The 1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Summer 2019 – Issue 2 - Aug 2019
Employment & Equality
Shaheen has acted for Claimants and Defendants in discrimination claims under the Equality Act and HRA and challenges invoking the public sector equality duty. She also represents healthcare professionals at internal disciplinary hearings and in MHPS proceedings with associated applications for injunctive relief.
- AA v MOJ : For prisoner alleging discrimination in the arrangements made for Muslim prisoners, in particular during Ramadan.
- DR O v UB NHSFT : Representing a colorectal surgeon at MHPS proceedings where it was alleged that his surgical complication rate was unacceptably high and that he had lost the trust of his colleagues.
- Bushell v MMHSCT Trust : For the Trust in challenge to a decision to withdraw services after a public consultation exercise with arguments based on the public sector equality duty.
- Dr C v YTH NHSFT : Representing a doctor at a disciplinary hearing who had taken hospital drugs for personal use.
- R (Hussain) v MOJ  EWHC 4706: For Muslim prisoner in human rights challenge of decision to refusal to provide methadone outside daylight hours during Ramadan. Settled after grant of permission.
- Adedeji v A GP practice : Advised a GP practice in relation to claim by a patient alleging race discrimination in the provision of services, case struck out.
- MH v M&N Dental Practice : For HIV patient alleging discrimination in provision of services by his dental practice, case settled.
- R (Curran) v SSHD : Acting for prisoner in claim arising from refusal to provide appropriate hearing aid, case settled.
- R (Treacher) v SSHD : Judicial review on behalf of disabled prisoner with related claims for damages under the Human Rights Act and Disability Discrimination Act. Case settled.
- R(Watson) v SSHD : Judicial review challenging prison’s failure to act in accordance with gender dysphoria policy, settled after grant of permission.
Shaheen Rahman QC authors chapter in the UK Supreme Court Yearbook Volume 9 - Jul 2019
The 1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Spring 2019 – Issue 1 - May 2019
Shaheen Rahman QC invited to speak at the JUSTICE Human Rights Law Conference 2018 - Oct 2018
Shaheen Rahman QC to speak at Hill Dickinson’s Medical Lecture Series 2018 with Prof. Derek Tuffnell and ENS Representatives - Oct 2018
Philip Havers QC and Shaheen Rahman QC appear in Supreme Court prisoner smoking ban appeal - Nov 2017
Law Pod UK Ep. 13: Tackling radicalisation through the civil courts - Oct 2017
Shaheen Rahman QC and Matthew Hill speak at the annual Justice Human Rights Law Conference - Oct 2017
1COR Public Law Seminar – Life, Liberty & Security - Sep 2017
The Times reports on Chambers extremism cases - Jun 2017
Martin Downs in new Radicalisation Judgment about protecting older children and vulnerable adults - Apr 2017
Marina Wheeler QC in Public Interest Immunity & Radicalisation case - Apr 2017
Oliver Sanders QC and Shaheen Rahman QC take Silk - Feb 2017
New QC Appointments Announced Oliver Sanders and Shaheen Rahman - Jan 2017
Philip Havers QC and Shaheen Rahman to appear in the Supreme Court in prisoner smoking case - Oct 2016
Shaheen Rahman acts for family in pill death case - Jul 2016
Control order upheld following rehearing - May 2016
Philip Havers QC and Shaheen Rahman in Prison Smoking Appeal - Feb 2016
Shaheen Rahman acting for the mother of woman hit by a train along with her 3 year old son - Apr 2015
Shaheen Rahman wins ruling on smoking in jail and the status of Crown premises - Mar 2015
Shaheen Rahman appeared as Special Advocate for a Claimant subject to a TPIM - Apr 2013
Members of 1COR acted in the Mid-Staffordshire NHS Trust Public Inquiry - Feb 2013