Film Screening & Panel Discussion about Radicalisation - Nov 2016
Employment & Equality
In Employment and Professional Regulatory Law, many of Martin’s cases involve Ofsted and Cafcass and concern safeguarding issues (e.g. Head teachers, Psychiatrists and SWs).
Martin also has particular expertise in discrimination law, including in the provision of goods, facilities and services especially as concerns disability and sexual orientation discrimination.
- Kerslake v. North West London Hospitals NHS Trust  EWHC 1999 (QB);  Med LR 568, QB.
- King v Health Professions Council  UKEAT 0169_11_1307 (2012): Race Discrimination : Discrimination by other bodies.
- Negotiated settlement of £160,000 in age discrimination case (2007).
- Re: A (2006): reasonable adjustment in case under the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 concerning the ability of a hearing impaired person to participate in Council meetings.
- Siegler v Worthing Borough Council : successfully represented the leader of the Council and the Council defending a claim of sex discrimination by the Chief Executive which involved new law concerning: Article 10 (Freedom of Expression), the Status of Council’s Monitoring Officers, the liability of Councillors and the Leader of the Council.
Seven 1COR members in landmark Supreme Court case - Jul 2018
Martin Downs successful in international relocation appeal - Feb 2018
Martin Downs and Clare Ciborowska in case concerning placement of a child in The Gambia - Feb 2018
1COR Public Law Seminar – Life, Liberty & Security - Sep 2017
1COR hosts Local Government & Education Law Conference - Sep 2017
1COR Hosts 2017 Court of Protection Conference - Sep 2017
Martin Downs in the significant family case of Re W (No. 4) - Jul 2017
1 COR Annual Magazine: Bundle now available for clients and colleagues - Jul 2017
The Times reports on Chambers extremism cases - Jun 2017
Martin Downs in new Radicalisation Judgment about protecting older children and vulnerable adults - Apr 2017
Marina Wheeler QC in Public Interest Immunity & Radicalisation case - Apr 2017
Martin Downs in Right to Life Radicalisation case - Oct 2016
Martin Downs in case on first anniversary of Modern Slavery Act - Jul 2016
Martin Downs in Inquest on Police Failures to protect a child - Jun 2016
Martin Downs speaks on the future of employment law at SJ Live 2016 - Mar 2016
Martin Downs in second Court of Appeal challenge on Adoption - Dec 2015
Martin Downs on Newsnight on the subject of radicalisation - Oct 2015
Martin Downs acts in internet vilification case - Apr 2015
Martin Downs in case about infant bone density - Mar 2015
Martin Downs in Court of Appeal win on Positive Duties of Local Authorities under Article 8 - Jul 2014
Martin Downs co-authors Same Sex Marriage book - May 2014
Martin Downs in Court of Protection case setting out a new approach to deprivation of liberty cases - Jan 2014
Martin Downs and Jacqueline Roach appeared in the case of “E” - Jan 2014
Martin Downs in Court of Protection forced marriage case - Jan 2014
Martin Downs and Aviva Le Prevost successful in Court of Appeal challenge on Wardship - Jan 2013
Martin Downs participating in LSE Featherstone Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Moot 2017 - Mar 2017
Four Members in key case on the independence of Children’s Guardians - Jul 2011