The 1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Autumn 2019 – Issue 3 - Dec 2019
Shaheen has appeared in a number of significant human rights challenges in the context of her prisoner rights and Special Advocate work. She also acts in HRA claims arising from deaths in custody and detention.
“Shaheen is incredibly thorough and rigorous.” “She really inspires confidence in clients in the most difficult of circumstances.” (Chambers & Partners 2018)
‘Clear and concise in advice. Judicial review is clearly an area of knowledge and expertise.’ (Legal 500 2017)
“She was really impressive on her feet.” (Chambers & Partners 2017)
“A strong human rights advocate with specific specialist knowledge of prisoners’ rights, specifically in relation to their right to religious freedom and healthcare. She is often instructed as a Special Advocate in highly complex and confidential cases.” (Chambers & Partners 2016)
“She is incredibly efficient and a fighter – when the chips are down she really sticks up for her client.” (Chambers & Partners 2015)
“Incredibly hardworking and a real asset in any case.” (Legal 500 2014)
- Belhaj & Boudchar v Jack Straw & others  EWHC 1861: Special Advocate in ongoing claim alleging complicity in extraordinary rendition and torture.
- AA v MOJ : For prisoner alleging discrimination in the arrangements made for Muslim prisoners, in particular during Ramadan.
- DO v An NHSFT : Acting for the mother of a woman discharged from mental health services who took her own life and that of her young son. HRA claim settled.
- R (Serdar Mohammed) v MOD  1 WLR 1071: Special Advocate in proceedings seeking extended moratorium on transfer of UK detainees to Afghan authorities in view of risk of torture.
- AP v An NHSFT : Acting for family of a patient who took his own life in a mental health unit. HRA and estate claim settled.)
- BP v An NHSFT : Acting for the partner of a woman who absconded from an acute mental health unit and took her own life. HRA, estate and dependency claims settled.
- R (Hussain) v MOJ  EWHC 4706: For Muslim prisoner in human rights challenge to decision to provide methadone outside daylight hours during Ramadan. Case settled following grant of permission.
- AT v SSHD  EWCA Civ 42: Special Advocate in Control Order case remitted due to insufficient disclosure under Article 6.
- AM v SSHD  EWCA Civ 710: Special Advocate in long running Control Order case involving consideration of standard of disclosure and what constitutes fresh TRA.
- R (Bhutta) v HM Treasury  EWHC 1789: Special Advocate in Asset Freeze case with consideration of standard of disclosure.
- SSHD v AF, AM, AN &AE  2 WLR: Special Advocate in Control Order case where the Court of Appeal considered whether a minimum level of disclosure was required.
- R (Ullah) v Special Adjudicator  UKHL 26: For Intervener, Justice, in case concerning extraterritorial effect of Convention rights.
Angus McCullough QC and Shaheen Rahman QC have tackled the question: ‘Disclosure in Closed Material Proceedings: What Has to Be Revealed?’ - Nov 2019
The 1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Summer 2019 – Issue 2 - Aug 2019
Shaheen Rahman QC authors chapter in the UK Supreme Court Yearbook Volume 9 - Jul 2019
The 1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Spring 2019 – Issue 1 - May 2019
Shaheen Rahman QC invited to speak at the JUSTICE Human Rights Law Conference 2018 - Oct 2018
Shaheen Rahman QC to speak at Hill Dickinson’s Medical Lecture Series 2018 with Prof. Derek Tuffnell and ENS Representatives - Oct 2018
Philip Havers QC and Shaheen Rahman QC appear in Supreme Court prisoner smoking ban appeal - Nov 2017
Law Pod UK Ep. 13: Tackling radicalisation through the civil courts - Oct 2017
Shaheen Rahman QC and Matthew Hill speak at the annual Justice Human Rights Law Conference - Oct 2017
1COR Public Law Seminar – Life, Liberty & Security - Sep 2017
The Times reports on Chambers extremism cases - Jun 2017
Martin Downs in new Radicalisation Judgment about protecting older children and vulnerable adults - Apr 2017
Marina Wheeler QC in Public Interest Immunity & Radicalisation case - Apr 2017
Oliver Sanders QC and Shaheen Rahman QC take Silk - Feb 2017
New QC Appointments Announced Oliver Sanders and Shaheen Rahman - Jan 2017
Philip Havers QC and Shaheen Rahman to appear in the Supreme Court in prisoner smoking case - Oct 2016
Shaheen Rahman acts for family in pill death case - Jul 2016
Control order upheld following rehearing - May 2016
Philip Havers QC and Shaheen Rahman in Prison Smoking Appeal - Feb 2016
Shaheen Rahman acting for the mother of woman hit by a train along with her 3 year old son - Apr 2015
Shaheen Rahman wins ruling on smoking in jail and the status of Crown premises - Mar 2015
Shaheen Rahman appeared as Special Advocate for a Claimant subject to a TPIM - Apr 2013
Members of 1COR acted in the Mid-Staffordshire NHS Trust Public Inquiry - Feb 2013