Congratulations on our Six Members appointed to the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel - Aug 2020
Isabel has extensive experience in VAT, customs, excise and rating.
Listen to Isabel discuss Taxation and Human Rights on episode 93 of our podcast Law Pod UK here.
- Paul Newey T/A Ocean Finance v HMRC (2015, 2018, 2019): led by Owain Thomas QC, acted for HMRC in this case concerning abuse of law in the field of VAT in the Upper Tribunal, the Court of Appeal and First Tier Tribunal upon remittal.
- Universal Cycles Ltd, Brands Holdings Ltd & SportsDirect.com Retail Ltd v HMRC (2019): led by Owain Thomas QC, resisted an application for permission to bring judicial review challenging decisions relating to customs duty, anti-dumping duty and VAT on imported bicycles, acting for HMRC. The case is proceeding to trial in the First Tier Tribunal.
- Sub One Ltd T/A Subway v HMRC (2012, 2014): led by Philippa Whipple QC for the Appellant company in the Upper Tribunal and Court of Appeal. The case involved issues of European law and domestic legislation concerning the VAT liability of the supply of takeaway food.
- Wilmslow Financial Services Ltd v HMRC (judgment pending): acted for HMRC before the First Tier Tribunal in a case concerning characterisation of supplies and abuse of law in the context of an offshore structure, in the field of VAT.
- Whittalls Wine Ltd, European Food Brokers Ltd v HMRC (2018): led by Stephen Nathan QC for HMRC in related appeals concerning the system of approvals for duty suspended alcohol pursuant to the Warehousekeepers and Owners of Registered Goods Regulations 1999.
View full profile »
LawPod UK Ep. 106: Vicarious Liability with Robert Kellar QC & Isabel McArdle - Apr 2020
Law Pod UK Ep. 93: Taxation and Human Rights - Sep 2019
Scope of Duty and Causation: Chester v Afshar Revisited - Jun 2019
Owain Thomas QC and Isabel McArdle successful in Abuse of Law Appeal - Apr 2018
Law Pod UK Ep. 23: Lawsuits against the police for arrest operations - Feb 2018
Owain Thomas QC and Isabel McArdle appear in Court of Appeal in Abuse Case and Tax Avoidance - Feb 2018
Owain Thomas QC and Isabel McArdle successful in resisting permission in tax judicial review - Feb 2018
Philip Havers QC and Isabel Mcardle represent APIL in a judicial review brought by the Association of British Insurers - Jan 2017
Profits from the sale of the Inquest Book given to the Bar Pro Bono Unit - Nov 2016
Is Crowdfunding the New Way of Financing Judicial Reviews? - Nov 2016
Clodagh Bradley and Isabel McArdle appear in inquest into the death of a cyclist with undiagnosed ruptured spleen - Sep 2014
Owain Thomas wins for HMRC in Court of Appeal VAT dispute with Sub-One represented by Philippa Whipple QC and Isabel McArdle - Jun 2014
New appointments to the Attorney General’s A and C Panels - Feb 2014
Pupillage Inside Out: new guide to pupillage by Isabel McArdle and former 1COR pupil Daniel Sokol is published - Jun 2013
Nine members of 1COR involved in Al-Sweady Public Inquiry - Mar 2013
Owain Thomas wins for HMRC in VAT dispute with Sub-One represented by Philippa Whipple QC and Isabel McArdle - Oct 2012
Team of four from 1COR in Supreme Court win in nuclear testing limitation case - Mar 2012