Investigation into the institutional response to allegations of child sexual abuse involving Lord Janner published - Oct 2021
Matthew has been ranked as a Band 1 Junior in Chambers & Partners since 2013. He is currently instructed as Lead Junior Counsel to the Infected Blood Inquiry and the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse. Previously, he worked on the Detainee Inquiry, the Al-Sweady Public Inquiry and the Bloody Sunday Inquiry.
He is ranked as a Star Individual by Chambers & Partners and a Tier 1 junior by Legal 500.
- The Infected Blood Inquiry (ongoing): Matthew is presently Lead Junior Counsel to the Inquiry, which is examining the infection of NHS patients through the use of infected blood and blood products.
- The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (2016 – present): Matthew is Lead Junior Counsel to the Inquiry in one of its investigative strands and has advised on wider issues of public law. He has facilitated public seminars on overseas approaches to preventing child sexual abuse and exploitation, and on the domestic criminal justice system.
- The Al-Sweady Public Inquiry (2010-2012): Matthew was part of the team representing more than 500 soldiers in a public inquiry into allegations of the mistreatment of detainees following a battle in Iraq.
- The Detainee Inquiry (2011-2012): Matthew acted for the Inquiry, which examined allegations of complicity by the UK in the rendition, torture and mistreatment of detainees overseas.
- The Bloody Sunday Inquiry (2002-2009): Matthew worked as an historian on the inquiry into the events of 30 January 1972, in which thirteen people were killed following a civil rights march in Northern Ireland. He worked with Counsel to the Inquiry and the Tribunal.
Healthcare Inquests & Covid-19 – Where Are We Now? - May 2021
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Autumn 2020 – Issue 7 - Feb 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 124: The last Novichok poisoning with Matthew Hill - Sep 2020
JUSTICE Report ‘When Things Go Wrong: the response of the justice system’ - Aug 2020
Congratulations on our Six Members appointed to the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Aug 2020
Law Pod UK Ep. 120: Internment in Northern Ireland with Matthew Hill - Jul 2020
Is this too sensitive? Dealing with difficult issues in Inquests and Inquiries - Oct 2019
Public Hearings begin in The Infected Blood Inquiry - May 2019
The Birmingham Pub Bombings Inquest concludes - Apr 2019
The Birmingham Pub Bombings Inquest opens - Feb 2019
1COR hitting the headlines with Martin Forde QC, Jeremy Hyam QC and Matthew Hill featured in The Lawyer’s Hot 100 2019 - Jan 2019
Infected Blood Inquiry announces innovative plans to allow individuals to give evidence anonymously - Jan 2019
Matthew Hill succeeds in former PM costs case - Dec 2018
Neil Sheldon and Matthew Hill in Supreme Court over the correct approach to the assessment of medical evidence in asylum claims - Dec 2018
Delighted to have 1COR, Lizanne Gumbel QC and Matthew Hill nominated in the Legal 500 Awards - Dec 2018
Peter Skelton QC, Matthew Hill and Gideon Barth successful in Court of Appeal inquests challenge - Sep 2018
Matthew Hill and Michael Deacon instructed as junior counsel to the Infected Blood Inquiry - Sep 2018
Neil Sheldon and Matthew Hill instructed in the Westminster Bridge Inquests - Sep 2018
Peter Skelton QC, Matthew Hill and Gideon Barth in Court of Appeal inquests challenge - Jul 2018
Matthew Hill has been instructed as lead junior counsel to the Infected Blood Inquiry - Apr 2018
Owain Thomas QC and Matthew Hill applied for a court order allowing the OPCW to analyse blood samples taken from victims of the Salisbury nerve agent attack - Mar 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 18: Do Judge Led Inquiries work? - Nov 2017
Shaheen Rahman QC and Matthew Hill speak at the annual Justice Human Rights Law Conference - Oct 2017
1 COR Annual Magazine: Bundle now available for clients and colleagues - Jul 2017
Matthew Hill helps family obtain neglect finding at inquest into respite care death - Jul 2017
Unlawful Killing – Hillsborough Inquest Handed Down - Apr 2016
Christina Lambert QC Lead Counsel to the new Hillsborough Inquests with Matthew Hill and Paul Reynolds as Junior Counsel - Mar 2014
Philippa Whipple QC lead Counsel to the Detainee Inquiry assisted by Matthew Hill - Dec 2013
Christina Lambert QC has been appointed as Lead Counsel to the new Hillsborough Inquests with Matthew Hill as Junior Counsel - Apr 2013
Nine members of 1COR involved in Al-Sweady Public Inquiry - Mar 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2013 - Feb 2013