasury  EWHC 1789: Special Advocate in Asset Freeze case with consideration of standard of disclosure.
- SSHD v Al Saadi  EWHC 3390: Special Advocate in Control Order case where the order was revoked.
- R (Brooks) v SSJ & Ors  1 Prison LR 266: For Claimant in challenge concerning failure to make arrangements for prisoners to attend hospital appointments.
- SSHD v AF, AM, AN &AE  2 WLR: Special Advocate in Control Order case where the Court of Appeal considered whether a minimum level of disclosure was required.
- R (Ullah) v Special Adjudicator  UKHL 26: For Intervener, Justice, in case concerning extraterritorial effect of Convention rights.
- R (Hopley) v Liverpool Health Authority NHSLA & DOH  Lloyd’s Rep Med 494: For the Defendant in case where it was determined that a health authority’s decision not to pay damages in periodical payments was not amenable to judicial review.
The 1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Autumn 2019 – Issue 3 - Dec 2019
Angus McCullough QC and Shaheen Rahman QC have tackled the question: ‘Disclosure in Closed Material Proceedings: What Has to Be Revealed?’ - Nov 2019
The 1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Summer 2019 – Issue 2 - Aug 2019
Shaheen Rahman QC authors chapter in the UK Supreme Court Yearbook Volume 9 - Jul 2019
The 1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Spring 2019 – Issue 1 - May 2019
Shaheen Rahman QC invited to speak at the JUSTICE Human Rights Law Conference 2018 - Oct 2018
Shaheen Rahman QC to speak at Hill Dickinson’s Medical Lecture Series 2018 with Prof. Derek Tuffnell and ENS Representatives - Oct 2018
Philip Havers QC and Shaheen Rahman QC appear in Supreme Court prisoner smoking ban appeal - Nov 2017
Law Pod UK Ep. 13: Tackling radicalisation through the civil courts - Oct 2017
Shaheen Rahman QC and Matthew Hill speak at the annual Justice Human Rights Law Conference - Oct 2017
1COR Public Law Seminar – Life, Liberty & Security - Sep 2017
The Times reports on Chambers extremism cases - Jun 2017
Martin Downs in new Radicalisation Judgment about protecting older children and vulnerable adults - Apr 2017
Marina Wheeler QC in Public Interest Immunity & Radicalisation case - Apr 2017
Oliver Sanders QC and Shaheen Rahman QC take Silk - Feb 2017
New QC Appointments Announced Oliver Sanders and Shaheen Rahman - Jan 2017
Philip Havers QC and Shaheen Rahman to appear in the Supreme Court in prisoner smoking case - Oct 2016
Shaheen Rahman acts for family in pill death case - Jul 2016
Control order upheld following rehearing - May 2016
Philip Havers QC and Shaheen Rahman in Prison Smoking Appeal - Feb 2016
Shaheen Rahman acting for the mother of woman hit by a train along with her 3 year old son - Apr 2015
Shaheen Rahman wins ruling on smoking in jail and the status of Crown premises - Mar 2015
Shaheen Rahman appeared as Special Advocate for a Claimant subject to a TPIM - Apr 2013
Members of 1COR acted in the Mid-Staffordshire NHS Trust Public Inquiry - Feb 2013