Jim Duffy represents family of Natasha Wild - Dec 2019
Employment & Equality
Jim advises and represents employees and government departments in tribunal claims.
He has experience of cases involving unfair dismissal, TUPE transfers, whistleblowing, holiday pay, indirect and direct discrimination and discrimination arising from a disability.
- Eirian Morris v Carmarthenshire County Council: obtained significant damages following the unfair dismissal of a former ski centre coordinator at Pembrey Country Park in Carmarthenshire. Following a five-day hearing, the tribunal held that Mr Morris had been unfairly dismissed, but that he had not been dismissed as a result of his alleged whistleblowing disclosures.
- P & Others v CMY: acted for the successful claimants in a heavily contested TUPE transfer case involving a group of nursery workers. The tribunal initially reconsidered its decision to find for the Claimants, but upheld that decision following written submissions.
- Perratt v City of Cardiff Council: disability discrimination relating to Asperger’s Syndrome. Jim appeared before the Employment Tribunal where the judge considered himself bound to find for the Respondent due to the EAT decision in Griffiths regarding comparators. The case was overturned on appeal and remitted to the tribunal for a fresh determination.
- J & Others v S: advised the claimant care workers in relation to a holiday pay claim.
- CAM v HMRC: Represented HMRC in an unfair dismissal claim (decision pending).
1COR Brighton’s annual Ghulam Hussain Volleyball Cup is here! - Jul 2019
Protecting children from harm: CN & GN v Poole Borough Council - Jun 2019
Jim Duffy and Jo Moore appointed to the Attorney General’s C Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown - Jan 2019
Jim Duffy in medical ‘neglect’ inquest - Nov 2018
Jim Duffy appears in judicial review over murder conviction - Oct 2018
Seven 1COR members in landmark Supreme Court case - Jul 2018
Jim Duffy writes about his experiences at the Paris Bar for Counsel Magazine - May 2018
Jim Duffy in Subject Access Request win for GP - Feb 2018
Gideon Barth, Jim Duffy, Lizanne Gumbel QC and Mark Wainwright running the London and Brighton Marathons - Jan 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 17: Prospects for the Infected Blood Inquiry - Nov 2017
Clinical negligence and the duty to disclose: full house of 1COR members in high profile Court of Appeal case - Jun 2017
Jim Duffy acts for family in suicide case where Adequate and Appropriate precautions not taken - Apr 2017
Jim Duffy in Successful Unfair Dismissal Claim - Mar 2017
UK Human Rights Blog is pick of best legal bloggers by The Times - Feb 2017
Jim Duffy in TUPE unfair dismissal win - Oct 2015
We send a team to annual charity beach volleyball tournament organised by our Brighton Chambers - Jul 2015
Jim Duffy has returned to full-time practice after a year spent in the Supreme Court - Oct 2014
1COR are delighted to announce that Lois Williams and Jim Duffy have accepted our offer of tenancy - Sep 2013