Matthew Donmall represents family at inquest into death of Caroline Pearson-Smith - Jan 2020
Matthew Donmall has a wide-ranging public and private law practice, with particular emphasis on indirect taxation and rating, clinical negligence, personal injury, and public law, public inquiries and inquests.Tax
Matt has expertise in matters of indirect taxation, including VAT, customs and excise duties, and rating, appearing in tribunals and courts all the way to the Supreme Court. He has particular experience of Rule 18 group litigation, single / multiple supply issues, and classification disputes in respect of technological products.
- Newbigin (Valuation Officer) v S J & J Monk (firm)  UKSC 14: Rating case concerning the meaning of the statutory repair assumption under the Local Government Finance Act 1988.
- Airtours Holiday Transport Ltd v HMRC  UKSC 21: Relating to VAT tax treatment of supplies in a tripartite scenario.
- General Healthcare Group v HMRC  UKUT 315 (TCC): Single / multiple supply dispute relating to provision of prostheses by hospitals.
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services UK Ltd v Revenue & Customs  EWCA Civ 1211: VAT treatment of a motor vehicle finance agreement.
- Amino Communications Ltd v HMRC  UKFTT 0035 (TC): Concerning the proper classification of internet-protocol set top boxes.
Matt has extensive experience in clinical negligence disputes, acting for both claimants and defendants, across a wide range of claims, including general practice, gastroenterology, delayed cancer diagnosis, orthopaedics and dentistry.
Matt frequently undertakes advisory, written and court work in personal injury matters, often with an international element. He has particular experience of group action and limitation issues, and was instructed at all levels up to the Supreme Court in the Nuclear Test Veterans Group Litigation (led by Charles Gibson QC). He is currently instructed by the MOD in a number of personal injury claims arising out of active operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, in which the MOD relies on the doctrine of combat immunity.
- Daley v Bakiyev  EWHC 1972 (QB): Successfully represented Maxim Bakiyev, son of the former President of Kyrgyzstan, against a claim that he had "organised and arranged" the shooting of a British businessman for reasons connected to a mining licence for a Kyrgyz goldmine.
- A v MOD (unreported) , QBD before Mitting J: High Court trial of alleged assault of an interpreter in Afghanistan who had been considered a security risk.
Matt has considerable public inquiry experience and is currently instructed to act as Junior Counsel to the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA). He was previously instructed in the Kenyan Emergency Gourp Litigation (known as the ‘Mau Mau’ litigation) and represented over 250 MOD witnesses in the Public Inquiry into the death of Baha Mousa (led by Neil Garnham QC).
Matt regularly appears at inquests, in particular those involving healthcare issues or deaths in custody.
Latest Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse report into The Roman Catholic Church Case Study published - Oct 2019
Iain O’Donnell, Matthew Donmall and Emma-Louise Fenelon act in important recent Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA) hearing - Feb 2019
The Kenyan Emergency Group Litigation is at an end - Nov 2018
Guy Mansfield QC upholds Kenya Emergency Group Litigation judgment in Court of Appeal - Oct 2018
Sarabjit Singh to lead Matt Donmall in landmark rating law case in Supreme Court on Monday - Nov 2016
Angus McCullough QC and Matthew Donmall appear in civil claim arising out of attempted murder in Kyrgyz Republic - Sep 2016
Owain Thomas QC and Matthew Donmall win Supreme Court VAT case on third party consideration - May 2016
Owain Thomas QC and Matthew Donmall in the Supreme Court - Mar 2016
Owain Thomas and Matthew Donmall obtain a reference by the Court of Appeal to the CJEU in VAT case - Nov 2015
Matthew Donmall appointed to the B Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown - Jul 2015
Philippa Whipple QC and Matthew Donmall win Court of Appeal case on public funding - Jun 2015
1COR team in the London Bikeathon supporting Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research - Sep 2013
Owain Thomas and Matthew Donmall win for HMRC in test case on VAT liability for medical supplies - May 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2013 - Feb 2013
Ten 1COR members and our Chambers Academic have contributed to the 3rd Edition of “Burnett-Hall on Environmental Law” - Feb 2013
Team of four from 1COR in Supreme Court win in nuclear testing limitation case - Mar 2012
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2012 - Feb 2012
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A and C Panels - Feb 2011
Court of Appeal victory for Ministry of Defence in Atomic Veterans case - Dec 2010