Matthew Donmall and Dominic Ruck Keene promoted by the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Sep 2021
The son of two doctors, Matt has medicine in the family. His expertise in clinical negligence spans both liability and quantum issues, and the difficult points of causation that can intersect them. He acts for both claimants and defendants, and finds doing so helps to give insight into how opponents may act.
Matt’s keenness for legal and factual complexity has also led him to develop a wide-ranging practice in indirect tax and rating, appearing in tribunals and courts all the way to the Supreme Court.
Outside the law and where the demands of his young family allow, Matt enjoys cycling and the occasional triathlon. He has represented Great Britain in his age group at the ITU Triathlon World Championships, and hopes to be racing his bike in the Pyrenees this summer.Clinical Negligence
Matt has extensive experience in clinical negligence claims representing claimants and defendants across a wide range of medical areas. These include obstetric / perinatal injury; gastroenterology; delayed cancer diagnosis; orthopaedic and other surgery; general practice and dentistry. Having been on the Attorney General’s Panel of counsel for many years, he has also considerable insight into public law and human rights matters.
- SO v Wirral University Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (2020): four day trial of liability and quantum issues concerning total hip replacement, by way of a hybrid hearing conducted both in-person and virtually. For Defendant
- JL v Derbyshire Community Health Services NHS Foundation Trust (2019): four-day liability trial of claim of extravasation injury. For defendant.
- TW (by mother MW) v Peterborough & Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (2019): cerebral palsy claim, led by Henry Witcomb QC. For claimant.
- VC v Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (2018): liability trial concerning paracetamol administration to patient after admission for overdose. For defendant.
Matt frequently acts in inquests concerning deaths in medical settings, and also has particular experience of inquests into deaths in prison and issues arising including ACCT and emergency ‘Code Blue’ procedures.
- Inquest into the death of Julie O’Connor (2020): death following missed diagnosis of cancer on cervical screening. Acted for private hospital which undertook subsequent treatment.
- Inquest into the death of Caroline Pearson-Smith (2019): death in hospital after administration of excessive phenytoin. For family.
Matt has expertise in matters of indirect taxation, including VAT, customs and excise duties, and rating, appearing in tribunals and courts all the way to the Supreme Court. He has particular experience of Rule 18 group litigation, single / multiple supply issues, and classification disputes in respect of technological products.
- Royal Opera House Covent Garden Foundation v HMRC  EWCA Civ 910: Court of Appeal VAT case on whether production costs are attributable to taxable catering supplies. For HMRC.
- Gardarsson (t/a Action Day A Islandi) v HMRC  UKUT 99 (TC): VAT case on whether a day planner was a ‘book’ for the purposes of zero-rating. For HMRC.
- Sykes (VO) v Great Bear Distribution Ltd  UKUT 238 (LC): rating case concerning the powers of the Valuation Tribunal for England in a proposal for deletion due to reconstruction works.
- Newbigin (Valuation Officer) v S J & J Monk (firm)  UKSC 14: Rating case concerning the meaning of the statutory repair assumption (led by Sarabjit Singh QC)
Matt has considerable public inquiry experience, both for core participants and for the inquiry itself.
Matthew Donmall wins in Court of Appeal VAT case - Jun 2021
Matthew Donmall represents family at inquest into death of Caroline Pearson-Smith - Jan 2020
Latest Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse report into The Roman Catholic Church Case Study published - Oct 2019
Iain O’Donnell, Matthew Donmall and Emma-Louise Fenelon act in important recent Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA) hearing - Feb 2019
The Kenyan Emergency Group Litigation is at an end - Nov 2018
Guy Mansfield QC upholds Kenya Emergency Group Litigation judgment in Court of Appeal - Oct 2018
Sarabjit Singh to lead Matt Donmall in landmark rating law case in Supreme Court on Monday - Nov 2016
Angus McCullough QC and Matthew Donmall appear in civil claim arising out of attempted murder in Kyrgyz Republic - Sep 2016
Owain Thomas QC and Matthew Donmall win Supreme Court VAT case on third party consideration - May 2016
Owain Thomas QC and Matthew Donmall in the Supreme Court - Mar 2016
Owain Thomas and Matthew Donmall obtain a reference by the Court of Appeal to the CJEU in VAT case - Nov 2015
Matthew Donmall appointed to the B Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown - Jul 2015
Philippa Whipple QC and Matthew Donmall win Court of Appeal case on public funding - Jun 2015
1COR team in the London Bikeathon supporting Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research - Sep 2013
Owain Thomas and Matthew Donmall win for HMRC in test case on VAT liability for medical supplies - May 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2013 - Feb 2013
Ten 1COR members and our Chambers Academic have contributed to the 3rd Edition of “Burnett-Hall on Environmental Law” - Feb 2013
Team of four from 1COR in Supreme Court win in nuclear testing limitation case - Mar 2012
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2012 - Feb 2012
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A and C Panels - Feb 2011
Court of Appeal victory for Ministry of Defence in Atomic Veterans case - Dec 2010