Richard Booth KC successful in horseracing case - Jan 2024
Richard is instructed in a wide variety of sports injury claims, including those of maximum severity, as well as in disciplinary and regulatory proceedings (including on behalf of the RFU). He has particular recent experience of claims relating to concussions and brain injury.
He has spoken at numerous conferences in relation to head injury claims in sport.
Richard has a particular expertise in athlete welfare, especially at the interface between sport and medicine.
In addition, he has experience of selection disputes (including for a Paralympic squad).
Sports Injury Claims
- Q v Z [ongoing]: Richard represents a Premier League football club and its player in respect of a claim for damages brought by an opposing player following an allegedly negligent tackle on the field of play.
- G v N [ongoing]: Richard represents a Super League Rugby League club in respect of a substantial claim for damages brought by one of its former players, alleging negligent mismanagement of concussion injury.
- SH v X NHS Trust & Y RFC [2021-23]: represented NHS Trust in respect of claim relating to alleged negligent mismanagement in A&E of concussion injury suffered by young amateur rugby union player who went on to collapse on the pitch in a match, suffering very severe brain injury. Claim resolved following ADR.
- H v B & Others [2020-21]: represented Premiership rugby union Club doctor in respect of substantial claim for damages brought by Matt Hankin, former Premiership rugby union player, alleging negligent mismanagement of concussion injury sustained on pre-season “teambuilding” tour. Claim resolved at confidential mediation. (Reported on issues of costs only, in which proceedings Richard had no involvement – Hankin v Barrington & Others  EWHC B1 (Costs)).
- W v J & Others : advised that successful application be made to strike out mismanagement of concussion claim brought by Cillian Willis, former Premiership rugby union player against Club doctor.
- T v X Rugby Club & Others : secured substantial settlement for rugby international in whom an arm fracture had been missed and who had played on with the fracture for 15 months.
- Six Nations Rugby Ltd v Dr Rayner : instructed by Angus Hetherington, Legal Counsel in Discipline at the Rugby Football Union, Richard represented Dr Nigel Rayner, England U20 Team Doctor, before the Six Nations Disciplinary Committee on 21st April 2022.
- RFU v James Taylor : Richard was instructed by Angus Hetherington and David Barnes of the Rugby Football Union to present the case against James Taylor at a hearing on 30th November before an RFU Disciplinary Panel. The case arose out of alleged verbal and physical abuse of a match referee aged under 16, raising safeguarding concerns. James Taylor was suspended from attending any rugby match in any capacity for 30 weeks
- RFU v Joe Marler : Richard was instructed by Angus Hetherington and David Barnes of the Rugby Football Union to present the case against Joe Marler of Harlequins and England at a hearing on 30thDecember before an RFU Disciplinary Panel. The case arose out of comments made by Joe Marler to Jake Heenan of Bristol Bears during a Gallagher Premiership rugby union match on Tuesday 27th Joe Marler was charged with conduct prejudicial to the interest of the Union and the Game.
Richard Booth KC and Owain Thomas KC to speak at Clinical Negligence Conference - Nov 2023
Richard Booth KC to speak at the Clinical Negligence 2023 Conference - Apr 2023
Richard Booth KC instructed in Joe Marler rugby disciplinary hearing - Dec 2022
Richard Booth QC to speak at the Personal Injury Update 2022 – An Online Half Day Conference - Jun 2022
Richard Booth QC in Six Nations rugby case - May 2022
Pupillage Application Tips and Life at the Bar with 1COR - Dec 2021
Legal Training Clinical Negligence Half Day Online Conference for the Lee Spark NF Foundation - Sep 2021
Clinical Negligence Half Day Online Conference for the Lee Spark NF Foundation - Sep 2020
£37 million awarded to young boy left brain damaged at birth - Jul 2020
Brain damaged child receives over £11m in compensation in clinical negligence claim - May 2020
Members of chambers participate in Inner Temple outreach day - Nov 2019
Silks at 1COR on both sides in £30m Birth Injury Settlement - Oct 2019
1COR Brighton’s annual Ghulam Hussain Volleyball Cup is here! - Jul 2019
Looking forward to the AvMA Clinical Negligence Conference 2019 - Jun 2019
1COR walk in the LLST’s London Legal Walk 2019 - Jun 2019
Richard Booth QC successfully defends vet accused of dishonesty - May 2019
Richard Booth QC to chair AvMA’s Medico-Legal Issues in Accident & Emergency Care Conference - Mar 2019
1COR named ‘Personal Injury/Clinical Negligence Set of the Year’ in the Legal 500 UK Awards 2019 - Feb 2019
Richard Booth QC and Robert Kellar to speak at MBL Clinical Negligence 2018 Conference - Nov 2018
The End, the Beginning of the End or the End of the Beginning: Erasure, Remediation and Rights of Appeal in Disciplinary Proceedings - Nov 2018
The Liability of Private Hospitals & Clinics: Lessons from the Paterson Litigation - Nov 2018
Richard Booth QC wins damages for psychiatric injury for mother of child with cerebral palsy - Nov 2018
Delighted to announce that Richard Booth QC and Philip Havers QC are nominated for Chambers Bar Awards - Oct 2018
Brain damaged child receives over £18m in compensation in clinical negligence claim - Oct 2018
Chambers is delighted to announce that Richard Booth QC will take over from Philip Havers QC as Head of Chambers - Oct 2018
Capsticks Seminar ‘Resolving obstetric claims: medicine and the law’ with Richard Booth QC - Sep 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 39: Employment/Disciplinary injunction success for psychiatrist - Jul 2018
Richard Booth QC wins Montgomery claim for the defendant - Apr 2018
Richard Booth QC defends Ebola crisis volunteer - Mar 2017
Blanket doping bans and human rights. Does a blanket ban on Russian athletes competing at Rio 2016 contravene human rights law? - Jan 2017
Richard Booth QC successfully defends stroke and secondary victim claims - Aug 2015
Richard Booth QC in inquest where expert states that the death of a child could have been avoided - Jun 2015
1COR quiz team wins the Leigh Day / Silverlining Brain Injury Charity Quiz night - Feb 2015
Richard Booth QC successfully defends GPs against allegations of negligence - Jan 2015
Richard Booth QC defends Consultant Breast Surgeon in GMC - May 2013
Richard Booth succeeds in application for Silk - Feb 2013