Congratulations to our four members appointed to the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Aug 2022
Leanne has a wealth of experience in clinical negligence claims and undertakes a full range of work for both claimants and defendants. She conducts trials in the High Court and County Courts, and can also rely on her experience of questioning expert witnesses in inquests.
Recent examples of Leanne’s clinical negligence instructions are:
- Failures in privately funded fertility treatment
- Complex birth injuries
- Advising a private healthcare institution on vicarious liability and non delegable duties.
- Failures in A&E treatment leading to tetraplegia
- Brachial plexus injury arising from birth
- Failures in mental health care leading to self-inflicted death of a high earner
- L v Optimax Clinics and V: Represented an ophthalmic surgeon in claim concerning corneal decompensation.
- S v NHS Trust: Acted for child who suffered a brachial plexus injury at birth.
- T v an NHS Trust: Represented claimant in high value catastrophic spinal cord injury which led to paraplegia.
- FS v a fertility clinic: Acted for claimant in an unusual claim arising from private IVF treatment.
- JW v an NHS Trust: Acted for claimant who suffered incomplete tetraplegia caused by the defendant’s admitted negligence (led by Henry Witcomb QC). The primary dispute was quantum and the matter settled for a very significant sum.
- WG v an NHS Trust: Represented claimant in a claim arising from failures in consent and performing spinal surgery. After a mediation the defendant accepted the claimant’s six figure settlement offer.
- Chadwick v Royal Liverpool & Broadgreen University Hospitals Trust: Successfully defended NHS Trust in a trial relating to wound dehiscence.
- DS v Ministry of Defence: JSM settlement for more than £500,000 in a claim arising out of an alleged failure to diagnose colon cancer.
- JC v an NHS Trust: Acted for claimant who suffered significant injury after the defendant’s failure to properly investigate and diagnose a sports injury. The claimant was a barrister and the damages included a tricky claim for loss of earnings. The matter was successfully settled at mediation.
- BG v Dr A: Acted for defendant in JSM settlement of high value claim for long term psychiatric injury arising out of over-prescription of benzodiazepines and failure to diagnose PTSD.
- Manzi v Kings College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust  EWHC 1101 (QB): Acted for claimant in claim arising out of retained products of conception.
Get insight from Leanne Woods and Jessica Elliott at AvMA’s Clinical Negligence: Law Practice and Procedure 2021 - Jan 2021
At AvMA's virtual Clinical Negligence: Law Practice and Procedure Conference 2021 on Thursday 28 January 2021, a range of expert speakers will cover all stages of the investigative and litigation...
Coroner makes 11 recommendations in inquest involving a stillbirth - Nov 2020
Barristers from 1 Crown Office Row appeared at the inquest into the death of a baby following a failed forceps delivery. Baby F suffered a fractured skull and it was found that his injuries implied an...
Inquests in Interesting Times Webinar - Jun 2020
Experts in Inquest Law discuss different key topics related to inquest during a pandemic at this webinar on 18th June 2020 chaired by Clodagh Bradley QC. Peter Skelton QC covered Article 2 in...
Leanne Woods secures settlement for psychiatric injury suffered by mother after a still-birth - May 2020
Leanne Woods was instructed by Adele Wilde and Nicola Rawlinson-Weller of Enable Law to represent a mother who sustained a serious psychiatric injury following the still-birth of her first child. ...
Leanne Woods discusses Fatal Claims at the AvMA Clinical Negligence: Law Practice & Procedure 2020 - Jan 2020
On the second day of the AvMA Clinical Negligence: Law Practice & Procedure 2020, Leanne Woods will give insight into Fatal Claims at 15.05. This is a key conference for those looking to develop...
Clodagh Bradley QC elected Chair of the Professional Negligence Bar Association - Jan 2020
We are delighted to announce that Clodagh Bradley QC has become the new Chair of the Professional Negligence Bar Association (PNBA) with effect from January 2020, taking over from Caroline Harrison...
International Women’s Day: Joanna Glynn QC, Clodagh Bradley QC, Suzanne Lambert & Leanne Woods reflect on life at the Bar - Mar 2019
Joanna Glynn QC Call Year: 1983 Silk Year: 2002 Why did you decide to become a barrister? Neither of my parents went to university and I claim no early ambition to pursue a legal career,...
Leanne Woods speaks on disclosure at AvMA Inquests Conference - May 2018
Yesterday Leanne Woods spoke about disclosure as part of the AvMA Inquests Conference, designed to be a comprehensive guide to the practice and procedures when representing a family at an inquest. Her...
1COR members featured in the latest AvMA Newsletter - Apr 2018
Rachel Marcus, Leanne Woods, Dominic Ruck-Keene and Jo Moore all contributed articles in the recently released AvMA newsletter, which you can download here : AvMA March 2018 Newsletter Leanne Woods...
Clodagh Bradley QC appointed as Vice Chair and Leanne Woods elected as an Executive Committee Member of the PNBA - Dec 2017
Tuesday night saw the election of a new PNBA Executive Committee and we are delighted to announce that two of our members were appointed: Clodagh Bradley QC is now Vice-Chair of the Executive...
Peter Skelton QC and Robert Wastell, Leanne Woods instructed as counsel for the inquest into Mr Perepilichnyy’s death - Apr 2017
Alexander Perepilichnyy, 44, died after collapsing near his home in Surrey on 10th November 2012 following a lunch with his wife that day. Peter Skelton QC, Robert Wastell and Leanne Woods are...
Leanne Woods appointed to the Attorney General’s B Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown - Jul 2016
We are delighted to announce that Leanne Woods has been appointed as Junior Counsel to the Crown on the B Panel. This appointment will be effective from 1 September 2016. Leanne moves up from the C...
Leanne Woods appears in inquest into death of 14 year old girl in psychiatric in-patient care - Jun 2016
Leanne Woods represented a junior doctor in the inquest into the death of a 14 year old girl using a ligature while an in-patient in the Priory's High Dependency Unit. This inquest has received...
Leanne Woods acts in high profile inquest into millionaire’s death - Jul 2015