1 Crown Office Row nominated in five categories at the Legal 500 Bar Awards - Jul 2022
Neil acts for both claimants and defendants in high value and complex clinical negligence claims, and he has represented hundreds of doctors, dentists and other health professionals in disciplinary proceedings before the GMC, the GDC, at inquests, and in internal employment proceedings.
“He provides clear written opinions and deals with matters promptly. He makes himself available and his manner with clients is caring and reassuring. His trial preparation is meticulous and his advocacy is measured and persuasive.” (Chambers & Partners)
“An impressive advocate and strategist. He has a brilliant legal mind and is a delight to work with.” “Sought after due to his experience and highly persuasive advocacy. He achieves excellent results at trial.” (Chambers & Partners)
‘He is exceptional in his drafting and will ensure that every case has the best chance of success through thorough examination of the evidence. ’ (Legal 500)
- A v States of Guernsey and Others (2020): defence of obstetrician in maximum severity cerebral palsy claim with jurisdictional issues.
- H (2020): represented Claimant in near-maximum severity cerebral palsy claim.
- JXM (2020): multimillion cerebral palsy claim on behalf of child with complex family dynamic.
- AB (2020): defence of GP in cauda equina claim.
- Z-R (2020): acted for family of man who committed suicide whilst in psychiatric care.
- M v W (2017): defence of doctor in secondary victim claim.
- S v H (2017): defence of doctor in alleged late diagnosis of cancer claim brought by professional motor race involving complex loss of earnings.
- JKL v Great Ormond Street Hospital (2017): cerebral palsy claim acting for the claimant. Settled for £27.5m.
- M v S (2017): defence of doctor in claim concerning delayed diagnosis of hip pathology.
- Badri v Hariram  EWHC 2122 (QB): successful defence of GP; subluxation of infant hips; diagnosis of developmental dysplasia.
- Lee v Hammer  LTL A58YJ640: successful defence of spinal surgeon; interpretation of complex radiology and neurophysiology.
- Webb v Liverpool Women’s Hospital  EWHC 133 (QB): successful claim for a child injured during delivery; obstetric mismanagement; shoulder dystocia.
- Packham v Hazari  EWHC 3951: successful defence of plastic surgeon; scarring; consent; inability to predict precise outcome in advance of surgery.
Neil Sheldon QC in judicial review regarding stolen 16th century Qur’an - Aug 2021
Inquest returns verdict of neglect after basic error missed - Jul 2021
Hearings Commence for Jermaine Baker Public Inquiry - Jun 2021
Fishmongers’ Hall Terror Attack Inquests Conclude - Jun 2021
Widening Participation with the Inner Temple and Warwick University - Feb 2020
Neil Sheldon QC successful in landmark appeal on Parliamentary Privilege - Feb 2020
Law Pod UK Ep. 100 : Disaster Avoidance for Experts with Neil Sheldon QC - Dec 2019
High Court to hear challenge by Sikhs to Census - Nov 2019
Is this too sensitive? Dealing with difficult issues in Inquests and Inquiries - Oct 2019
Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse publish investigation report into Accountability and Reparations - Sep 2019
Neil Sheldon QC and Charlotte Gilmartin instructed in inquest into Prof. Bitner-Glindzicz - Aug 2019
London Bridge Inquest concludes attackers lawfully killed - Jul 2019
London Bridge & Borough Market Terror Attack Inquests Commence - May 2019
Congratulations to Neil Sheldon QC & Robert Kellar QC on taking silk today - Mar 2019
Congratulations to new silks Neil Sheldon and Robert Kellar - Jan 2019
Neil Sheldon and Matthew Hill in Supreme Court over the correct approach to the assessment of medical evidence in asylum claims - Dec 2018
Neil Sheldon wins ‘Public Inquiries Barrister of the Year’ at the annual Lawyer Monthly Awards - Nov 2018
Neil Sheldon and Matthew Hill instructed in the Westminster Bridge Inquests - Sep 2018
Neil Sheldon successful in Court of Appeal in cases concerning leave to remain under Article 8 - May 2018
Neil Sheldon defends the 2012 Immigration Rules in the Court of Appeal - Mar 2018
Neil Sheldon appears in the Court of Appeal in a case concerning the admission to the UK of adult dependent relatives - May 2017
Philip Havers QC and Neil Sheldon succeed in Supreme Court on Art 8 Rights case - May 2017
Neil Sheldon Acts For The Home Office In Trio of Article 8 Supreme Court Cases - Mar 2017
Inquest result announced for Frances Cappuccini, Whose Family Are Represented By Neil Sheldon - Jan 2017
Neil Sheldon Represents Family of Mother, Frances Cappuccini In Ongoing Inquest Into Her Death - Jan 2017
Neil Sheldon and Alasdair Henderson appear for the Lord Chancellor in LASPO case: Rights of Women v SSJ - Jan 2015
Neil Garnham QC, Neil Sheldon and Robert Wastell are representing the Home Secretary in the Public Inquiry into the death of Alexander Litvinenko - Aug 2014
Neil Sheldon successful for HMRC in Supreme Court smuggling case - Jun 2014
Neil Garnham QC and Neil Sheldon are representing the Home Secretary in the inquest into the death of Alexander Litvinenko - Feb 2014
Neil Garnham QC and Neil Sheldon successful in judicial review challenge to the Public Interest Immunity decision in the Litvinenko Inquest - Dec 2013
Nine members of 1COR involved in Al-Sweady Public Inquiry - Mar 2013
Neil Garnham QC and Neil Sheldon are representing the Home Secretary at the Inquest into the death of Alexander Litvinenko - Feb 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2013 - Feb 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2012 - Feb 2012
Kieran Coonan QC and Neil Sheldon obtain block on hearsay evidence in Bonhoeffer case - Jul 2011
New appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels - Mar 2010
GMC’s findings of fact re Dr Wakefield announced - Feb 2010