The Changing Face of Judicial Review - Oct 2022
Natasha’s practice covers litigation and advice across all areas of indirect tax, and she is particularly sought after for challenges brought by way of judicial review.
She regularly appears before the Court of Appeal, High Court, Upper Tax Tribunal and in high value appeals heard in the First-tier Tax Tribunal. Those cases have involved the interpretation of EU directives, fiscal neutrality, the place of supply, triangulation, human rights in relation to tax law, the excise warehousing scheme and the alcohol wholesaler registration scheme.
- Success on behalf of taxpayer in a judicial review challenge to HMRC’s failure to allow late amendments to a tax return.
- Ampleaward Ltd v HMRC  EWCA Civ 1459: Lead counsel in Court of Appeal case concerning the lawfulness of the ‘fall back’ provisions relating to acquisition tax due on cross-border supplies.
- Acting on behalf of a healthcare company in a challenge to HMRC’s decision to issue an open market value direction.
- Acting on behalf of a local authority in a challenge to HMRC’s decision concerning the correct VAT treatment of pay-as-you-go parking.
- Life Services v HMRC  1 WLR 2828: Success in lead cases before the Court of Appeal addressing whether supplies could be treated differently for VAT purposes across the devolved nations.
- KSM Henryk Zeman v HMRC  UKUT 182: Appeared as sole counsel in an important Upper Tribunal appeal concerning whether the FTT has jurisdiction to consider public law arguments in an appeal.
- R (on the application of Seabrook Warehousing Ltd) v HMRC  EWCA Civ 1357: Success in Court of Appeal arising out of a judicial review challenge that the due diligence requirements imposed on alcohol traders were unlawful and disproportionate.
- Lead counsel in a complex partial exemption dispute involving a two week trial before the FTT in March 2022.
- Advised in a £50 million VAT dispute concerning the correct treatment of supplies across a corporate group.
Natasha Barnes appears on behalf of taxpayer in appeal to the Upper Tribunal - Oct 2022
Congratulations to our four members appointed to the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Aug 2022
Natasha Barnes appears as sole counsel in Court of Appeal - Jan 2022
Natasha Barnes successful in Court of Appeal - Nov 2021
Today the Supreme Court has dismissed an appeal concerning the status of 10,000 asylum appeals in TN v SSHD  - Sep 2021
Natasha Barnes appears as lead counsel in Court of Appeal - Jun 2021
Today the Supreme Court hears case relating to the status of 10,000 asylum appeals - Nov 2020
Supreme Court grants permission in TN concerning the status of 10,000 asylum appeals - May 2020
Natasha Barnes successful for HMRC in Upper Tribunal in joined appeals concerning the scope of the welfare exemption - May 2020
Natasha Barnes successful in Court of Appeal - Mar 2020
Natasha Barnes successful in challenge to MI5 agents engaging in criminal activity - Jan 2020
Natasha Barnes instructed in challenge to MI5 Agents engaging in criminal activity - Nov 2019
Natasha Barnes successful in Court of Appeal - Aug 2019
Congratulations to David Manknell, Suzanne Lambert, Alasdair Henderson, Natasha Barnes and Paul Reynolds on their appointments to Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Jul 2019
Natasha Barnes appears in “child spies” case - Jul 2019
Natasha Barnes appears in Court of Appeal regarding due diligence requirements imposed on alcohol wholesale traders - May 2019
Natasha Barnes in complex partial exemption dispute in N Brown v HMRC - Mar 2019
Natasha Barnes succeeds for HMRC in significant tax case addressing whether supplies can be treated differently for VAT purposes across the devolved nations - Jan 2019
Natasha Barnes succeeds for HMRC in multi-million pound test case - Dec 2018
Natasha Barnes appears in Court of Appeal ruling that 10,000 fast track asylum appeals were not necessarily unfair - Dec 2018
Natasha Barnes wins in Court of Appeal regarding the Secretary of State’s powers to deprive individuals of British citizenship - Sep 2018
Natasha Barnes successful for the Secretary of State in national security case - Apr 2018
Natasha Barnes successful in this appeal against HMRC’s decision to revoke the approval of Rurkhee Trading under WOWGR - Apr 2018
Celebrate and support Lizanne Gumbel QC, her son Mark Wainwright and Natasha Barnes running the London Marathon for LOOK this year - Apr 2018
1COR welcomes Natasha Barnes as a new tenant - Mar 2018