London Bridge & Borough Market Terror Attack Inquests Commence - May 2019
Professional Discipline & Regulation
Neil has represented hundreds of doctors, dentists and other health professionals in disciplinary proceedings before the GMC, the GDC, the HCPC and the GOC. He has extensive experience of employment related disputes concerning health professionals, including the application of MHPS, and of judicial review challenges arising out of such cases.
Neil has acted in some of the most important professional disciplinary cases of recent years including the cases of Dr Andrew Wakefield (MMR), Professor Philip Bonhoeffer (the leading case on hearsay), Dr Ruscillo (the first CHRE appeal), and SS & Ghosh (legal representation in Trust disciplinary hearings).
- Al-Mishlab v Milton Keynes Hospital Trust  EWHC 3096 (QB): internal disciplinary proceedings; MHPS; injunction; correct approach to defects in investigation.
- Al Mishlab v Milton Keynes Hospital Trust  EWHC 91 (QB): claim by doctor for breach of contract; duty to seek alternatives to suspension; breakdown in working relationships.
- R (Bonhoeffer) v General Medical Council  IRLR 37: successful challenge to MPTS decision to admit hearsay evidence; only permissible in compelling circumstances.
- R (SS) v Knowsley NHS Primary Care Trust  EWHC 26 (Admin): right to legal representation at removal hearings; Article 6; common law fairness.
- Ruscillo v CHRE  1 WLR: First appeal by CHRE for undue leniency; applicable principles.
- Dr Andrew Wakefield v General Medical Council: MMR; legal aid funding; research ethics; dishonesty.
Congratulations to Neil Sheldon QC & Robert Kellar QC on taking silk today - Mar 2019
Congratulations to new silks Neil Sheldon and Robert Kellar - Jan 2019
Neil Sheldon and Matthew Hill in Supreme Court over the correct approach to the assessment of medical evidence in asylum claims - Dec 2018
Neil Sheldon wins ‘Public Inquiries Barrister of the Year’ at the annual Lawyer Monthly Awards - Nov 2018
Neil Sheldon and Matthew Hill instructed in the Westminster Bridge Inquests - Sep 2018
Neil Sheldon successful in Court of Appeal in cases concerning leave to remain under Article 8 - May 2018
Neil Sheldon defends the 2012 Immigration Rules in the Court of Appeal - Mar 2018
Neil Sheldon appears in the Court of Appeal in a case concerning the admission to the UK of adult dependent relatives - May 2017
Philip Havers QC and Neil Sheldon succeed in Supreme Court on Art 8 Rights case - May 2017
Neil Sheldon Acts For The Home Office In Trio of Article 8 Supreme Court Cases - Mar 2017
Inquest result announced for Frances Cappuccini, Whose Family Are Represented By Neil Sheldon - Jan 2017
Neil Sheldon Represents Family of Mother, Frances Cappuccini In Ongoing Inquest Into Her Death - Jan 2017
Neil Sheldon and Alasdair Henderson appear for the Lord Chancellor in LASPO case: Rights of Women v SSJ - Jan 2015
Neil Garnham QC, Neil Sheldon and Robert Wastell are representing the Home Secretary in the Public Inquiry into the death of Alexander Litvinenko - Aug 2014
Neil Sheldon successful for HMRC in Supreme Court smuggling case - Jun 2014
Neil Garnham QC and Neil Sheldon are representing the Home Secretary in the inquest into the death of Alexander Litvinenko - Feb 2014
Neil Garnham QC and Neil Sheldon successful in judicial review challenge to the Public Interest Immunity decision in the Litvinenko Inquest - Dec 2013
Nine members of 1COR involved in Al-Sweady Public Inquiry - Mar 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2013 - Feb 2013
Neil Garnham QC and Neil Sheldon are representing the Home Secretary at the Inquest into the death of Alexander Litvinenko - Feb 2013
Kieran Coonan QC and Neil Sheldon obtain block on hearsay evidence in Bonhoeffer case - Jul 2011
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2012 - Feb 2012
New appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels - Mar 2010
GMC’s findings of fact re Dr Wakefield announced - Feb 2010