Jonathan Metzer appears for family at inquest concerning death of a young man with cannabis-induced psychosis - Jan 2023
Jonathan is regularly instructed by claimants in immigration matters, including for judicial review (see Immigration). He is also developing a practice in prison law, where has undertaken advisory work for long-sentence prisoners in relation to potential claims for judicial review under Article 5. He has recently represented families in a legal challenge to Coronavirus prison restrictions breaching right to family life (Article 8).
He is appointed to the Attorney General’s C Panel of Civil Counsel.
Jonathan is recommended as a Rising Star by The Legal 500.
- SH v Secretary of State for Justice (2021): Successful judicial review claim in relation to refusal of an oral hearing to consider security categorization of prisoner serving life sentence for murder. Permission granted at oral hearing in High Court, following which claim was settled successfully. Instructed by the claimant.
- AQ v Secretary of State for the Home Department (2020): Successful claim for judicial review arising from refusal of visit visa. SSHD agreed to reconsider decision following service of written grounds.
- SS v Secretary of State for the Home Department (2019): Successful claim for judicial review arising from unreasonable refusal of Article 8 claim without right of appeal. Decision withdrawn following grant of permission on the papers.
- MJ v Secretary of State for the Home Department (2018): Permission to apply for judicial review granted at oral hearing in relation to a claim that the SSHD erred in assessment of whether Section 3C Leave had been extinguished. Decision withdrawn following grant of permission.
- DC and OC v Entry Clearance Officer (2018): Successful judicial review of refusal of visit visas on the basis that the immigration interviews were conducted unfairly. Decision withdrawn and visit visas granted following consideration of written grounds.
- MC and ML v Secretary of State for the Home Department (2018): Out of hours telephone application to the Administrative Court for an urgent injunction against removal to the Philippines. Praised by the judge for arguing “with considerable determination and ingenuity”.
- FN v Secretary of State for the Home Department (2018): Out of hours application to the Administrative Court for an urgent injunction against removal to Afghanistan. Prepared judicial review grounds and undertook telephone hearing.
- MD v Secretary of State for the Home Department (2018): Upper Tribunal judicial review arising out of defective service of a decision notice. Prepared amended grounds and undertook hearing. Subsequently instructed to prepare application for First-tier Tribunal appeal out of time for which permission was granted.
- AN v Ministry of Justice (2017): Advice on quantum in relation to unlawful detention claim.
Law Pod UK Ep. 176: Significant Cases of 2022 - Dec 2022
Inquest into drug overdose on psychiatric unit uncovers failings in care - Jun 2022
Inquest into death on psychiatric ward in Essex concludes - May 2022
Jonathan Metzer and Carl Rix examine Article 2 ECHR in inquests in AvMA’s November newsletter - Nov 2021
Report recommends greater regulation for private care facilities - Sep 2021
Jonathan Metzer appears at inquest into death of man with Down’s Syndrome - Jul 2021
Jonathan Metzer succeeds on behalf of Ghanaian with HIV - Mar 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 134: the significant cases of 2020 - Jan 2021
Coroner makes 11 recommendations in inquest involving a stillbirth - Nov 2020
Inquest into death of Sharon Kelly concludes - Nov 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Summer 2020 – Issue 6 - Sep 2020
Congratulations on our Six Members appointed to the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Aug 2020
Jonathan Metzer instructed in challenge to Coronavirus prison restrictions - Aug 2020
Jonathan Metzer succeeds in asylum deportation appeal - Jul 2020
Jonathan Metzer succeeds in Iraq asylum claim - Apr 2020
Jonathan Metzer successfully appeals “unduly harsh” deportation - Feb 2020
Jonathan Metzer completes Pegasus Scholarship in the USA - Jan 2020
Law Pod UK Ep. 94: A Rogue Prorogation? - Sep 2019
Jonathan Metzer and Charlotte Gilmartin to travel the world as Pegasus Scholars in 2019 - Sep 2019
1COR walk in the LLST’s London Legal Walk 2019 - Jun 2019
Scope of Duty and Causation: Chester v Afshar Revisited - Jun 2019
Jonathan Metzer appears in significant double inquest in Ipswich - Apr 2019
Law Pod UK Ep. 59: The cases that defined 2018 - Dec 2018
Success for local residents’ association in Pro Bono Planning Inquiry - Dec 2018
Jonathan Metzer nominated for ‘Young Pro Bono Barrister of the Year’ in the Bar Pro Bono Awards 2018 - Oct 2018
Jonathan Metzer succeeds in Sri Lanka asylum appeal - Jun 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 24: Right of residence under EU rules - Mar 2018
Jonathan Metzer succeeds in sham marriage appeal - Feb 2018
Jonathan Metzer and Charlotte Gilmartin appear in significant planning inquiry regarding proposed development - Feb 2018