Rajkiran Barhey appears for family in inquest concerning DVT death - Aug 2023
Kiran has significant inquest experience and accepts instructions on behalf of families, Trusts, GPs and government bodies. She has experience of inquests which engage Article 2 and/or jury inquests as well as inquests concerning prisons, mental health hospitals, and medical treatment.
Kiran is ranked in Chambers and Partners 2023 as Up and Coming in Inquests and Public Inquiries: ‘She is a junior to watch. Very clever and a good advocate, with mature judgement.’
Listen to Kiran discuss the developments in inquest law that practitioners will need to know about on episode 175 of our podcast, Law Pod UK.
- Re: TS (2022): Represented a private healthcare company which provided healthcare services in a prison in a 2-week Article 2 jury inquest following the death of a prisoner from HIV/AIDs-related complications. No criticisms were made of the company.
- Re: CR (2022): Represented family in a 4-day inquest concerning the death of a young man with schizophrenia by suicide. The Coroner concluded that the clinician should have offered CR a trial of the anti-psychotic clozapine and that the failure to do so contributed to the death.
- Re: AS (2022): Represented family in a 2-day inquest concerning the sudden death of a man following surgery for bowel cancer. The clinicians presumed the death had a cardiac cause but the post-mortem concluded it was caused by peritonitis. Following submissions from the family, the Coroner instructed a colorectal expert who identified a number of clinical failings and the Coroner concluded that the death could have been avoided. The claim is ongoing.
- Re: W (2021): Represented family in a 7-day Article 2 jury inquest concerning significant clinical failings in treatment of a detained man with a spinal injury which concluded with a finding of neglect. Kiran also acted in the claim after the inquest and secured a settlement for the family.
- Re: GS (2021): Represented family in a 1-week Article 2 jury inquest concerning the death of an informal patient whilst on home leave from a mental health hospital. The jury made criticisms of Social Services in their conclusion. The Trust made admissions of failures in care prior to the inquest.
- Re: ER (2021): Represented family in an inquest into a neonatal death following induction. The Coroner concluded that the mother should have been offered a C-section earlier in the pregnancy and that she would have had a C-section and the death would have been avoided.
Rajkiran Barhey and Lucy McCann represent Isleworth Society Pro Bono in Planning Inquiry - Aug 2023
Rajkiran Barhey is led in Court of Appeal win for SSHD - Jul 2023
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Winter 2022 – Issue 12 – May 2023 - May 2023
QMLR is looking for a part time Legal Research and Editorial Assistant - Apr 2023
Law Pod UK Ep. 175: Essential Inquest Law Update - Dec 2022
Rajkiran Barhey acts for family in mental health inquest - Dec 2022
Rajkiran Barhey represents the family of a 21-year-old who collapsed and died in a PureGym at an inquest into his death - Oct 2022
Congratulations to our four members appointed to the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Aug 2022
A New Bill of Rights? The Bill of Rights Bill Explained Webinar - Jul 2022
Rajkiran Barhey secures client significant award in CICA appeal - May 2022
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Summer/Autumn 2021 – Issue 10 - Jan 2022
Rajkiran Barhey represents family in Article 2 jury inquest - Dec 2021
Rajkiran Barhey acts for family in neonatal death inquest - Nov 2021
Rajkiran Barhey acts for family in neglect inquest - Sep 2021
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Spring 2021 – Issue 9 - Jul 2021
Rajkiran Barhey appears at Grenfell Tower Inquiry hearings - Jul 2021
Find out more about the AvMA Pro Bono Service - Jul 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 146: 5 Key Medical Law Updates - Jun 2021
Healthcare Inquests & Covid-19 – Where Are We Now? - May 2021
How can I search for an individual QMLR article? Using our new Archive website! - Apr 2021
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Winter 2020/21 – Issue 8 - Apr 2021
Jo Moore, Rajkiran Barhey and Thomas Beamont cover Witness Evidence at APIL Procedure Special Interest Group - Feb 2021
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Autumn 2020 – Issue 7 - Feb 2021
Rajkiran Barhey summarises recent inquest into the death of Jonnie Meek in AvMA Newsletter - Dec 2020
Tonight’s the night for the Bar Pro Bono Awards - Nov 2020
Congratulations to our 5 juniors nominated for Advocate’s Young Pro Bono Barrister of the Year Award - Oct 2020
London Legal Support Trust x10 Challenge - Oct 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Summer 2020 – Issue 6 - Sep 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – 2020 – Special Issue – Part 3 - Jul 2020
ARDL Webinar: An Inquiry for Inquiry’s Sake? - Jul 2020
Impact of Covid-19 on Healthcare Webinar - May 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Spring 2020 – Issue 5 - May 2020
Coronavirus lawsuits across Europe, UK and USA in Wired UK - May 2020
LawPod UK Ep. 109: Medical Law Developments - Apr 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – 2020 – Special Issue – Part 2 - Apr 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review -2020 – Special Issue - Mar 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Winter 2019/20 – Issue 4 - Mar 2020
The 1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Autumn 2019 – Issue 3 - Dec 2019
Rajkiran Barhey succeeds for the claimant appellant in South Downs National Park planning inquiry - Nov 2019
Rajkiran Barhey instructed in South Downs National Park planning inquiry - Nov 2019
1COR hosts Sutton Trust students for an insight into life at the Bar - Oct 2019
The 1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Summer 2019 – Issue 2 - Aug 2019
The 1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Spring 2019 – Issue 1 - May 2019
National Park Land: Protected or Publicly Accessible? - May 2019
Law Pod UK Ep 77: Anonymity for Claimants, Anonymity for Doctors - Apr 2019
Six members of chambers participate in Inner Temple outreach events - Apr 2019
Rajkiran Barhey featured in the latest AvMA Newsletter - Dec 2018
The Liability of Private Hospitals & Clinics: Lessons from the Paterson Litigation - Nov 2018
Delighted to welcome Rajkiran Barhey as a tenant following the successful completion of her pupillage - Sep 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 20: Assessing discrimination in faith-based state schools - Dec 2017