Owain Thomas QC gives insight into VAT and Property at the Bloomsbury Professional Property Tax Conference 2019 - Nov 2019
Owain has a broad clinical negligence practice. He acts for Claimants and Defendants in roughly equal proportions. He is instructed by the leading Claimant firms and by the NHSLA and all the defence organisations in substantial claims. He has expertise in high value catastrophic injury claims of all kinds.
He has wide experience acting for both Claimants and Defendants (NHS and MoD) in clinical negligence, particularly high value claims resulting from birth injury or other catastrophic injuries. He has experience of a wide variety public law challenges against Mental Health Trusts in the Administrative Court and emergency injunctions and best interests cases in the Family Division. He regularly appears for public authorities (hospitals, mental health Trusts and prisons) in complex inquests.
In addition, Owain is well versed in mental health litigation cases ranging from FTT hearings concerned with the continued necessity of detention, public law challenges to treatment decisions and detention from the FTT to the Court of Appeal, challenges to decisions to release patients and human rights challenges on procedural and substantive grounds.
- Sullivan v Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust 2017 EWHC 602 (QB): represented child’s estate in case involving infant with severe congenital heart disorder.
- Holmes v Kings College NHS Foundation Trust (2017): acted for the Claimant in case alleging misdiagnosis of spinal tumour.
- Brooks (2016): case concerning systemic allegations against hospital for death of elderly patient following routing surgery.
- Brack v Al Kemachki (2016): acted for Defendant GP in case alleging failure to diagnose post chemotherapy sepsis in cancer patient at a Walk-in centre.
- McLeod v Aneurin Bevan University Health Board (2016): acted for Defendant in case of failure to diagnose Maple Syrup Urine Disease leading to catastrophic neurological damage.
- DLH v West London Mental Health NHS Trust FTT (2014): 6 day FTT case concerning challenge to the legality of detention for treatment of patient with personality disorder.
- St Andrews Healthcare v DL (2014) UT: Judicial Review of FTT decision in relation to release of detained patient.
- R (ota Modaresi) v Secretary of State for Health and others  EWCA Civ 1359.
- R (ota B) v Dr SS (RMO), Dr G (SOAD) and Secretary of State for Health – Court of Appeal  1 WLR 810): representing the RMO in a five day judicial review hearing and subsequent appeal to the Court of Appeal.
Owain Thomas QC judges at the 2019 LSE-Featherstone Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Moot - Feb 2019
Owain Thomas QC in perhaps the last reference to the CJEU from a domestic court before Brexit - Feb 2019
The End, the Beginning of the End or the End of the Beginning: Erasure, Remediation and Rights of Appeal in Disciplinary Proceedings - Nov 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 47: Darnley v Croydon Health Services NHS Trust - Oct 2018
Owain Thomas QC and Isabel McArdle successful in Abuse of Law Appeal - Apr 2018
Owain Thomas QC and Matthew Hill applied for a court order allowing the OPCW to analyse blood samples taken from victims of the Salisbury nerve agent attack - Mar 2018
Congratulations to Owain Thomas QC, Jeremy Hyam QC and Amy Mannion on being appointed as Recorders - Mar 2018
Owain Thomas QC is appearing before the Grand Chamber of the CJEU in VAT case involving Volkswagen Financial Services - Feb 2018
Owain Thomas QC and Isabel McArdle appear in Court of Appeal in Abuse Case and Tax Avoidance - Feb 2018
Owain Thomas QC and Isabel McArdle successful in resisting permission in tax judicial review - Feb 2018
Owain Thomas QC acted for the UK government in a recent preliminary ruling in the Court of Justice of the European Union - Oct 2017
Owain Thomas QC wins VAT case for woodland charity - Sep 2017
Supreme Court refers questions to the CJEU in Volkswagen Financial Services Ltd v Commissioners for HMRC - Apr 2017
Stephen Miller QC, Philip Havers QC and Owain Thomas QC in a significant clinical negligence judgment - Apr 2017
Owain Thomas QC wins judicial review claim for Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority - Feb 2017
Owain Thomas QC wins Court of Appeal case on time limits for victims of criminal injuries - Dec 2016
Owain Thomas QC in the Court of Appeal in Criminal Injuries Compensation case - Dec 2016
Owain Thomas QC, leading Amy Mannion, Acted for HMRC against Volkswagen Financial Services - Nov 2016
Owain Thomas QC representing the United Kingdom Government in the CJEU - Jun 2016
Owain Thomas QC wins VAT case on diagnostic services for the NHS against HMRC - May 2016
Owain Thomas QC and Matthew Donmall win Supreme Court VAT case on third party consideration - May 2016
Owain Thomas QC and Matthew Donmall in the Supreme Court - Mar 2016
‘Six of the Best!’ 6 members appointed Queen’s Counsel - Jan 2016
Owain Thomas wins Court of Appeal customs law case - Dec 2015
Owain Thomas and Matthew Donmall obtain a reference by the Court of Appeal to the CJEU in VAT case - Nov 2015
Owain Thomas in the Court of Appeal in customs law case on military clothing - Nov 2015
Owain Thomas successful in HMRC tax avoidance case - Jun 2015
Owain Thomas wins for HMRC in Court of Appeal VAT dispute with Sub-One represented by Philippa Whipple QC and Isabel McArdle - Jun 2014
Owain Thomas succeeds in defending a PCT’s decision not to admit a Doctor who introduced religious content into consultations - Oct 2013
Owain Thomas and Matthew Donmall win for HMRC in test case on VAT liability for medical supplies - May 2013
Owain Thomas wins for HMRC against BAA Ltd in the Court of Appeal in a leading case on input tax - Feb 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2013 - Feb 2013
Ten 1COR members and our Chambers Academic have contributed to the 3rd Edition of “Burnett-Hall on Environmental Law” - Feb 2013
Owain Thomas wins for HMRC in VAT dispute with Sub-One represented by Philippa Whipple QC and Isabel McArdle - Oct 2012
Owain Thomas represents the family of boy killed by falling lamppost - May 2012
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2012 - Feb 2012
GMC’s findings of fact re Dr Wakefield announced - Feb 2010