Professional Discipline & Regulation
Richard generally defends healthcare and veterinary professionals before disciplinary tribunals, but has also prosecuted in the First-Tier Tribunal in performers list appeals. Additionally experienced in hearings involving Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service, General Dental Council, General Chiropractic Council, Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and various sporting bodies.
He was nominated for ‘Professional Discipline Silk of the Year’ at the 2018 Chambers Bar Awards.
- RCVS v X (2019): successfully defended a veterinary surgeon who was accused of dishonesty and of having been complicit in the taking of new-born French Bulldog puppies by two staff in the practice where he was working.
- GMC v Ryan (2017) MPTS: defended the young doctor who had taken the temperature of Ebola nurse Pauline Cafferkey at Heathrow after their return from Sierra Leone.
- RCVS v NH (2016) (disciplinary Committee of the RCVS: Defended experienced veterinary surgeon against serious surgical allegations.
- Parchure v General Medical Council  EWHC 2850 (Admin): represented Consultant Cardiologist on appeal after long hearing before MPTS.
- GMC v SD (2012-2013): represented Consultant Breast Surgeon in 13 week GMC hearing, at the end of which no disputed charges were found proved.
- R (Doshi) v Southend-On-Sea Primary Care Trust  EWHC 1361 (Admin): standard of proof to be applied when quasi-criminal allegations before FHSAA (as was). Acted for PCT.
Brain damaged child receives over £11m in compensation in clinical negligence claim - May 2020
Members of chambers participate in Inner Temple outreach day - Nov 2019
Silks at 1COR on both sides in £30m Birth Injury Settlement - Oct 2019
1COR Brighton’s annual Ghulam Hussain Volleyball Cup is here! - Jul 2019
Looking forward to the AvMA Clinical Negligence Conference 2019 - Jun 2019
1COR walk in the LLST’s London Legal Walk 2019 - Jun 2019
Richard Booth QC successfully defends vet accused of dishonesty - May 2019
Richard Booth QC to chair AvMA’s Medico-Legal Issues in Accident & Emergency Care Conference - Mar 2019
1COR named ‘Personal Injury/Clinical Negligence Set of the Year’ in the Legal 500 UK Awards 2019 - Feb 2019
Richard Booth QC and Robert Kellar to speak at MBL Clinical Negligence 2018 Conference - Nov 2018
The End, the Beginning of the End or the End of the Beginning: Erasure, Remediation and Rights of Appeal in Disciplinary Proceedings - Nov 2018
The Liability of Private Hospitals & Clinics: Lessons from the Paterson Litigation - Nov 2018
Richard Booth QC wins damages for psychiatric injury for mother of child with cerebral palsy - Nov 2018
Delighted to announce that Richard Booth QC and Philip Havers QC are nominated for Chambers Bar Awards - Oct 2018
Brain damaged child receives over £18m in compensation in clinical negligence claim - Oct 2018
Chambers is delighted to announce that Richard Booth QC will take over from Philip Havers QC as Head of Chambers - Oct 2018
Capsticks Seminar ‘Resolving obstetric claims: medicine and the law’ with Richard Booth QC - Sep 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 39: Employment/Disciplinary injunction success for psychiatrist - Jul 2018
Richard Booth QC wins Montgomery claim for the defendant - Apr 2018
Richard Booth QC defends Ebola crisis volunteer - Mar 2017
Blanket doping bans and human rights. Does a blanket ban on Russian athletes competing at Rio 2016 contravene human rights law? - Jan 2017
Richard Booth QC successfully defends stroke and secondary victim claims - Aug 2015
Richard Booth QC in inquest where expert states that the death of a child could have been avoided - Jun 2015
1COR quiz team wins the Leigh Day / Silverlining Brain Injury Charity Quiz night - Feb 2015
Richard Booth QC successfully defends GPs against allegations of negligence - Jan 2015
Richard Booth QC defends Consultant Breast Surgeon in GMC - May 2013
Richard Booth succeeds in application for Silk - Feb 2013