Marwo Kassim: Jim Duffy represents family of epileptic woman who fell from balcony - Nov 2023
Employment & Equality
Jim advises and represents employees and government departments in tribunal claims.
He has experience of cases involving unfair dismissal, TUPE transfers, whistleblowing, holiday pay, indirect and direct discrimination and discrimination arising from a disability.
- Eirian Morris v Carmarthenshire County Council: obtained significant damages following the unfair dismissal of a former ski centre coordinator at Pembrey Country Park in Carmarthenshire. Following a five-day hearing, the tribunal held that Mr Morris had been unfairly dismissed, but that he had not been dismissed as a result of his alleged whistleblowing disclosures.
- P & Others v CMY: acted for the successful claimants in a heavily contested TUPE transfer case involving a group of nursery workers. The tribunal initially reconsidered its decision to find for the Claimants, but upheld that decision following written submissions.
- Perratt v City of Cardiff Council: disability discrimination relating to Asperger’s Syndrome. Jim appeared before the Employment Tribunal where the judge considered himself bound to find for the Respondent due to the EAT decision in Griffiths regarding comparators. The case was overturned on appeal and remitted to the tribunal for a fresh determination.
- J & Others v S: advised the claimant care workers in relation to a holiday pay claim.
- CAM v HMRC: Represented HMRC in an unfair dismissal claim (decision pending).
Jim Duffy represents family of baby who died after failure to provide Vitamin K - Oct 2023
Caerdav v. HMRC: Jim Duffy successfully defends legitimate expectation appeal - Aug 2023
Gosport scandal: High Court orders fresh inquests into hospital deaths - Jun 2023
Law Pod UK Ep. 181: The Bill of Rights Bill is Back - Mar 2023
Law Pod UK Ep. 170: Justice from the Chaos of Conflict, with Aonghus Kelly - Oct 2022
Law Pod UK is back – and with new presenters! - Sep 2022
Congratulations to our four members appointed to the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Aug 2022
A New Bill of Rights? The Bill of Rights Bill Explained Webinar - Jul 2022
Stephen Holden prison death: Jim Duffy represents Ministry of Justice - Jun 2022
Plane Meaning: EU customs special procedures scrutinised in aviation company’s appeal - May 2022
Psychiatric patient choking death contributed to by neglect: Jim Duffy appears for son of Rita Britten - May 2022
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Spring 2021 – Issue 9 - Jul 2021
Sarabjit Singh QC and Jim Duffy appear in key Supreme Court immigration case - May 2021
Law Pod UK Ep. 136: Essential Inquest Law Updates - Feb 2021
Jim Duffy to speak at Association of Breast Surgery Webinar - Oct 2020
Successful defence of GP surgery in wrongful birth claim - Oct 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Spring 2020 – Issue 5 - May 2020
Scope of Duty and Causation: Chester v Afshar Revisited in Leeds - Feb 2020
Jim Duffy represents family of Natasha Wild - Dec 2019
1COR Brighton’s annual Ghulam Hussain Volleyball Cup is here! - Jul 2019
Protecting children from harm: CN & GN v Poole Borough Council - Jun 2019
Jim Duffy and Jo Moore appointed to the Attorney General’s C Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown - Jan 2019
Jim Duffy in medical ‘neglect’ inquest - Nov 2018
Jim Duffy appears in judicial review over murder conviction - Oct 2018
Seven 1COR members in landmark Supreme Court case - Jul 2018
Jim Duffy writes about his experiences at the Paris Bar for Counsel Magazine - May 2018
Jim Duffy in Subject Access Request win for GP - Feb 2018
Gideon Barth, Jim Duffy, Lizanne Gumbel QC and Mark Wainwright running the London and Brighton Marathons - Jan 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 17: Prospects for the Infected Blood Inquiry - Nov 2017
Clinical negligence and the duty to disclose: full house of 1COR members in high profile Court of Appeal case - Jun 2017
Jim Duffy acts for family in suicide case where Adequate and Appropriate precautions not taken - Apr 2017
Jim Duffy in Successful Unfair Dismissal Claim - Mar 2017
UK Human Rights Blog is pick of best legal bloggers by The Times - Feb 2017
Jim Duffy in TUPE unfair dismissal win - Oct 2015
We send a team to annual charity beach volleyball tournament organised by our Brighton Chambers - Jul 2015
Jim Duffy has returned to full-time practice after a year spent in the Supreme Court - Oct 2014
1COR are delighted to announce that Lois Williams and Jim Duffy have accepted our offer of tenancy - Sep 2013