1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Spring 2021 – Issue 9 - Jul 2021
Jim has an established practice in personal injury acting on behalf of claimants and defendants, including in abuse claims. He was led by Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC, appearing for the appellant children in CN & GN v. Poole Borough Council. The Supreme Court considered whether and in what circumstances local authorities might owe a duty at common law to children at risk of harm.
He has been instructed in a number of cases involving E-Coli 0157 and has defended several claims brought by members of fitness gyms. He has also acted for insurers and injured persons in claims arising from road traffic accidents and represented claimants and defendants in numerous occupiers’ liability claims.
He also produces practice notes on personal injury law for LexisNexis PSL.
- Acted for man who sustained a brain injury after falling down a set of stairs at a bar. Successfully resisted application to withdraw a pre-action admission.
- Secured withdrawal of admission as to where an accident had taken place in case concerning an accident in a transit zone at a ferry port.
- Represented family in civil damages claim under HRA against police.
- CN & GN v Poole BC UKSC 25: UK Supreme Court considered the extent to which local authorities and their employees owe a common law duty to protect children from harm caused by third parties. Led by Lizanne Gumbel QC & Iain O’Donnell.
- Sexual abuse by a secondary school teacher upon a pupil.
- Sexual assault of a work experience student by a company employee.
- A local authority’s failure to intervene in a case involving the repeated sexual abuse of children within a family home.
- Abuse by a class teacher upon a primary school pupil.
Sarabjit Singh QC and Jim Duffy appear in key Supreme Court immigration case - May 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 136: Essential Inquest Law Updates - Feb 2021
Jim Duffy to speak at Association of Breast Surgery Webinar - Oct 2020
Successful defence of GP surgery in wrongful birth claim - Oct 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Spring 2020 – Issue 5 - May 2020
Scope of Duty and Causation: Chester v Afshar Revisited in Leeds - Feb 2020
Jim Duffy represents family of Natasha Wild - Dec 2019
1COR Brighton’s annual Ghulam Hussain Volleyball Cup is here! - Jul 2019
Protecting children from harm: CN & GN v Poole Borough Council - Jun 2019
Jim Duffy and Jo Moore appointed to the Attorney General’s C Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown - Jan 2019
Jim Duffy in medical ‘neglect’ inquest - Nov 2018
Jim Duffy appears in judicial review over murder conviction - Oct 2018
Seven 1COR members in landmark Supreme Court case - Jul 2018
Jim Duffy writes about his experiences at the Paris Bar for Counsel Magazine - May 2018
Jim Duffy in Subject Access Request win for GP - Feb 2018
Gideon Barth, Jim Duffy, Lizanne Gumbel QC and Mark Wainwright running the London and Brighton Marathons - Jan 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 17: Prospects for the Infected Blood Inquiry - Nov 2017
Clinical negligence and the duty to disclose: full house of 1COR members in high profile Court of Appeal case - Jun 2017
Jim Duffy acts for family in suicide case where Adequate and Appropriate precautions not taken - Apr 2017
Jim Duffy in Successful Unfair Dismissal Claim - Mar 2017
UK Human Rights Blog is pick of best legal bloggers by The Times - Feb 2017
Jim Duffy in TUPE unfair dismissal win - Oct 2015
We send a team to annual charity beach volleyball tournament organised by our Brighton Chambers - Jul 2015
Jim Duffy has returned to full-time practice after a year spent in the Supreme Court - Oct 2014
1COR are delighted to announce that Lois Williams and Jim Duffy have accepted our offer of tenancy - Sep 2013