Oliver Sanders QC and Dominic Ruck Keene analyse Big Brother Watch & Others v UK in the latest issue of Counsel Magazine - Nov 2018
Oliver acts for claimants and defendants in a wide variety of contexts. In addition to the contentious work referred to below, he has undertaken specialist advisory work for government on articles 2-3 and 5 of the ECHR, Crown immunity and Crown proceedings, the Equality Act 2010, new schools and academies (including free and grammar schools) and the forfeiture of pensions.
In the national security context, he has acted for the intelligence services, government, the police and oversight bodies in relation to: breach of confidence and injunction claims; closed material procedures and public interest immunity; contempt of court; extremism, including in education; investigatory powers and data protection; mediations; and reporting restrictions. Furthermore, he has also worked on more than 10 different claims for MOD under special forces confidentiality contracts.
- R (Butt) v Home Sec  EWHC 1930 (Admin): Prevent duty & universities.
- R (Coll) v Justice Sec  UKSC 40: Approved premises for women.
- LL v Lord Chancellor  EWCA Civ 237: Flawed committal and article 5.
- Ministry of Defence v Maclachlan  EWHC 3733 (QB): Special forces confidentiality contracts.
- R (O’Connor) v Aldershot Magistrates  EWHC 2792 (Admin): Access to justice.
- NHS BSA v Williams  EWHC 1952 (Ch): Nursery nurse pensions.
- R (ILPA) v Tribunal Procedure Committee  EWHC 218 (Admin): Immigration appeals and closed materials.
- Lord Chancellor v Detention Action  EWCA Civ 840: Detained fast track appeal procedures.
- Webster v Lord Chancellor  EWCA Civ 742: Flawed summing up and articles 5-6.
- Wright v Lord Chancellor  EWHC 1477 (QB): Flawed sentencing and article 5.
- R (Al-Fawwaz) v Home Sec  EWHC 468 – 469 (Admin): Closed material procedures.
- R (Al-Fawwaz) v Home Sec  EWHC 166 (Admin): NCND and mutual legal assistance.
- R (Bentham) v Justice Sec  EWHC 2469 (Admin): Probation exclusion zones.
- R (Green) v Justice Sec  EWHC 3491 (Admin): Transsexual prisoners.
- R (T (Sri Lanka)) v Home Sec  EWHC 1093 (Admin): Immigration.
- Re a complaint of surveillance  UKIPT A1: Meaning of “surveillance” under RIPA.
- R (Simpson) v Home Sec  EWHC 808 (Admin): Police pensions.
- Malcolm v Justice Sec  EWCA Civ 1538: Prison exercise regimes.
- Ahmad v Brent LBC  EWHC 80 (QB): Lifer recalls.
- Morgan v Ministry of Justice  EWHC 2248 (QB): Prison healthcare and “victim” status under article 2.
- R (AB) v Justice Sec  EWHC 2220 (Admin): Transsexual prisoners.
- JS (Colombia) v Home Sec  EWCA Civ 1238: Deportation.
- Moore v SST  EWCA Civ 750: Francovich damages and limitation.
- Home Sec v Lord Alton of Liverpool  EWCA Civ 443: Proscribed organisations.
- Ministry of Defence v Griffin  EHWC 1542 (QB): Special forces confidentiality contracts.
- E v Home Sec  EWHC 2232 (Admin): Control orders.
Oliver Sanders QC and Michael Deacon in online data breach appeal - Jul 2018
The Sutton Trust’s ‘Pathways to Law: Introduction to Law’ at the London School of Economics - Jan 2018
New QC Appointments Announced Oliver Sanders and Shaheen Rahman - Jan 2017
Oliver Sanders and Amelia Walker in counter-extremism judicial review - Dec 2016
Oliver Sanders QC successful in Court of Appeal case about FOIA and restraint of children - Nov 2017
The Times reports on Chambers extremism cases - Jun 2017
Oliver Sanders QC in Supreme Court equality case about probation hostels for women - May 2017
Oliver Sanders QC in Court of Appeal case about damages for judicial mistakes - Apr 2017
Oliver Sanders QC and Shaheen Rahman QC take Silk - Feb 2017
Oliver Sanders obtains injunction in SAS media case - Nov 2016
Oliver Sanders and Michael Deacon in case about online data breach - Nov 2016
Oliver Sanders in white water rafting inquest - Oct 2015
Oliver Sanders successful in Court of Appeal challenge over probation hostels for women - Apr 2015
Oliver Sanders successful in ground-breaking judicial review arising out of US terror trial - Mar 2015
Oliver Sanders acts for the Ministry of Justice in judicial review about items for transsexual prisoner - Jan 2014
Oliver Sanders acts for Ministry of Justice in judicial review about probation hostels for women - Jan 2014
Oliver Sanders and Andrea Lindsay Strugo act for the Government in Jimmy Mubenga inquest - May 2013
Oliver Sanders in successful FOIA appeal for Home Office on immigration country lists - Apr 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2013 - Feb 2013
Oliver Sanders and Matthew Flinn defend the SFO over Equitable Life papers - Sep 2012
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2012 - Feb 2012
Oliver Sanders acts for MOD in Snatch Land Rover inquest - Mar 2010