Read through some of the highlights of 2019 in the 1COR Bundle - Sep 2019
Martin Downs has a distinct practice covering judicial review (frequently involving issues of social care) and children’s and mental capacity proceedings (frequently at appellate level) concerning such subjects as radicalisation, international placement and re-location, modern slavery, forced marriage, Human Rights and damages.
He has a distinct practice in care proceedings and radicalization prevention cases. Further able to take on cases with significant family law element. He uses this knowledge to handle inquests, including those concerning the deaths of children in care. Recently, he has acted in a series of judgments concerning the Prevent strategy in regards to prohibiting children from going to Syria, Iraq and Libya.
Listen to Martin talk about his experience tackling radicalisation in the civil courts on episode 13 of our podcast Law Pod UK here.
- YLA v PM & Another  EWHC 4020 (COP)  COPLR 114: Forced Marriage.
- Re UF (Secretary of State intervening)  COPLR 93 Charles VP Costs in the Court of Protection
- A v B  EWHC 328 (Fam) (06 February 2018): Successful appeal – removal to Poland
- Re E (Brussels II Revised: Vienna Convention: Reporting Restrictions)  2 FLR 151 Munby P.
- P (A Child)  EWCA Civ 1174: Article 8 and the placement of children outside the jurisdiction.
- Leicester City Council v Chhatbar  2 FLR 1365: Return of a child from Northern Cyprus.
- A Council v M & Others (No. 4)  1 FLR 881: Foreign Adoption: Refusal of Recognition.
- West Sussex County Council v Jade Alma  1 FLR 1383:  EWHC 2009 (Modern Slavery)
- In Re TG (Placement in The Gambia)  EWFC 85 Theis J.
The use of Wardship in atypical cases
- Re K Wardship Order (No. 2)  2 FLR 310: Publicity.
- Re E Wardship Order  2 FLR 63: Child in Voluntary Accommodation.
Human Rights and contested adoptions
- Re T (A Child) (Early Permanence Placement)  EWCA Civ 983  1 FLR 330.
Re C  2 FLR 131: Appeal from Care and Placement Orders.
- Re H (A Child) (Appeal)  EWCA Civ 1284,  2 FLR 1173
- Re W (A Child) (Adoption)  EWHC 829 (Fam);  2 FLR 1628: Munby P said, “This is a very complex and worrying case. It is, I think, by some margin the most difficult and concerning case of its type I have ever been involved in.”
- Re W (A Child) (No 2)  EWHC 917: certification of leap-frog appeal to the Supreme Court.
- Re W (A child) (No. 3)  EWHC 1032 (Fam)  1 FLR 1714: dating of an Adoption Order.
- Re W (A Child) (No 4)  EWHC 1760; 167 NLJ 7755 (10 July 2017): Court dismissed applications to set aside an adoption/prevent the removal of a child from the jurisdiction and an application for post-adoption contact after an extraordinary evening hearing of the High Court.
Freedom of Expression/confidentiality
- Re K Wardship Order  1 FLR 548: Publicity.
- A Council v M & Others (No. 3)  EWHC 4241 (Fam): Reporting Restriction Order: Adoptive Child; Artificial Insemination.
Serious child abuse or medical issues
- CN & GN v Poole BC  UKSC 25
- A Council v M & Others (No. 1)  2 FLR 1229: Fact-Finding: Artificial Insemination.
- Re Y (Risk of Young Person Travelling to Join IS) (No 1)  EWHC 2098  2 FLR 225: Article 2 and obtaining injunctions to prevent travel abroad.
- Re Y (Risk of Young Person Travelling to Join IS) (No 2)  EWHC 2099  2 FLR 229: Use of wardship to provide protection against radicalisation.
- A Local Authority v Y  EWHC 968;  1 WLR 66 Hayden: Article 2.
Protecting children from harm: CN & GN v Poole Borough Council - Jun 2019
Seven 1COR members in landmark Supreme Court case - Jul 2018
Martin Downs successful in international relocation appeal - Feb 2018
Martin Downs and Clare Ciborowska in case concerning placement of a child in The Gambia - Feb 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 13: Tackling radicalisation through the civil courts - Oct 2017
1COR hosts Local Government & Education Law Conference - Sep 2017
1COR Hosts 2017 Court of Protection Conference - Sep 2017
1COR Public Law Seminar – Life, Liberty & Security - Sep 2017
1 COR Annual Magazine: Bundle now available for clients and colleagues - Jul 2017
Martin Downs in the significant family case of Re W (No. 4) - Jul 2017
The Times reports on Chambers extremism cases - Jun 2017
Martin Downs in new Radicalisation Judgment about protecting older children and vulnerable adults - Apr 2017
Marina Wheeler QC in Public Interest Immunity & Radicalisation case - Apr 2017
Martin Downs participating in LSE Featherstone Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Moot 2017 - Mar 2017
Film Screening & Panel Discussion about Radicalisation - Nov 2016
Martin Downs in Right to Life Radicalisation case - Oct 2016
Martin Downs in case on first anniversary of Modern Slavery Act - Jul 2016
Martin Downs in Inquest on Police Failures to protect a child - Jun 2016
Martin Downs speaks on the future of employment law at SJ Live 2016 - Mar 2016
Martin Downs in second Court of Appeal challenge on Adoption - Dec 2015
Martin Downs on Newsnight on the subject of radicalisation - Oct 2015
Martin Downs acts in internet vilification case - Apr 2015
Martin Downs in case about infant bone density - Mar 2015
Martin Downs in Court of Appeal win on Positive Duties of Local Authorities under Article 8 - Jul 2014
Martin Downs co-authors Same Sex Marriage book - May 2014
Martin Downs in Court of Protection case setting out a new approach to deprivation of liberty cases - Jan 2014
Martin Downs and Jacqueline Roach appeared in the case of “E” - Jan 2014
Martin Downs in Court of Protection forced marriage case - Jan 2014
Martin Downs and Aviva Le Prevost successful in Court of Appeal challenge on Wardship - Jan 2013
Four Members in key case on the independence of Children’s Guardians - Jul 2011