Michael Spencer secures Sure Start Maternity Grant for refugees and kinship carers - Jun 2020
Michael is developing a broad public law practice, having spent 8 years prior to coming to the bar as a solicitor-advocate specialising in public law and human rights. He has a particular interest in discrimination, social security, immigration, migrant rights, mental health, environmental and regulatory law.
Michael is a member of the Equality and Human Rights Commission’s C Panel of Counsel and the Chair of the Asylum Support Appeals Project. He co-authored the Migrants for Benefits Handbook and the Disabled Children Handbook. In 2017 he spent a year as the judicial assistant to Lord Kerr at the Supreme Court, where he assisted in a number of high profile public law cases including:
- R(Miller) v SSExEU  UKSC 5,
- In Re Brewster  UKSC 8,
- R(Kiarie and Byndloss) v SSHD  UKSC 42
- Unison v Lord Chancellor  UKSC 51.
- Repsol Sinopec Resources UK Ltd v Secretary of State for BEIS  UKFTT GGE_2019_0001 (GRC): Appeared as a junior with David Hart QC in an appeal in the First-tier Tribunal (General Regulatory Chamber) relating to the Carbon Emissions Trading Scheme.
- SK and LL v SSWP (2019): Appeared unled in a test case appeal before the Upper Tribunal (Administrative Appeals Chamber) relating to discrimination against refugees and kinship carers.
- IS v SSHD (2019): Judicial review of decision to refuse permission to appeal to the Upper Tribunal in an immigration appeal.
- YS v SSHD (2019): Successful claim for judicial review of decision to house an asylum seeker with mental health problems in shared accommodation.
- MM and SI v SSWP  UKUT 149 (AAC): Successful appeal establishing exemption for refugees from the past presence test for disability living allowance.
Michael Spencer contributes to 3rd edition of the legal handbook for disabled children - Mar 2020
‘Judicial review trends and forecasts 2019: Public law and technology’ with the Public Law Project - Oct 2019
Jo Moore, Michael Spencer and Thomas Beamont volunteer at Roehampton University Mock Trial - May 2019
1COR welcome Michael Spencer as a tenant - May 2019
1COR welcomes new pupils Darragh Coffey, Thomas Beamont and Michael Spencer - Oct 2018