1 Crown Office Row nominated in five categories at the Legal 500 Bar Awards - Jul 2022
Lizanne Gumbel QC is a highly distinguished practitioner in Personal Injury claims. She is instructed in a range of catastrophic injury claims, including spinal injuries, arising out of road traffic and other accidents.
Lizanne’s work also involves multi-party actions and she recently acted for over 700 Claimants in the litigation against Mr Ian Paterson, Spire Healthcare and HEFT. Lizanne has also been instructed in a number of multi-party actions arising out of sexual abuse and physical abuse of children and adults in institutions including the Jimmy Savile litigation and the Winterbourne View claims. Lizanne is now acting for woman abused by Mr Harvey Weinstein. Claims against private hospitals, the catholic church and local authorities have involved a number of cases which have resulted in the development of the law in respect of vicarious liability.
Lizanne is recommended as a leading and a star silk for both the clinical negligence and personal injury fields by Chambers & Partners Directory UK and in the Legal 500. In 2016, Lizanne won both the Legal 500 Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence Silk of the Year, and the Chambers and Partners Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence Silk of the Year.
In 2017 she won the Legal 500 Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence Silk of the Year for the second year running.
- Barclays Bank v Various Claimants  UKSC 13: Determining whether an employer (bank) was vicariously liable for sexual assaults committed by an independent contractor (doctor) during medical examinations of the bank’s current and prospective employees.
- Various Claimants v H and MIB (2020): Acted for group of survivors and families of victims in the Westminster Bridge Terrorist Attack.
- DFX and others v Council (2020): Representing 4 Claimants bringing a claim against a local authority for failure to remove them from an abusive home.
- KPR v OF (2020): Catastrophic injuries sustained in road traffic accident.
- PQ v Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust EWHC 1676: Unusual birth injury claim.
- GHI v North Bristol NHS Trust (2020): Birth injury claim settled in excess of £16.7m.
- BXY v Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (2020): High value birth injury case where mother was prescribed Nifedipine before the birth.
- CN & GN v Poole BC  UKSC 25: The Supreme Court summarised the circumstances when a local authority could be said to have a duty of care when exercising statutory functions. A local authority which had exercised functions under the Children Act 1989 s.17 and s.47 had not had a duty of care towards the children concerned as it had not assumed responsibility for their safety or welfare.
- R (on the application of criminal injuries compensation authority) (Claimant) v First Tier Tribunal criminal injuries compensation) & MB (Interested Party)  EWHC 2745.
- JL v (1) Michael George Bowen (2) Scout Association , C of A  EWCA Civ 82.
- RE v GE  EWCA Civ 287.
- P (by his litigation friend the official solicitor) v Cheshire West & Chester Council & Anor: P & Q (by their litigation the Official Solicitor) v Surrey County Council  UKSC 19.
- Darren Griffin v George Ponsonby EWHC 3410.
- Robert Ayres v Mahesh Odedra  EWHC 40.
- Boyle v Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis  EWCA.
- Ndiki Mutua and others v The Foreign and Commonwealth Office  EWHC 2878.
- JGE v (1) English Province of our Lady of Charity (2) Trustees of the Portsmouth Roman Catholic Diocesan Trust  EWCA Civ 938.
- Maga (By his litigation friend the Official Solicitor) v Trustees of the Birmingham Archdiocese of the Roman Catholic Church  EWCA Civ 256.
- David Rowe v Dolman  EWCA 1040.
- X and Y v London Borough of Hounslow  EWCA civ 285.
- A v Iorworth Hoare  HL 2 WLR 311.
- Jake Pierce v Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council  EWHC 2968 (QB).
- C v Middlesborough Council  EWCA Civ 1746.
- Sowden v Lodge, Crookdake v Drury  1WLR 2129.
- McDonnell v Congregation of Christian Brothers Trustees (formerly Irish Christian Brothers) & Anor, Hof L  1 AC 1101.
- Z v UK  2 FLR 612.
- S v Gloucestershire County Council, C of A  FLR 825.
- Heil v Rankin  2 WLR 1173.
- X v Bedfordshire CC  2AC 663.
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Winter 2021/2022 – Issue 11 - May 2022
APIL Webinar 2/2 on Presenting, Defending and Valuing a Wrongful Birth Claim with Lizanne Gumbel QC & Shahram Sharghy - Mar 2022
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Summer/Autumn 2021 – Issue 10 - Jan 2022
APIL Child Brain Injury Conference with The Children’s Trust - Nov 2021
Wrongful Birth Claims: Theory, Law and Practice Webinar - Oct 2021
Lizanne Gumbel QC discusses adolescent sporting injuries at the Cambridge Annual Medico-Legal Conference - Sep 2021
University of Buckingham: Montgomery and the impact on medical negligence claims with Lizanne Gumbel QC - May 2021
1COR Quarterly Medical Law Review – Autumn 2020 – Issue 7 - Feb 2021
Inquest into the death of Rachel Johnston concludes - Feb 2021
Congratulations to Lizanne Gumbel QC on completing 10 Marathons - Dec 2020
QMLR Special Release: Lizanne Gumbel QC comments on Swift v Carpenter - Oct 2020
London Legal Support Trust x10 Challenge - Oct 2020
Impact of Covid-19 on Healthcare Webinar - May 2020
Lizanne Gumbel QC & Rob Kellar QC in Supreme Court case on vicarious liability - Apr 2020
Lizanne Gumbel QC and her son Mark Wainwright aim to run their 11th consecutive Marathon - Mar 2020
Hear from Lizanne Gumbel QC at APIL’s next London regional group meeting - Feb 2020
1COR named ‘Personal Injury & Clinical Negligence Set of the Year’ with Lizanne Gumbel QC named ‘Personal Injury & Clinical Negligence Silk of the Year’ by Legal 500 - Dec 2019
Lizanne Gumbel QC and Robert Kellar QC in Supreme Court case on Vicarious Liability: Barclays Bank v Various Claimants - Nov 2019
Three 1COR members appear in landmark case about disclosure of confidential medical information: ABC v St George’s Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust & ors - Nov 2019
Silks at 1COR on both sides in £30m Birth Injury Settlement - Oct 2019
1COR walk in the LLST’s London Legal Walk 2019 - Jun 2019
Protecting children from harm: CN & GN v Poole Borough Council - Jun 2019
Six members of chambers participate in Inner Temple outreach events - Apr 2019
Delighted to have 1COR, Lizanne Gumbel QC and Matthew Hill nominated in the Legal 500 Awards - Dec 2018
Brain damaged child receives over £18m in compensation in clinical negligence claim - Oct 2018
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Robert Kellar win in the Court of Appeal regarding an employer’s vicarious liability in Barclays Bank v Various Claimants - Jul 2018
Seven 1COR members in landmark Supreme Court case - Jul 2018
30th AvMA Clinical Negligence Conference - Jun 2018
Celebrate and support Lizanne Gumbel QC, her son Mark Wainwright and Natasha Barnes running the London Marathon for LOOK this year - Apr 2018
1COR sponsors BISWG ‘Risky Business: The Challenges of Acquired Brain Injury through the Stages of Life’ - Mar 2018
The Supreme Court has granted permission to the Appellants to appeal in the case of CN (1) & GN (2) v Poole Borough Council - Mar 2018
The Liability of Private Hospitals and Clinics - Feb 2018
Lizanne Gumbel QC and Paul Reynolds featured in The Lawyer’s Top 20 Cases of 2018 - Feb 2018
Gideon Barth, Jim Duffy, Lizanne Gumbel QC and Mark Wainwright running the London and Brighton Marathons - Jan 2018
Must the family be told? Genetic information and liability for non-disclosure to relatives - Jan 2018
Lizanne Gumbel QC shortlisted for Legal 500 ‘Personal Injury / Clinical Negligence Silk of the Year’ Award - Nov 2017
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Robert Kellar win preliminary issue on vicarious liability in the High Court - Sep 2017
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Robert Kellar succeed in establishing vicarious liability of bank for sexual assaults - Aug 2017
Clinical negligence and the duty to disclose: full house of 1COR members in high profile Court of Appeal case - Jun 2017
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC gets set to run both Brighton and London Marathons in 2017 for Look UK - Feb 2017
Paterson case listed in The Lawyer top 20 cases for 2017 - Jan 2017
Double Win In 2016 Chambers & Partners Awards - Oct 2016
Legal 500 UK 2017 Awards Announcement - Oct 2016
African sex abuse claim settlement approved - Mar 2016
Four members of 1COR in duty of care case - Jun 2015
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Henry Witcomb secure the right to anonymity for children and protected parties - Feb 2015
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC settles case for family of mother who died hours after leaving A&E where she was told that her crippling pain was caused by holding her baby daughter the wrong way. - Feb 2015
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Henry Witcomb represent the family in the inquest into the death of Horatio Chapple who was attacked by a polar bear. - Jul 2014
1COR appear on both sides of a case where a woman had to wait 100 minutes for an ambulance - Jun 2014
London and Brighton Members and clerks take part in the London to Brighton Bike ride - May 2014
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC in her 6th London Marathon - Apr 2014
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC, Henry Witcomb and Duncan Fairgrieve in Supreme Court cases re Cheshire West on Deprivation of Liberty - Mar 2014
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Henry Witcomb represented the family of a girl whose brain was accidentally injected with glue - Jan 2014
Martin Downs and Jacqueline Roach appeared in the case of “E” - Jan 2014
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC, Henry Witcomb and Duncan Fairgrieve appear as interveners in the Supreme Court cases on Deprivation of Liberty - Oct 2013
1COR’s double success at the Chambers & Partners Bar Awards 2013 - Oct 2013
1COR team in the London Bikeathon supporting Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research - Sep 2013
1COR shortlisted for 5 awards in the 2013 Chambers & Partners Bar Awards - Sep 2013
4 members of 1COR in the Kenyan Mau Mau Case - Jun 2013
One Crown Office Row instructed on Jimmy Savile claims - Feb 2013
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC listed in the Lawyer Hot 100 - Jan 2013
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Henry Witcomb represent a barrister seriously injured in Fleet Street wine bar fall - Dec 2012
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC, Henry Witcomb and Peter Skelton are representing women who were wrongly diagnosed with breast cancer by Ian Paterson - Nov 2012
Lizanne Gumbel QC, Justin Levinson and Peter Skelton are instructed to act on behalf of sexual abuse victims of Jimmy Savile - Oct 2012
Four Members of One Crown Office Row appear in the Kenyan Mau Mau Case - Oct 2012
Four members in the latest Kenyan Mau Mau Uprising case hearing - Jul 2012
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Justin Levinson win in the Court of Appeal on the liability of the Catholic Church for priest abuse - Jul 2012
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Justin Levinson in the Court of Appeal on the liability of the Catholic Church for priest abuse - May 2012
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC in her 4th London Marathon - Apr 2012
Book Launch for Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Justin Levinson - Mar 2011
Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC and Justin Levinson in key Court of Appeal case on liability of Catholic church for abuse by its priests - Mar 2010