Robert Wastell successfully acts for husband denied access to his brain injured wife for 2 years - Jan 2019
Robert regularly acts in high value clinical negligence claims for both Claimants and Defendants from coroner’s inquest / pre-action stages to conclusion at settlement or trial.
- OC v MOD & St George’s University Hospital Trust (2017): Represented the Ministry of Defence in this severe spinal injuries case in which the treating NHS Trust were successfully brought in as an Additional Defendant under CPR Part 20. Liability has been compromised and the matter proceeds by way of quantum only.
- Lariam Litigation (2016-present): Representing the Ministry of Defence in litigation arising out of the use of the malaria prophylaxis mefloquine (Lariam) by the Armed Forces and its alleged severe psychiatric side-effects.
- JNW (A Child) v Croydon Health Services NHS Trust (2016): Represented a child claimant with cerebral palsy in this multi-million pound settlement concerning a severe brain injury sustained during labour.
- Anon v SoS for Health (2016): Represented the claimant in this brain injury claim concerning an alleged amniocentesis needle stick injury sustained in utero.
- Re Emily Titterington (2015): Inquest into death of 16 year old who died from a constipation induced heart-attack who was alleged to have a phobia of using the toilet, represented the family’s GP.
- DW v RM & Anr (2015): Acted for Claimant with severe brain injury in claim arising out of road traffic accident and subsequent treatment at neurosurgery unit.
- M v MOD (2014): Acted for Ministry of Defence in claim by ex-serviceman for successive failures to diagnose and treat PTSD following return from active duty leading to profound life-long consequences.
- J v Kings College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust & 2 Ors (2012): Represented mother in wrongful birth claim arising out of wrongly reported genetic testing during pregnancy.
- Group Dental Action (2011-2013): Claims by a group of current and former prisoners against the Ministry of Justice and a local PCT for alleged dental negligence and human rights abuses.
Inquest into the death of Alexander Perepilichnyy concludes - Dec 2018
Robert Wastell successfully defends senior gynaecologist from allegations of sexual misconduct - Sep 2018
Robert Wastell acted in an Inquest into the death of Caixia Sun - Feb 2018
Peter Skelton QC and Robert Wastell, Leanne Woods instructed as counsel for the inquest into Mr Perepilichnyy’s death - Apr 2017
Four Members of 1COR involved in the Public Inquiry into the death of Alexander Litvinenko - Jan 2015
Neil Garnham QC, Neil Sheldon and Robert Wastell are representing the Home Secretary in the Public Inquiry into the death of Alexander Litvinenko - Aug 2014
Robert Wastell junior counsel in the Supreme Court Case of Bank Mellat v HM Treasury - Mar 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2013 - Feb 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2012 - Feb 2012
Angus McCullough QC special advocate for Russian cleared of spying in deportation case - Nov 2011