International Women’s Day: Joanna Glynn QC, Clodagh Bradley QC, Suzanne Lambert & Leanne Woods reflect on life at the Bar - Mar 2019
Professional Discipline & Regulation
Leanne has significant experience in the field of professional discipline and her practice includes the regulation of healthcare professionals, the police and the military. In the healthcare field, Leanne regularly appears in interim and full hearings in the MPTS, the GDC and other tribunals. She also acts for practitioners in NHS England proceedings and in internal disciplinary hearings brought by NHS Trusts. Leanne acts in police and MOD police misconduct hearings, including as a legal advisor. She has been described by a Metropolitan Commander as the most effective presenting officer who had appeared before her.
Leanne is a tenacious advocate and skilled at cross-examination and is known for her client friendly approach and sound judgment.
- GMC v Dr N: Appeared at an FTP hearing before the MPTS on behalf of a doctor accused of inappropriate sexual relationships with 2 patients, dishonesty and clinical failures. While the GMC argued that erasure was the appropriate sanction, the Panel imposed a short suspension.
- GMC v Dr R: Acted in a full FTP hearing for a junior doctor facing a number of dishonesty charges, which were denied. The Tribunal accepted there had been no dishonesty and that the doctor’s fitness to practice was not impaired. The GMC then made an application for a warning, which Leanne successfully argued against.
- GMC v Dr F: Acted in FTP hearing for a consultant who had treated a family member and who was accused of dishonesty.
- GMC v Dr B: In a highly contentious review hearing concerning a doctor’s mental health, Leanne undermined the reliability of the GMC’s evidence of alcohol testing and persuaded the Panel that previously imposed conditions relating to alcohol consumption had not been breached.
- GDC v Dr S: Leanne appeared for a practitioner who had criminal convictions for prescribing-related offences in a mixed health and misconduct FTP case.
- GMC v Dr M: Acted at an interim hearing for a doctor accused of a number of dishonesty allegations, including criminal fraud. The GMC argued for an interim suspension in the public interest but Leanne persuaded the Panel that conditions were sufficient.
Leanne Woods speaks on disclosure at AvMA Inquests Conference - May 2018
1COR members featured in the latest AvMA Newsletter - Apr 2018
Clodagh Bradley QC appointed as Vice Chair and Leanne Woods elected as an Executive Committee Member of the PNBA - Dec 2017
Peter Skelton QC and Robert Wastell, Leanne Woods instructed as counsel for the inquest into Mr Perepilichnyy’s death - Apr 2017
Leanne Woods appointed to the Attorney General’s B Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown - Jul 2016
Leanne Woods appears in inquest into death of 14 year old girl in psychiatric in-patient care - Jun 2016
Leanne Woods acts in high profile inquest into millionaire’s death - Jul 2015