1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Summer/Autumn 2021 – Issue 10 - Jan 2022
Matthew has acted in a wide range of public law cases, including those involving medical law, inquiries and inquests, national security and human rights.
He appeared in the Court of Protection on behalf of the Home Secretary in a cases concerning the best interests of Sergei and Yulia Skripal following their poisoning by the nerve agent novichok. He has been instructed in the High Court and Court of Appeal judicial review proceedings arising out of the Birmingham Inquests (1974), which concern the scope of inquests and the interrelationship of coronial and criminal proceedings.
Matthew has developed experience in matters concerning PII, including applications in the Family Court. He is the co-author, with Sir Neil Garnham, of the chapter concerning anonymity, PII and protective measures in the Inquests Book: the Law of Coroners and Inquests (Hart Publishing, 2016)
Matthew has also been instructed on matters ranging from freedom of information requests concerning the allowances paid to former Prime Ministers, to the procedural fairness of the policies of the General Medical Council in charging disciplinary cases.
- Elgizouli v Secretary of State for the Home Department UKSC (2019): on appeal from  EWHC 60 (Admin): Case concerning former British citizens who travelled to Syria and are accused of involvement in terrorism and murder.
- Kamoka Litigation: Proceedings concerning unlawful actions by UK government.
- KV (Sri Lanka) v SSHD  UKSC 10; on appeal from  EWCA CIV 119 : Appeared in the Supreme Court in December 2018 in case concerning the correct approach to the assessment of medical evidence in asylum claims.
- FOIA Claim (2018): Successfully defended the right to privacy and confidentiality of former Prime Ministers and their employees in a claim arising from the Freedom of Information Act.
- GW v (1) The Information Commissioner, (2) The Cabinet Office  UKUT 312 (AAC): Defended the right to privacy and confidentiality of former Prime Ministers and their employees in a claim arising from the Freedom of Information Act.
- SSHD v Sergei and Yulia Skripal and anr  EWCOP 6: Successful application for an order allowing the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons to obtain blood samples from two unconscious victims of poisoning by the nerve agent Novichok. (Law Pod UK, ep. 124)
- R (Hambleton and others) v The Coroner for the Birmingham Inquests (1974)  EWHC 56 (Admin): High Court and Court of Appeal proceedings concerning the scope of the renewed inquests into the Birmingham pub bombings, and the question of whether they should seek to identify the perpetrators of the bombings.
- Kamoka and others v The Security Service and others: Litigation concerning allegations of UK collusion and involvement in rendition and mistreatment of claimants overseas.
- GW v (1) The Information Commissioner, (2) The Cabinet Office  UKUT 312 (AAC): Matthew represented the Cabinet Office in a case concerning a freedom of information request for details of the Public Duty Cost Allowance paid to former Prime Ministers.
- X, Y and Z v United Kingdom (Application no. 32666/10): Application to the European Court of Human Rights, alleging violations of articles 3, 6, 8 and 13 in respect of a local authority’s failure to re-house a family that was subsequently subjected to violence and abuse in their home.
- CM v General Medical Council: Judicial review proceedings that led to the first successful challenge of the GMC’s ‘pilot scheme’ for charging Fitness to Practise allegations.
Investigation into the institutional response to allegations of child sexual abuse involving Lord Janner published - Oct 2021
Healthcare Inquests & Covid-19 – Where Are We Now? - May 2021
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Autumn 2020 – Issue 7 - Feb 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 124: The last Novichok poisoning with Matthew Hill - Sep 2020
JUSTICE Report ‘When Things Go Wrong: the response of the justice system’ - Aug 2020
Congratulations on our Six Members appointed to the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Aug 2020
Law Pod UK Ep. 120: Internment in Northern Ireland with Matthew Hill - Jul 2020
Is this too sensitive? Dealing with difficult issues in Inquests and Inquiries - Oct 2019
Public Hearings begin in The Infected Blood Inquiry - May 2019
The Birmingham Pub Bombings Inquest concludes - Apr 2019
The Birmingham Pub Bombings Inquest opens - Feb 2019
1COR hitting the headlines with Martin Forde QC, Jeremy Hyam QC and Matthew Hill featured in The Lawyer’s Hot 100 2019 - Jan 2019
Infected Blood Inquiry announces innovative plans to allow individuals to give evidence anonymously - Jan 2019
Matthew Hill succeeds in former PM costs case - Dec 2018
Neil Sheldon and Matthew Hill in Supreme Court over the correct approach to the assessment of medical evidence in asylum claims - Dec 2018
Delighted to have 1COR, Lizanne Gumbel QC and Matthew Hill nominated in the Legal 500 Awards - Dec 2018
Peter Skelton QC, Matthew Hill and Gideon Barth successful in Court of Appeal inquests challenge - Sep 2018
Matthew Hill and Michael Deacon instructed as junior counsel to the Infected Blood Inquiry - Sep 2018
Neil Sheldon and Matthew Hill instructed in the Westminster Bridge Inquests - Sep 2018
Peter Skelton QC, Matthew Hill and Gideon Barth in Court of Appeal inquests challenge - Jul 2018
Matthew Hill has been instructed as lead junior counsel to the Infected Blood Inquiry - Apr 2018
Owain Thomas QC and Matthew Hill applied for a court order allowing the OPCW to analyse blood samples taken from victims of the Salisbury nerve agent attack - Mar 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 18: Do Judge Led Inquiries work? - Nov 2017
Shaheen Rahman QC and Matthew Hill speak at the annual Justice Human Rights Law Conference - Oct 2017
1 COR Annual Magazine: Bundle now available for clients and colleagues - Jul 2017
Matthew Hill helps family obtain neglect finding at inquest into respite care death - Jul 2017
Unlawful Killing – Hillsborough Inquest Handed Down - Apr 2016
Christina Lambert QC Lead Counsel to the new Hillsborough Inquests with Matthew Hill and Paul Reynolds as Junior Counsel - Mar 2014
Philippa Whipple QC lead Counsel to the Detainee Inquiry assisted by Matthew Hill - Dec 2013
Christina Lambert QC has been appointed as Lead Counsel to the new Hillsborough Inquests with Matthew Hill as Junior Counsel - Apr 2013
Nine members of 1COR involved in Al-Sweady Public Inquiry - Mar 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2013 - Feb 2013