Leanne Woods discusses Fatal Claims at the AvMA Clinical Negligence: Law Practice & Procedure 2020 - Jan 2020
Leanne has extensive experience of clinical negligence claims, acting for claimants and defendants in both medical and dental work. She drafts pleadings, advises, appears in trials in the High Court and County Court and regularly attends settlement meetings. Leanne has specialist experience of claims arising from custodial or secure settings and claims involving the armed forces, including for psychiatric injury.
In January 2020, Leanne spoke about Fatal Claims at AvMA Clinical Negligence: Law Practice & Procedure 2020.
Examples of recent instructions:
- Failures in privately funded fertility treatment.
- Fatal Accident Act claim against GP relating to cardiac condition in a young patient.
- Negligently damaging vas deferens during abdominal surgery.
- Dental claims.
- Failure in antenatal care leading to death in utero and psychiatric injury to mother.
- JW v an NHS Trust: Acted for claimant who suffered incomplete tetraplegia caused by the defendant’s admitted negligence (led by Henry Witcomb QC). The primary dispute was quantum and the matter settled for a very significant sum.
- WG v an NHS Trust: Represented claimant in a claim arising from failures in consent and performing spinal surgery. After a mediation the defendant accepted the claimant’s six figure settlement offer.
- Chadwick v Royal Liverpool & Broadgreen University Hospitals Trust: Successfully defended NHS Trust in a trial relating to wound dehiscence.
- DS v Ministry of Defence: JSM settlement for more than £500,000 in a claim arising out of an alleged failure to diagnose colon cancer.
- JC v an NHS Trust: Acted for claimant who suffered significant injury after the defendant’s failure to properly investigate and diagnose a sports injury. The claimant was a barrister and the damages included a tricky claim for loss of earnings. The matter was successfully settled at mediation.
- BG v Dr A: Acted for defendant in JSM settlement of high value claim for long term psychiatric injury arising out of over-prescription of benzodiazepines and failure to diagnose PTSD.
- Manzi v Kings College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust  EWHC 1101 (QB): Acted for claimant in claim arising out of retained products of conception.
Clodagh Bradley QC elected Chair of the Professional Negligence Bar Association - Jan 2020
International Women’s Day: Joanna Glynn QC, Clodagh Bradley QC, Suzanne Lambert & Leanne Woods reflect on life at the Bar - Mar 2019
Leanne Woods speaks on disclosure at AvMA Inquests Conference - May 2018
1COR members featured in the latest AvMA Newsletter - Apr 2018
Clodagh Bradley QC appointed as Vice Chair and Leanne Woods elected as an Executive Committee Member of the PNBA - Dec 2017
Peter Skelton QC and Robert Wastell, Leanne Woods instructed as counsel for the inquest into Mr Perepilichnyy’s death - Apr 2017
Leanne Woods appointed to the Attorney General’s B Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown - Jul 2016
Leanne Woods appears in inquest into death of 14 year old girl in psychiatric in-patient care - Jun 2016
Leanne Woods acts in high profile inquest into millionaire’s death - Jul 2015