Family of world famous opera singer brings clinical negligence claim - Oct 2021
Healthcare and Court of Protection
- Lesforis v Tolias (2019) (CA): Whether surgeon liable to his patient for administering medicine to her a few hours after surgery. Claim, and subsequent appeal, dismissed.
- JRM v King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (2019): £5m settlement of birth injury claim.
- Bostridge v Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust  EWCA Civ 79, CA: Whether mentally disordered patient unlawfully detained entitled to more than nominal damages where he would have been otherwise lawfully detained.
- Savage v South Essex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust  UKHL 74,  2WLR 115, HL: Whether mental hospital under Convention duty to prevent suicide of compulsorily detained mental patient who absconds and commits suicide.
- R (Axon) v Secretary of State for Health  2 WLR 1130: Whether parents entitled to be notified that their child is seeking medical advice and treatment, including abortion.
- R(H) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  2 AC 253, HL: Power of the MHRT to review its decision to discharge.
- R(N) v Dr M  1 WLR 562, CA: The test for the giving of treatment without consent to a patient detained under the Mental Health Act 1983.
- Miss B v a NHS Hospital Trust  1 FLR 1090 Butler-Sloss P: Withdrawal of artificial ventilation; right to die with dignity.
- A Health Authority v X  2 All ER 780, CA: Disclosure of confidential patient information by GPs to local health authority.
Court of Appeal dismisses appeal against a refusal to allow the withdrawal of an admission of liability - Jul 2021
Khan v Meadows: The Supreme Court Revisits Wrongful Birth - Jun 2021
Checks and Balances – Public law lessons from Covid-19 - Jun 2021
1COR and Philip Havers QC double award win at Chambers Bar Awards 2020 - Nov 2020
1COR and Philip Havers QC Shortlisted for Chambers Bar Awards 2020 - Oct 2020
Philip Havers QC instructed in legal challenge to lockdown - May 2020
Philip Havers QC and Hannah Noyce look at disclosure in PI Focus - May 2020
Three 1COR members appear in landmark case about disclosure of confidential medical information: ABC v St George’s Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust & ors - Nov 2019
1COR walk in the LLST’s London Legal Walk 2019 - Jun 2019
Protecting children from harm: CN & GN v Poole Borough Council - Jun 2019
Philip Havers QC, Emma-Louise Fenelon & Charlotte Gilmartin discuss Darnley v Croydon Health Services at Weightmans’ Healthcare Training Seminar - Apr 2019
Delighted to announce that Richard Booth QC and Philip Havers QC are nominated for Chambers Bar Awards - Oct 2018
The Supreme Court has handed down its judgment in this interesting and important claim in Darnley v Croydon Health Services - Oct 2018
Chambers is delighted to announce that Richard Booth QC will take over from Philip Havers QC as Head of Chambers - Oct 2018
1COR represent the Chief Justice of Trinidad & Tobago in an appeal to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council - Jul 2018
Seven 1COR members in landmark Supreme Court case - Jul 2018
Philip Havers QC and Richard Mumford successfully resist appeal in consent case - Jun 2018
Philip Havers QC appears today in the Supreme Court in Darnley v Croydon Health Services - Jun 2018
The Supreme Court has granted permission to the Appellants to appeal in the case of CN (1) & GN (2) v Poole Borough Council - Mar 2018
Philip Havers QC successful in interesting clinical negligence claim - Nov 2017
Philip Havers QC and Shaheen Rahman QC appear in Supreme Court prisoner smoking ban appeal - Nov 2017
Supreme Court will hear case involving the liability of the NHS for Hospital Receptionists - Oct 2017
Philip Havers QC and Adam Wagner successful in High Court Securitas Raid repatriation Judicial Review - Jul 2017
Philip Havers QC leads Adam Wagner in High Court Securitas Raid repatriation Judicial Review - Jul 2017
Clinical negligence and the duty to disclose: full house of 1COR members in high profile Court of Appeal case - Jun 2017
Philip Havers QC and Neil Sheldon succeed in Supreme Court on Art 8 Rights case - May 2017
Stephen Miller QC, Philip Havers QC and Owain Thomas QC in a significant clinical negligence judgment - Apr 2017
Philip Havers QC wins appeal about negligence of NHS Receptionist - Mar 2017
Philip Havers QC and Isabel Mcardle represent APIL in a judicial review brought by the Association of British Insurers - Jan 2017
Philip Havers QC and Shaheen Rahman to appear in the Supreme Court in prisoner smoking case - Oct 2016
1 Crown Office Row supports LGBT Freebar - Feb 2016
Philip Havers QC and Shaheen Rahman in Prison Smoking Appeal - Feb 2016
”Healthier Together” judicial review challenge dismissed - Jan 2016
1COR in Healthier Together judicial review - Dec 2015
Philip Havers QC, Rachel Marcus and Kate Beattie contribute to 5th edition of Clinical Negligence - Sep 2015
Philip Havers QC in another important right to die case challenging GMC guidance in such cases - Jul 2015
Four members of 1COR in duty of care case - Jun 2015
Supreme Court decision in the Right to Die case of Martin - Jun 2014
1COR appear on both sides of a case where a woman had to wait 100 minutes for an ambulance - Jun 2014
Philip Havers QC, Jeremy Hyam and Kate Beattie in landmark Court of Appeal victory for patient rights in DNACPR decisions - Jun 2014
Philip Havers QC, Jeremy Hyam and Kate Beattie appear in the Court of Appeal for the family of Janet Tracey - May 2014
Philip Havers QC represented the Ministry of Defence in the appeal by Marine Al Blackman who was convicted of murdering an injured Taliban insurgent - Apr 2014
Philip Havers QC in the Court of Appeal on the Right to Die case of Martin - May 2013
Philip Havers QC, Jeremy Hyam and Marina Wheeler in judicial review on consultation re closure of centres for paediatric cardiac surgery - Mar 2013
Philip Havers QC represents the LSB in a Supreme Court case regarding the legal privilege of accountants offering tax advice - Feb 2013
Members Appointed to the Legal Services Board External Panel of Legal Advisors - Dec 2012
Philip Havers QC and Sydney Chawatama win in Court of Appeal on a matter of fact in breast cancer claim - Mar 2012
Philip Havers QC in the Privy Council for the Governor of the Turks and Caicos and the Commissioner in corruption allegations - Mar 2012
Philip Havers QC in High Court decision on legality of professional advice in right to die case of Martin - Feb 2012
Philip Havers QC appointed specialist advisor to the Legal Services Board - Jan 2010