Law Pod UK Ep. 136: Essential Inquest Law Updates - Feb 2021
Jim has a wide-ranging clinical negligence practice for both claimants and defendants. He is currently instructed in a number of claims brought by children in relation to the late diagnosis of congenital hip dysplasia. He has a particular interest in claims relating to consent. He appeared as junior counsel before the Court of Appeal in ABC v St George’s Healthcare, which concerned the extent of a hospital’s duty to disclose to relatives the existence of a serious genetic disease in a family member.
- CN & GN v Poole BC UKSC 25: UK Supreme Court considered the extent to which local authorities and their employees owe a common law duty to protect children from harm caused by third parties.
- Appeared (unled) on behalf of an NHS Trust in the trial of a £1m cervical cancer claim.
- ABC v St George’s Healthcare NHS Trust: Acted as junior counsel to Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Henry Witcomb QC in the Court of Appeal in an important case on consent and confidentiality obligations in relation to genetic conditions.
- Junior counsel for the Defendant in a high value spinal cord injury case.
- Represented an NHS Trust in defending a complex case concerning a failure to detect a cancerous lesion on the brain.
- Defended a GP accused of failing to diagnose a cerebral infarction.
- Advised the claimant on limitation in a claim relating to delayed diagnosis of skin cancer.
- Defended a dentist in a periodontal disease case.
Jim Duffy to speak at Association of Breast Surgery Webinar - Oct 2020
Successful defence of GP surgery in wrongful birth claim - Oct 2020
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Spring 2020 – Issue 5 - May 2020
Scope of Duty and Causation: Chester v Afshar Revisited in Leeds - Feb 2020
Jim Duffy represents family of Natasha Wild - Dec 2019
1COR Brighton’s annual Ghulam Hussain Volleyball Cup is here! - Jul 2019
Protecting children from harm: CN & GN v Poole Borough Council - Jun 2019
Jim Duffy and Jo Moore appointed to the Attorney General’s C Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown - Jan 2019
Jim Duffy in medical ‘neglect’ inquest - Nov 2018
Jim Duffy appears in judicial review over murder conviction - Oct 2018
Seven 1COR members in landmark Supreme Court case - Jul 2018
Jim Duffy writes about his experiences at the Paris Bar for Counsel Magazine - May 2018
Jim Duffy in Subject Access Request win for GP - Feb 2018
Gideon Barth, Jim Duffy, Lizanne Gumbel QC and Mark Wainwright running the London and Brighton Marathons - Jan 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 17: Prospects for the Infected Blood Inquiry - Nov 2017
Clinical negligence and the duty to disclose: full house of 1COR members in high profile Court of Appeal case - Jun 2017
Jim Duffy acts for family in suicide case where Adequate and Appropriate precautions not taken - Apr 2017
Jim Duffy in Successful Unfair Dismissal Claim - Mar 2017
UK Human Rights Blog is pick of best legal bloggers by The Times - Feb 2017
Jim Duffy in TUPE unfair dismissal win - Oct 2015
We send a team to annual charity beach volleyball tournament organised by our Brighton Chambers - Jul 2015
Jim Duffy has returned to full-time practice after a year spent in the Supreme Court - Oct 2014
1COR are delighted to announce that Lois Williams and Jim Duffy have accepted our offer of tenancy - Sep 2013