1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Spring 2020 – Issue 5 - May 2020
Jim has considerable experience of representing Interested Persons at inquests.
He has represented families in cases spanning a wide range of medical issues, including iatrogenic bowel injury, sepsis and dementia.
Jim also often represents clinicians on behalf of medical defence organisations and represents the Ministry of Justice in prison death inquests. Recent cases have involved venous thromboembolism, neonatal deaths, a failed tracheostomy following tongue ablation surgery, and suicide. He has particular experience of inquests in a mental health context and of the role of Article 2 in inquests.
- Wild Inquest: complex Article 2 inquest into death of young woman who was unlawfully killed.
- Patterson Inquest: represented the family of woman whose death was contributed to by medical neglect.
- Peter Maher Inquest: represented a GP who carried out a mental health assessment on the deceased. This two-week jury inquest involved complex Article 2 ECHR issues and multiple state agencies.
- TJ Pimm Inquest: Appeared for the family in an Article 2 inquest where jury found that adequate precautions were not taken to manage a young man’s suicide risk.
- XW inquest: acted for the family of Mr W, who ended his life in a Birmingham hospital.
- ED inquest: appeared on behalf of the deceased’s treating GP.
- ETF inquest: represented an orthopaedic surgeon in a complex venous thromboembolism case.
- NW inquest: currently acting for the family of a woman killed by her schizophrenic boyfriend having successfully argued that the investigation engages Article 2 and requires a jury.
Scope of Duty and Causation: Chester v Afshar Revisited in Leeds - Feb 2020
Jim Duffy represents family of Natasha Wild - Dec 2019
1COR Brighton’s annual Ghulam Hussain Volleyball Cup is here! - Jul 2019
Protecting children from harm: CN & GN v Poole Borough Council - Jun 2019
Jim Duffy and Jo Moore appointed to the Attorney General’s C Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown - Jan 2019
Jim Duffy in medical ‘neglect’ inquest - Nov 2018
Jim Duffy appears in judicial review over murder conviction - Oct 2018
Seven 1COR members in landmark Supreme Court case - Jul 2018
Jim Duffy writes about his experiences at the Paris Bar for Counsel Magazine - May 2018
Jim Duffy in Subject Access Request win for GP - Feb 2018
Gideon Barth, Jim Duffy, Lizanne Gumbel QC and Mark Wainwright running the London and Brighton Marathons - Jan 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 17: Prospects for the Infected Blood Inquiry - Nov 2017
Clinical negligence and the duty to disclose: full house of 1COR members in high profile Court of Appeal case - Jun 2017
Jim Duffy acts for family in suicide case where Adequate and Appropriate precautions not taken - Apr 2017
Jim Duffy in Successful Unfair Dismissal Claim - Mar 2017
UK Human Rights Blog is pick of best legal bloggers by The Times - Feb 2017
Jim Duffy in TUPE unfair dismissal win - Oct 2015
We send a team to annual charity beach volleyball tournament organised by our Brighton Chambers - Jul 2015
Jim Duffy has returned to full-time practice after a year spent in the Supreme Court - Oct 2014
1COR are delighted to announce that Lois Williams and Jim Duffy have accepted our offer of tenancy - Sep 2013