Law Pod UK Ep. 138 : Mediation with Marina Wheeler QC - Mar 2021
Marina Wheeler QC has recently returned to Chambers following the publication of her family memoir, The Lost Homestead. She resumes practice in public and administrative law and family cases with a cross-border or national security angle. She will also prioritise mediation and investigations, especially in the workplace, building on years she spent litigating employment disputes.
Before starting work at the Bar, Marina obtained a Master’s Degree in EC law from Brussels University and practised there, specialising in competition, trade and environment law. As a junior appointed to the Attorney General’s ‘B’, then ‘A’ Panel, she undertook large volumes of work for Central Government Departments and Agencies, including the Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Justice and Home Office, predominantly involving prisons, mental health, armed conflict, and radicalisation, as well as employment work. Her local government work has involved child protection and adult social care, usually with a privacy or human rights element. She has also frequently worked for the NHS in employment disputes and the reconfiguration of hospital services, involving the adequacy of consultation, alleged breaches of legitimate expectation and the Public Sector Equality Duty.
Marina is an accredited mediator and previously taught mediation and alternative dispute resolution at Regents University, London, on a part-time basis.
- Re C (A Child) (no 2) (Application for Public Interest Immunity)  EWHC 692 (Fam): Disclosure in care proceedings where the child’s father had been denied passport on national security grounds; alternative means to protect child.
- Brighton & Hove City Council v VM & Others  (unreported): Determination of the habitual residence of a Russian child and appropriate jurisdiction to consider long-term care, applying Brussels II and Hague Convention.
- Serdar Mohammed and Ors v Secretary of State for Defence  EWCA Civ 843: challenge to UK Armed Forces’ right to detain Afghan nationals suspected of participation in armed conflict.
- Belhadj and Ors v Security Services and Ors  UK IPTrib 13 132-H,  UKIPTrib 13 132-9H: challenge to the legality of the regime for the interception, use, retention etc of legally privileged communications.
- NXB v Crown Prosecution Service  EWHC 631 (QB) claim under the Human Rights Act by victim of sexual abuse following withdrawal of the alleged abuser’s prosecution.
- R (Enfield London Borough Council) v Barnet Clinical Commissioning Group and Ors  EWHC 3496 (Admin) allegations of inadequate consultation, procedural unfairness and breach of Public Sector Equality duty in context of closure of Chase Farm Hospital Accident & Emergency Department.
- R (Ealing London Borough of Ealing) v NHS England  EWHC 3255 challenge on multiple public law grounds to the reconfiguration of hospital services in 8 London boroughs.
Is this unlawful? Judicial Review under scrutiny Webinar - Dec 2020
Law Pod UK Ep. 128: The Cumberlege Review with Marina Wheeler QC - Oct 2020
When the Courts closed their doors: remote hearings, should they stay with us? - Sep 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Summer 2020 – Issue 6 - Sep 2020
Law Pod UK Ep 75: The Prevent Guidance in Universities - Apr 2019
1COR Public Law Seminar – Life, Liberty & Security - Sep 2017
Law Pod UK – Radicalisation & Child Protection Interview with Marina Wheeler QC - Aug 2017
Law Pod UK Ep. 8: Radicalisation and the Terrorism Prevention & Investigation Measures Act - Aug 2017
PII Certificate in extremism case need not preclude a fair trial - Jun 2017
Martin Downs in new Radicalisation Judgment about protecting older children and vulnerable adults - Apr 2017
Marina Wheeler QC Master of Ceremonies at China Britain Trade Expo 2017 - Jan 2017
Profits from the sale of the Inquest Book given to the Bar Pro Bono Unit - Nov 2016
Marina Wheeler QC writes in The Times about government proposals on Human Rights and the deployment of troops overseas - Oct 2016
‘Six of the Best!’ 6 members appointed Queen’s Counsel - Jan 2016
Marina Wheeler talking about Syrian Injunctions on Law in Action - Nov 2015
Martin Downs and Jacqueline Roach appeared in the case of “E” - Jan 2014
Neil Garnham QC, Marina Wheeler and Karwan Eskerie successfully defend NHS proposals for Chase Farm Hospital - Nov 2013
Neil Garnham, Marina Wheeler and Karwan Eskerie secure victory for the NHS in North West London reorganisation - Oct 2013
Marina Wheeler successfully defends an Integrated Health and Social Care Authority - May 2013
Philip Havers QC, Jeremy Hyam and Marina Wheeler in judicial review on consultation re closure of centres for paediatric cardiac surgery - Mar 2013
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2013 - Feb 2013
Marina Wheeler in Royal Brompton Hospital cardiac services lawful consultation case - Apr 2012
New Appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels – February 2012 - Feb 2012
New appointments to the Attorney General’s A, B and C Panels - Mar 2010