Leanne Woods successfully defends GP accused of multiple counts of dishonesty by GMC - Dec 2023
Leanne has a wealth of experience in clinical negligence claims and undertakes a full range of work for both claimants and defendants. She conducts trials in the High Court and County Courts, and can also rely on her experience of questioning expert witnesses in inquests.
Recent examples of Leanne’s clinical negligence instructions are:
- Failures in privately funded fertility treatment
- Complex birth injuries
- Advising a private healthcare institution on vicarious liability and non delegable duties.
- Failures in A&E treatment leading to tetraplegia
- Brachial plexus injury arising from birth
- Failures in mental health care leading to self-inflicted death of a high earner
- L v Optimax Clinics and V: Represented an ophthalmic surgeon in claim concerning corneal decompensation.
- S v NHS Trust: Acted for child who suffered a brachial plexus injury at birth.
- T v an NHS Trust: Represented claimant in high value catastrophic spinal cord injury which led to paraplegia.
- FS v a fertility clinic: Acted for claimant in an unusual claim arising from private IVF treatment.
- JW v an NHS Trust: Acted for claimant who suffered incomplete tetraplegia caused by the defendant’s admitted negligence (led by Henry Witcomb QC). The primary dispute was quantum and the matter settled for a very significant sum.
- WG v an NHS Trust: Represented claimant in a claim arising from failures in consent and performing spinal surgery. After a mediation the defendant accepted the claimant’s six figure settlement offer.
- Chadwick v Royal Liverpool & Broadgreen University Hospitals Trust: Successfully defended NHS Trust in a trial relating to wound dehiscence.
- DS v Ministry of Defence: JSM settlement for more than £500,000 in a claim arising out of an alleged failure to diagnose colon cancer.
- JC v an NHS Trust: Acted for claimant who suffered significant injury after the defendant’s failure to properly investigate and diagnose a sports injury. The claimant was a barrister and the damages included a tricky claim for loss of earnings. The matter was successfully settled at mediation.
- BG v Dr A: Acted for defendant in JSM settlement of high value claim for long term psychiatric injury arising out of over-prescription of benzodiazepines and failure to diagnose PTSD.
- Manzi v Kings College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust  EWHC 1101 (QB): Acted for claimant in claim arising out of retained products of conception.
1COR Seminar: Pitfalls for Professionals on Social Media - May 2023
Congratulations to our four members appointed to the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Aug 2022
Get insight from Leanne Woods and Jessica Elliott at AvMA’s Clinical Negligence: Law Practice and Procedure 2021 - Jan 2021
Coroner makes 11 recommendations in inquest involving a stillbirth - Nov 2020
Inquests in Interesting Times Webinar - Jun 2020
Leanne Woods secures settlement for psychiatric injury suffered by mother after a still-birth - May 2020
Leanne Woods discusses Fatal Claims at the AvMA Clinical Negligence: Law Practice & Procedure 2020 - Jan 2020
Clodagh Bradley QC elected Chair of the Professional Negligence Bar Association - Jan 2020
International Women’s Day: Joanna Glynn QC, Clodagh Bradley QC, Suzanne Lambert & Leanne Woods reflect on life at the Bar - Mar 2019
Leanne Woods speaks on disclosure at AvMA Inquests Conference - May 2018
1COR members featured in the latest AvMA Newsletter - Apr 2018
Clodagh Bradley QC appointed as Vice Chair and Leanne Woods elected as an Executive Committee Member of the PNBA - Dec 2017
Peter Skelton QC and Robert Wastell, Leanne Woods instructed as counsel for the inquest into Mr Perepilichnyy’s death - Apr 2017
Leanne Woods appointed to the Attorney General’s B Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown - Jul 2016
Leanne Woods appears in inquest into death of 14 year old girl in psychiatric in-patient care - Jun 2016
Leanne Woods acts in high profile inquest into millionaire’s death - Jul 2015