Jonathan Metzer succeeds on behalf of Ghanaian with HIV - Mar 2021
Inquests in the Coroners’ Court are a significant part of Jonathan’s practice. He appears regularly in cases involving medical or psychiatric treatment, including cases of apparent suicide, and has extensive experience of witness handling and preparing written submissions.
- GH (2020): 4 day Article 2 inquest with jury after deceased took own life by drowning. Jury recorded causative failings by hospital mental health nurses in assessing level of risk in days leading up to the death. Instructed by the family.
- JR (2019): 2 day inquest into a death of an elderly woman with obesity who developed a pressure sore which became septic while she was bedbound. Acted for her GP, whom the Coroner excluded from criticism in his conclusion.
- Kemp and Kemp (2019): 6 day inquest convened under Article 2 into the deaths of a married couple who were discovered with multiple stab wounds hours after the husband had been discharged from hospital after attempting suicide. Coroner recorded a narrative conclusion which included significant criticisms of the care provided at the mental health hospital trust. Instructed by the family.
- IJ (2019): Inquest arising from death of elderly women following failure by hospital trust to arrange adequate anticoagulation follow-up, amid serious allegations of abuse by care home. Instructed by the family.
- KM (2019): 2 day inquest arising out of a death after 24 hours in intensive care following a failed intubation. Represented consultant intensivist who had been subject to significant but poorly-founded criticism in the hospital trust’s serious incident report.
- JW (2018): Deceased died after a two-week period in hospital in which she did not receive a necessary operation to reattach her gastric feeding tube. Article 2 inquest with conclusion which included finding of neglect by hospital trust in three separate ways. Instructed by the family.
- DG (2018): Deceased discovered in state of asphyxiation at his local park. Conclusion of suicide recorded. Instructed by GP who had had consultation with deceased several days before his death.
- LD (2017): Deceased died after apparently jumping off cliff over the Port of Dover. Article 2 inquest with narrative conclusion. Coroner also wrote a letter to the Care Quality Commission regarding his concerns. Instructed by the family.
Law Pod UK Ep. 134: the significant cases of 2020 - Jan 2021
Coroner makes 11 recommendations in inquest involving a stillbirth - Nov 2020
Inquest into death of Sharon Kelly concludes - Nov 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Summer 2020 – Issue 6 - Sep 2020
Congratulations on our Six Members appointed to the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Aug 2020
Jonathan Metzer instructed in challenge to Coronavirus prison restrictions - Aug 2020
Jonathan Metzer succeeds in asylum deportation appeal - Jul 2020
Jonathan Metzer succeeds in Iraq asylum claim - Apr 2020
Jonathan Metzer successfully appeals “unduly harsh” deportation - Feb 2020
Jonathan Metzer completes Pegasus Scholarship in the USA - Jan 2020
Law Pod UK Ep. 94: A Rogue Prorogation? - Sep 2019
Jonathan Metzer and Charlotte Gilmartin to travel the world as Pegasus Scholars in 2019 - Sep 2019
1COR walk in the LLST’s London Legal Walk 2019 - Jun 2019
Scope of Duty and Causation: Chester v Afshar Revisited - Jun 2019
Jonathan Metzer appears in significant double inquest in Ipswich - Apr 2019
Law Pod UK Ep. 59: The cases that defined 2018 - Dec 2018
Success for local residents’ association in Pro Bono Planning Inquiry - Dec 2018
Jonathan Metzer nominated for ‘Young Pro Bono Barrister of the Year’ in the Bar Pro Bono Awards 2018 - Oct 2018
Jonathan Metzer succeeds in Sri Lanka asylum appeal - Jun 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 24: Right of residence under EU rules - Mar 2018
Jonathan Metzer succeeds in sham marriage appeal - Feb 2018
Jonathan Metzer and Charlotte Gilmartin appear in significant planning inquiry regarding proposed development - Feb 2018